Braid Hooks - any experience?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Jul 27, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I know Mr, Braid is a big name in Stand Up dishing for giants etc, but I believe his biggest contribution is the harnesses and belts he makes. I am not a huge fan of his jigs, but they are OK. Some of the other lures I have seen are....well....questionable.

I found a bargain bin at a fishing store in NY....in a town where there is no business having big game equipment at all....unless it is for deer and moose.
    They had Braid size 6/0 and 7/0 big game hooks that are traditional, inline, J hooks. Verp sharp, stainless steel, flat sides so I think they are forged. They seem strong, but I haven't tested them yet, either at home or on the water. I wonder if he uses his own hooks????

Has anyone used them? they were wicked cheap, so it was worth it either way as I know they will work well for small sharks, bonita, big dolphin, wahoo etc.

The question is....will they hold a 200lb bluefin??

2. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

I have been using them for several years now without a problem on all my trolling lures, daisey chains and spreaders. Up to 355# class fish with great hook sets.

I have not used them for swordfish rigs and chunking tuna(i have other favorites for this use).

They also make a circle that i will be rigging for shark this year.

3. hamptonsurf

Thanks. That’s certainly a vote of confidence. They seem like great hooks and I am sick of spending like 3 bucks per hook on some of these rigs. I bought a mess of them for what works out to about 30 cents a hook. I am surprised I haven’t heard anything about them before.

4. hamptonsurf

can I ask what you use for chinking tuna? I got some Owners out of the same bin that I think would be great.

5. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

No. 5,6 &7 owner super mutu for tuna chunk rigs.

I am also trying the charlie brown ringed no.6 for the first time this year.

It might be me but the extra profile and weight of the braid hooks seem to impart a different action and flash to my trolling lures.

I was also concerned about the gauge of the hook working a larger hole in the fish but I have not seen it to be any worse than the smaller gauge hooks.

I would only use 7691S in the past.

I use jobu no. 11 for my sword rigs.

6. hamptonsurf

I bought a bunch of the MUTU hooks out of the same bin, but most of them are size 10. definitely on the big size, but at $2.50 a pack, it's much better than the $14.00 or so Ive seen elsewhere. They are big, but they are bad ass if the right fish are around.

I too like the JOBUs