Brand new to jigging, need a little help

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by silky23, May 6, 2009.

1. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Hello, I'm kinda new to this jigging phenom. I'm located in Central jersey. My job makes me travel alot so jigging has really caught my eye. It seems like I can now own a fishing system that is nice and compact for travelling and It seems like I can use alot of the same jigs anywhere with success. I originally got lured into this by a fellow I fished with up in LI last year. He had me sold on the Trevala rods. I own three and have not yet been able to use them yet. Then I found this site and after reading some of the threads here it sounds like what I have built up may not be enough. I do 90% of my fishing out of new jersey and long island most of which through the generosity of anglers who don't mind having a military member tag along. I am on a tight budget but this is what I've managed to scrounge up so far: Trevala f xxh spinning matched w/ a Cabo 80 loaded with #55 diawa boat, Trevala xxh conventional matched with Pelagic/ Omoto Zorro st100 2 speed loaded with #65 suffix braid, and a Trevala MH 65-100 conventional matched with an Avet MXL 5.8 loaded with #30 Momoi braid. Will I be alright out there with this stuff? Keep in mind the MH Trevala was mainly purchased for bassing and such.

2. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Silky,

Welcome to the site and thanks for your service. There are a ton of good people here and a cornucopia of help and information.

The reels you have will work fine. The rods are another story. They are okay for smaller fish but if you hook into a freight train then you will need to upgrade. I will agree with Papio and recommend the Hopper rods. They are tough as nails, reasonably light and cost effective. You can also look at Barefoot rods. Many people here will recommend both of these rods if you are budget conscious.

I highly recommend you read these posts written by Gman. It will answer a lot of questions for you. Post up and let us know if you have any further questions.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/intro-jigging-gman-reference-beginers-4449/

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/intro-popping-gman-reference-beginers-4762/

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Many anglers on this site consider the Trevalas too light for offshore, The rods are like noodles and are very overrated and easily overloaded. Great for blackfins and inshore and freshwater applications.

Your reels mention should suffice. If your budget prevents you from OTI products, you might want to consider the Hoppers or Dragonfly rods as they are great budget rods.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

If you happen to hook a decent tuna or aj they will have their way with you for a while with those rods. Trevallas are a blast but you will get spanked a bunch. Try OTI.

5. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

If you happen to hook a decent tuna or aj they will have their way with you for a while with those rods. Trevallas are a blast but you will get spanked a bunch. Try OTI.
    Thanks a bunch fellas, Looks like I need to start saving my pennies again:) ! Anyone know of a place in my area that sells OTI's or is this something I have to find online. I'm about 40 min from point pleasant, LBI etc. I saw in one of the threads someone had mentioned something about Harry's, I'm even closer to that place.

6. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Thanks, just read through them. Wow, Gman is THE man! I don't have a whole lot of offshore experiance, as far as Tuna goes the only tuna I've ever caught was a 15 lb Blackfin off of Roatan Honduras. Hoping to get more into it up here!

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

south jersey .
    tackle direct and south jersey marina, and hereford inlet marina..all have OTI
    i am located in pa just over the jersey bridges.waltwhitman / CBB

and have all the OTI.
    along with customs .
    if you are in the area stop by.
    hope to start the tuma next month.
    let me know if you are interested in getting a trip

8. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Awesome, I'm always looking for trips, are you a store front? Any OTI in particular I should be looking for? Man, I really thought spending the extra couple of bucks on the trevala f would make a difference.

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Awesome, I'm always looking for trips, are you a store front? Any OTI in particular I should be looking for? Man, I really thought spending the extra couple of bucks on the trevala f would make a difference.

If you need anything PM me or call me at 201-914-4111 Im in NJ as well

10. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Thanks Gman I will be in touch. I looked at a couple of pics of the OTI's on line, man they look sick! I've gotta see one in person. Should be able to pick one up next month. I assume I should be looking for the 5'6 600g model? The tackle direct web site had the 300g model on sale but I assume the heavier gram weight is what I'm going to want. Are the OTI jigs productive?

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

If you are going after big fish then the 600 is the one you want. There was a feature on Bloodydecks last month where they were catching 400# Marlin on the OTI 600 gr with a 20000 Stella SW.