Brief Big E report July 24-26

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Bellyups, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The Big E is as great a fishing vessel as ever. I was very glad to be on board again. There were 40 anglers on the trip.

The catch of the trip was a 110 pound AJ. That thing was huge. I do not know the angler.

The second best catch was a 110 pound warsaw pulled from the depths of 750 feet. Of course it floated up on the opposite side of the boat freaking everyone out and the fisherman wondering where the hell his fish went.

We had an excellent grouper bite.

On one drop, I caught 2 grouper with one hook

Yellowfin were limitted. About 35 were caught, mostly 35-50 pounds and about 90% of them on jigs and chunks.

Blackfin were large up to about 30 pounds and were frequently caught on topwaters.

A 65 pound +/- wahoo was caught on a jig at night and, unbelievably, there were no tangles!

Overall, a very good trip, but the YFT did not cooperate to satisfaction.

rtran likes this.
  2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

scott glad to hear of another successful trip. where the pics? a big grouper floating up on the opposite side of the boat wouldve been hilarious! imagine the shock on those guys faces!

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Thanks for the report Scott. Sounds like it was a great trip.

4. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Hey Scott, how about more details? Did Grescobia catch ALL the Yellowfin?

I sure miss fishing the Big E, but haven't been out yet this year. Waiting for September, October, November.

Tom - DBG

5. luckydogiv

luckydogiv Junior member

Hey Scott,

Great fishing with you. Great trip.

Mike

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

grescobia got a nice yf throwing surface iron on the bow. grouper was the highlight with over 90 caught. the majority where scamp. also black , marbled, yellowedge, hind,strawberry , gatsby, warsaw. Plenty of almaco jack and some big a.j. The blackfin topwater bite was mostly all larger fish. The best blackfin hit I have ever had was right at the end of the last night. It met the lure on top of the water and did a large circle on top of the water then excellerated away for another 30 ft or so at light speed before it reentered the water! the snapper where caught in 200' and all big. the 400' spot produced 5 or so in the 20lb.+ range . and the lucky angler with a big wahoo on jig in the middle of the night!

7. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

Did you take any picture? Which floater did you fish at? It seemed like you guys did pretty well on other species except yft.

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I have a couple grouper pics which I will post when I get home. I did not have my camera for the big AJ or Warsaw, but plenty of pictures were taken and I hope someone will post. That AJ was HUGE.

We did excellent catching grouper and large blackfin. Good on AJs and snapper. Fair on YFT.

I think we fished Gunnison and a couple of deepwater drill rigs.

9. surfsideperson

surfsideperson Member

hello, to a new board, i usually live on 2coolfishing, and recently found this website. i have not had much time to explore it, and am looking forward to doing so. I was on my first trip with these guys on the Big E. I will not go into the specifics as that has been covered, i would like to say hello to all the guys i met, and say thanks for helping me out. Ed, without your OTI Popper i would not have caught that awsome yellow fin tuna. that i weighed at Capt Marks Seafood, scale it went 66 pounds, the largest black fin tuna i weighed last nite went 32 pounds also caught on your, (now mine) OTI popper. Thanks a million. Fathom, it was very nice to meet you and i had a nice time throwing topwaters at tuna 2 nites in a row, what a freakin hoot. So as i said to you guys out there , i am off to go find some new gear i have already started to think about my next trip. please guys keep in touch and and lets hope we can take another trip on the Big E , again. nice to meet all of you guys, shoot me a pm. i got some cool pics.

10. surfsideperson

surfsideperson Member

pic of black fin

Attached Files:

11. surfsideperson

surfsideperson Member

another pic

Attached Files:

12. atunatado

atunatado Member

Good trip, thousands of pounds of fish caught, and everybody made it back to the dock in one piece. No hooks in anglers or crew.

What it comes down to is that we (I) have gotten a little spoiled on the wide open tuna bite. Memories of 20+ yellowfin in ONE DRIFT, still taunt me.

I missed out on the YFT, but did catch my share of blacks most for bait, I brought home a couple, my first marble grouper, along with a couple of scamp, a strawberry and a snowy? a couple of almaco jacks, a couple of 12lb+ snapper, a queen trigger fish and a BULL squirrel fish. :)

I didnt think I would be back with the new pricing, but gave it go and damn glad I did. The addition of the galley, the ice machine, and the refrigerators, made it even more comfortable.

Captain Raul, Captain John , Kalieb, Josh, David, Moose, JT, et al, thank you guys for your effort, hope to see you all again soon.

Carlos

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Everyone expects wide open bite but it is not like that all the time.
    Put your time on the rail and maybe you will be part of another wide open bite.

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Does the Big E still chum like crazy?

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Does the Big E still chum like crazy?

I've never seen any boat chum more than the Big E

16. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

pic of black fin
    Welcome to the forum.

It was a blast catchin!:cool:

17. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Thanks for the Report Scott.. glad you got to get out and catch some..

18. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Welcome to the board Surfside. Wish I could have made the trip but it sounds like there wasn't room. My schedule at work is gonna hamstring me for the next few months with the Big E's schedule. Good wahoo at night on a jig. That's a first for sure.

Fred

19. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

These were pretty typical grouper for the trip. Some were smaller and some were larger.

Justin, it was great to meet you. Congratulations on your great trip!

Mike and Steve, it was great seeing you again!

Fred and the Corpus guys, I can't wait to fish with you all again!

First picture, Grescobia with a Grouper. Warning to fish--don't mess with Grescobia!!!:) He'll kill you.

Next 2, me with a couple of grouper. I caught 4 on jigs and 4 on squid.

Attached Files:

20. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Nice groupers! What jigs did you use?

21. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Nice groupers! What jigs did you use?

Diamond jigs. Work them near the bottom.