bretabaker got his first bluefin on a jig

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bret and myself went up to Cape Cod yesterday (10-10) and we enjoyed fine bluefin fishing with 100 plus lbs. He got a nice bluefin in 110 - 120 lbs range on a jig. OTI's 200g Jumbo jig did it again. :)

[​IMG]
    Bret fighting with JM Power Spell 350g rod and Saliga 40.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used 500g JM Power Spell Spinning rod and Zeebaas reel.
    [​IMG]

2. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Good job guys! Looks like it was a great day to be on the water!

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Congratulations to both of you, I am jealous with you guys.

4. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

5. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Nice fish guys. Congrats.

6. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Wat to go Bret! Nice tuna. What'd you think of the 350g rod? It looks like it's got plenty of strength for tuna.

Fred

7. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I know you liked that rod Fred ;)

8. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

You're right. Think it's more appropriate than the 500g rod for most fishermen. Looks like it'll handle a fish too. Seems way lighter than the 500g.

Fred

9. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Awesome.... nice feeeesh!!!!

10. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Fantastic pictures! Congratulations to both of you....Bret it is good to see you back in action!

11. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Great fish! Congrats Bret...that's one heck of a catch!

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Wat to go Bret! Nice tuna. What'd you think of the 350g rod? It looks like it's got plenty of strength for tuna.

Fred
    As you see in the picture, the 350g rod has enough backbone even for tuna over 100 lbs. I had much bigger fish on a jig on the same rod, but unfortunately I lost the fish as the main line got frayed.
    However I rate the rod up to 20 - 23 lbs max drag though the rod can handle heavier drag.

Fighting a big tuna estimated over 150 lbs with 350g JM rod.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

HOLY SHIT!!! SOOOO JEALOUS B[email protected]!! CONGRATS!
    Brian, didn't I ask to make a sick call and join us ? :)

14. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

bret congrats on your first bluefin on jig ..

15. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

congrats on the fish, great report/pics

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Thanks everyone....it was a very nice day. we left the dock around 4AM and went to catch live pogeys. We only wanted about 20....but ended up with about 1,000! we were on top of a big school and got tons stuck in the net in about 1 minute. Kil, Choi and I spent about 1.5 hours taking them out. My hands are all cut up from the nets....I need to get them back into fishing shape!

It was very nice to meet Choi. The dinner he made for us on Thursday was fantastic :), and it was very nice of him to drive to and from Green Harbor!

We got out and put a few baits out......then we ran into dogfish and bluefish. I lost a few jigs to blues...they were nice bluefish but my ocea was set to 25lbs of drag so it wasn't much of a fight. Dogfish are terrible.

We made a quick move and Kil fought a fish hooked on a live bait by Choi. A couple minutes later the fish hits the deck. Very nice fish. The bite got slow for a while and we moved. Again, more blues.....they were hitting jigs pretty well as usual.

My fish was hooked by Choi (again). He had the lucky hand apparently. The fish fought very hard...bluefin never give up. This is my first bluefin in 2 years.....last year i only caught yellowfin/blackfin. i forgot how hard they fight! the JM 350 is an excellent rod. As kil said...perfect for drags up to about 22-24 lbs. The saltiga 40 impressed me a lot as well. It has a lot of cranking power, and the drag is very smooth.

Actually what impressed me most was the JM fighting belt. I think it's a great belt, perfect for the fish and tackle we used. It sits lower than most jigging belts. The nice thing too is that the plate is removeable so you can use it with a harness and drop straps if you'd want to.

The capt was fun to fish with as well. He was a funny guy....though he didn't like how heavy our drags were!!! ;)

I did not take the stella 8000 out of the case. I put the 10000 on the popping rod, just for extra line. If we ran into a big school i was going to swap it out, but for the first fish I wanted a lot of line. Oh well...always next time!

I have a lot of fun fishing with Kil...we always catch good tuna! I also want to fish with Choi more often...he had the lucky hand!

Thanks to Kil for inviting me on this trip, it was a lot of fun. the nice part is that you don't need to go out very far for these fish since they're so close in.

oh...all jigged fish were hooked while slow jigging. Also...I used Fisherman 80lbs stealth leader and didn't get bites from tuna. Kil was using JM 80lb fluorocarbon and got more bites. It could just be the right place at the right time....but I think the leader was important so in the future I'll use FC leader when jigging in the daytime.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

VERY NICE Bret. The pictures are awesome too.

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Fred

It is a perfect 22-24 lb drag rod. That's the drag we had on the Saltiga so it worked very well. It had a good amount of power for being such a light rod. Obviously it isn't a monster rod like the 500g, but I think the 500g is overkill for any tuna under 100lbs. In reality, 95% of tuna that are jigged in the gulf and about 95% of yellowfin in the northeast are under 100lbs so this rod works perfectly for them.

If you're specifically fishing for BIG tuna, then yes the 500 would probably be the better choice. But if most fish are 60-80lbs then you don't need that rod.

My fish is over 100lbs so obviously this rod handles it. It took longer than 5 minutes to bring in the boat, but it didn't take too long (I dont think).

Glow jigs were the ticket yesterday. I think hammered diamond jigs and/or metallic sardines would've worked as well....but you just got slaughtered by blues when you dropped them. my pink sardine is completely chewed up from bluefish.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The capt was fun to fish with as well. He was a funny guy....though he didn't like how heavy our drags were!!! ;)

Thanks to Kil for inviting me on this trip, it was a lot of fun. the nice part is that you don't need to go out very far for these fish since they're so close in.

Capt still kept saying I use too heavy drag on the way to the dock. :) He said the drag of Satiga 40 is way over 25 lbs and I had to explain the max drag of the Saltiga is 25 lbs at most.
    He is very nice person and like catch fish as much as his customers. The boat was scheduled to leave 5:00 am, but we arrived there by 3:00 am and we saw his boat. He said he arrived at 1:00 am to catch live bunkers for us. :eek: I wish all charter boat captains like him. :)

Isn't it great we catch big tuna within only a few miles from the shore in 90 - 120 ft ?

See the shoreline in the background
    [​IMG]

20. ALW

ALW Senior Member

Where were you fisning in Cape Cod? Who was the Capt? Congrats on the great catch.