360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, was fishing Atlantis canyon Thursday night. Lost about 5" off the tip on a rather small ~30lb Yellowfin. I was jigging with a 10oz. hammered Diamond jig, fought the fish for around 5 seconds and POP !

I don't know what happened? The good news is that I landed the fish !

Anyway, just wondering what the warranties are on these rods?

Do I have to send it somewhere?

·
1,334 Posts
Time for a new one??? :)

Did something hit the blank to ding it?? I gotta start getting rod socks for my stuff to protect it during transport!

·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taz: I'm almost sure that's not the case. We had about 15lbs of pressure on this Tuna and "POP". About 5" of the tip fell off and the line then wrapped around the next guide, messing that up in the process.

How the line didn't break is a miracle.

·
1,334 Posts
Wow, that is odd! That's not much pressure for a 600gr rod! It would be interesting to hear what they say!

·
122 Posts
the same thing happen to me with the original 600 gram oti blank,i send it back to my rod builder he contacted the people from oti and got a new blank
the next week,i was really happy with the customer service,got my rod back
got it built and it's been working really good without a problem.

·
1,657 Posts
I think a lot of tip damage to conventionals comes from the line burn. I have noticed that occasionally the line will form a half hitch around the tip while jigging. It catches on the guides, thats why you don't see it as much with spinners or spiral wraps, because the guides are on the bottom and the line doesn't catch.

But back to my theory. I think that over time the small line burns cause a weak point that breaks under load.

Again, just a theory.

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
Burns, as from the line hitting the blank under load?

I think he means when you drop your rod tip while jigging the lind goes slack and wraps. It does happen from time to time. I think this is true and a good theory, but I don't think this is the cause in this case.

I've seen several of these 600g models break all around the same area. Some brand new and others after several trips.

·
1,334 Posts
Ah, ok. Haven't jigged a conventional, it's been all spiral or spinners for me so far! I was thinking more of the flex in the rod and the line hitting the blank during a run because the guides were too low or too far apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts