Braid for 3 reels and 3 applications

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Wachtel, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

I have 3 reels to fill with braid and would like some input on choice.

Shimano Twinpower 10000, casting lures up to 150g

Shimano Tekota 600, shallow jigging (Cod)

Shimano TLD 20, deep jigging (Cod)

JB looks interesting from what I've read on this forum. I've only used PowerPro earlier since that is what is readily available locally

EDIT: Shorter post

2. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

I don't use PP anymore. Changed to Suffix a while back and am happy with that. Have 2 Accurates that I got spooled w/JB and love it. I'm over PP, broke in random places at inopportune times.

3. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

PP isn't very popular on this board....guess in the "stronger" applications, it's not as good as JB and the like.....

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

All I can say is friends don't let friends fish with PP. Jerry Brown solid braid is what I jig with on three different rods, and have had no problems whatsoever.

5. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

For jigging I like saltiga boat braid, metered line that has held up well on 8 trips deep so far this year. For casting go JB all the way, much softer line and is easy to handle on spinning gear in the solid (have not used the hollow core for casting). I have a stella 10K loaded with JB 65# solid and have not had any problems at all.

6. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

PP isn't very popular on this board....guess in the "stronger" applications, it's not as good as JB and the like.....
    PP is just an inferior product! Lost too many fish to random breaks on freshly spooled gear to ever trust the stuff again.

7. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

man...I wish I would have found this message board B4 I got my reels loaded up a few months back :( You can bet I'll be loading up that "new" 6/0 with JB

8. Wachtel

Wachtel Member

Thanks for all your replies.

bigscrnman, how much 65# JB solid could you load on the 10K? Not sure if I should go with 50# or 65# for the Twinpower. Saltiga Boat Braid, is that the one also branded "Dendoh"?

JB Hollow also sounds interesting, mainly to facilitate splicing to mono leader in 100-130#. Would be nice to get rid of the swivel connection I've used so far. Could learn better knots, I suppose :rolleyes:

9. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Thanks for all your replies.

bigscrnman, how much 65# JB solid could you load on the 10K? Not sure if I should go with 50# or 65# for the Twinpower. Saltiga Boat Braid, is that the one also branded "Dendoh"?

JB Hollow also sounds interesting, mainly to facilitate splicing to mono leader in 100-130#. Would be nice to get rid of the swivel connection I've used so far. Could learn better knots, I suppose :rolleyes:
    ~400yds of the JB on my stella(maybe just a touch short of that-had it spooled at ftu) Always err on the side of caution with braid size. The difference in size(diameter)between 50-65 is next to nothing and the advantage of 65 is you can set 20# of drag and not sweat it! And yes the "dendoh" brand also appears on the boat braid packaging. I hear you about the knots, still practicing with Page Ranking knots-just don't feel that I have it down well enough yet to trust to a big fish!:D My current go to knot for leader connections up to 150# is a 20 turn albright for the braid to mono.