braided line problems

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by kidflex, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

just need to vent a bit about some issues im having with braided line. i was spooling up a reel with 50lb. tuf line xp and half way through the spool i noticed a nick in the line. its not actually a nick though, it is from the weaving process. kind of hard to explain, theres a small section where it appears to be not weaved properly leaving only a coulple threads intact. the other threads seem to be fused together making a small lump outside the line. definitley not caused by improper spooling. this happened to me before with a spool of jerry brown 80lb spectra also. has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

65# spiderwire stealth for me, has never ever, ever ,ever, ever let me down in either fresh or saltwater :)

3. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

cut out the bad spot and tie uni to uni . I often splice line when it shows freying. I have used power pro and izor with good results. I prefer white as its easy to follow your line and is uncoated.

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

just need to vent a bit about some issues im having with braided line. i was spooling up a reel with 50lb. tuf line xp and half way through the spool i noticed a nick in the line. its not actually a nick though, it is from the weaving process. kind of hard to explain, theres a small section where it appears to be not weaved properly leaving only a coulple threads intact. the other threads seem to be fused together making a small lump outside the line. definitley not caused by improper spooling. this happened to me before with a spool of jerry brown 80lb spectra also. has anyone else experienced this problem?

With the cost of braided line, I would pull it off and send it back immediately. I would guess jb took care of that issue immediately, if I know him.

I once spooled 4 - 6/0's with p-line. Used it one day. Lost two trophy striped bass(freshwater) in tennessee and spent that whole night stripping them and respooling them with stren, in the floor of a hotel room. Long night, but I wasn't going to have a repeat.

Life's to short to fish with questionable line. :cool:

5. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Every once in while you'll get a bad spool or defect that made it through the quality control process. It happens with almost any type of mass produced good. Had a bad spool of Power Pro 65lb once that kept snapping at random increments throughout the spool at sometimes less than 10lbs.

Return it if you can. If not, do what I do and use it to practices tying knots :)

6. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Return it. You deserve a new spool of line.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

definitely a pair of bad spools i got. i use izor on most my reels. i didnt return the spools since it would be a pain to put the line back. luckily the jb was towards the end and i loop to looped it and put the short end on the bottom of the reel spool. tuff line xp is still the best line for the price IMO.

8. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Next time consider using tufline 65 instead of the 50.

The 65 although listed as a solid spectra is hollow enough to splice.

Are you using white or green or hivis yellow? Been told that the white has a waxy substance on it. Don't know it personally as I only use the hi vis.

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I understand that JB is responsive to product issues as is the store I purchased a bulk 1000 or 1200 yd (CRS ) spool of 100lb JB solid from.
    So I am not complaining about that but describing what I had and did.

A bulk spool of JB is not cheap nor is most of the tackle we choose to mess with I guess. Anyway....

I was a little more than 3\4 ways of spooling an EXW 4\02 when I came across a "wicker"
    in the line as described above. I inspected it, wrapped the line around my hands and tried to break the line and could not. I was still not satisfied.

I then put some Super type glue on it and marked the area with a felt pin.
    And finished spooling the reel. After taking a break and thinking about this
    I knew I would never be satisfied with knowing the line had a flaw in it.

In my back yard I have 2 rubber coated tool hanging hooks. (like a bow hunter would use to screw in to a tree ) screwed into fence post's a little more than 100 feet apart which is my redneck line counter. :)

I tied off the line and walked it down back and forth until I was back to the flaw, which was 750 feet in to the spool.The flaw was cut out. I then went and got a Basil 100 lb , 100 yd top shot and finished off the reel with that.
    I knew I was going to put a wind on leader on this spool so installing a top shot instead was ok to me.

I then took the remaining 750ft JB and installed it as backing on a OS 95 spinner and topped that with 65 lb 300yd spiderwire ultracast.
    So things have worked out with this issue so far.

In closing though if this was an issue that I did not have a solution for I would of had no problem going back to the supplier for a replacement.

Just my story I thought I would share.

K2

10. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I had a bad batch of white 65# Tuf-Line XP last Fall. I tried contacting the manufacturer who was all too easy to get ahold of when I was ordering the line but were completely inaccessible when there was a problem with the product. I can understand a bad batch from time to time but I expect the maker to stand behind the product and replace the defective goods if need be.

Stren Super-Braid for me now thanks ;)

11. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

That's a manufacturing defect; once in a while it happens. I'm sure the manufacturer will replace the line; go back to the dealer you bought it from.

12. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Basil
    Thanks for posting here again,
    I like your windon's and top shot's
    and glad I can get them here off the
    shelf in the Houston area.

Maybe nothing of importance, but I have seen
    where a windon is not recomended to be used
    in a Kite clip but is standard for an out rigger clip?

I don't understand the difference and plan to start trying kites at night in the gulf.

Regards
    K2

13. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Just something to consider for the future. JB solid 100 is spliceable. It is hollow enough that you can do a splice in it. You could have cut out the bad area and then splice the two back together with an almost invisible splice. I just spooled three 50 Internationals and one 50wide with solid JB 100 and spliced on a hundred feet of hollow JB 100 to it so that my ends will have hollow spectra to facilitate leader insertions directly into the hollow spectra. I then serve the spectra mono connection with two nail knots and that is my almost seamless connection.

14. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I like that idea. I did some avets for a friend of mine last year. We just put straight hollow core on most of the them. But he had two that he had got from someone that were spooled with solid, that I thought was good enough to leave so I tied a bimini in the solid and chinese handcuffed a loop onto the beginning of my top shot. Then did a loop to loop connection. It is a 100% connection, but just splicing in a piece of hollow like you did would have been faster and cleaner.