360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some of that tuf line braid. I was thinking to save some money, I'd use that as backing and connect 100 yards of Daiwa boat braid follow by a short mono leader. This way I can have 3 reels with depthfinder lines using just 1 spool of Daiwa boat braid, since they come in 300 yard spool. Anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Depthfinder line is not cheap.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
As long as you have a connection for the two spectras you are 100% confident in.

I am thinking 3-400 yards of solid braid backing with hollow core topshot. Probably 100 yards so I do not have to worry about the connection getting banged up on multiple all day long casts.

·
1,386 Posts
Both of the prior posts seems like decent ways to save money. Since it only has to be done once, I would use hollow-weave spectra to connect the two solid lines. That way you don't lose any strength in the connection and it flows smoothly through the guides. If you use knots, you'll reduce the strength of the line about 40% at the knot, turning 80# line into 50# line. Also, a big point, Daiwa Boat Braid doesn't overtest. That means that 80# line will break a bit over or a bit under 80 lbs.

Some of us have also been able to open so-called solid weaves and use direct line to line splicing. Check around and you'll find the posts on how to do it.

·
1,386 Posts
A double uni shouldn't reduce your line strength by 40% should it?

Some would say only 35% but 40%, based on testing, is most likely.

The Tuf Line probably over-tests by 20%, meaning that 80# line has an ABS of 95 lbs. So knots in it should hold to about 60 lbs., or so.

In Daiwa 80#, I would not be surprised if it under-tested by 5% (doesn't always though). So it's knotted breaking-strength would most likely be around 45 lbs.

Uni to Uni them together and I bet the connection breaks at 45 lbs., give or take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts