Braid, Diameters, tested Bs and Buy guide

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Paulus, Jul 2, 2013.

1. killula

killula Senior Member

I used it before, and like the product. I'm in for 2 600 yard spools

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

And a wonderful close out sale it was Basil!

3. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Was even willing to settle for 60lb yellow and it wouldn't go through even though it said it was there :(.. oh well 100lb jbhc it is

4. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Are there any test on the 50lb momoi ?

5. r.sheker

r.sheker Member

if you'll send me minimum 40ft, i will have it tested, you can also send me an extra 5ft tied to 5ft leader and ahve your knot tested as well.

6. landlocked

landlocked Senior Member

Hi Basil some impressive stats on the 50lb in the test data I have seen, have you heard of any significant variation between batches?

7. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Pm. Me where to send what

8. landlocked

landlocked Senior Member

did you or anyone actually get your line yet? mine was ordered on March 8 and still says they are preparing shipment under the order status

9. Kim

I got mine two days ago in the USPS mail, it took 5 days counting the day ordered to delivery. I also just checked the Site again and it shows that the Green #50 Threadlock is still available in 500 and 2500 yard spools at the sale pric

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    landlocked likes this.
  10. landlocked

landlocked Senior Member

yeah I got green 2500, hope it has the same characteristics as the batch of 50# that was tested

tugasangler likes this.
  11. Kim

Even if it's shy of that a bit it's still a pretty good deal. If I wasn't stocked up on a lot of braid I would buy another 2500 yard spool.

12. killula

killula Senior Member

What's 60lb Threadlock break at?

13. landlocked

landlocked Senior Member

wow this 50# is easy to splice! when i saw it seemed coated and so thin i thought how is my needle going to get in there, but it surprised me, so much better than JB 60, especially metered

ReelMe likes this.
  14. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

I'm having the same experience with it. Easy to work with for sure.

15. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

That's good to know. I gave up on JBHC 60.

16. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Glad to hear you're finding out how easy it is to splice. I've been telling a lot of you about this but it took a rock bottom clearance sale to get the doubters to try it.

GARRIGA, tugasangler and ReelMe like this.
  17. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Now if they'd only come out with a metered threadlock. :)

18. Kim

I finally got around to spooling up a reel with the Threadlock #50. Probably just my old fingers but I had to work at it a little bit to get the needle started for putting loops into it. However once I got it started it was nice and easy to get the needles through the HC. I used a loop needle and a latch hook and they both worked out fine once I had them aligned in the HC barrel.

The line is nice and soft and I was surprised to not see green residue on the needles after passing them through like I do with PP and JB. I spooled up a Stella 5K mounted on a TVSS63M rod for a fun set up. I had this reel spooled with #30 Fireline and I think I got a little bit more on the spool with the #50 Threadlock.

bnz likes this.
  19. Paulus

Paulus Senior Member

Hi Guys
    Yes, I still do testing.
    After having done all those tests spent hundreds of hours doing it free gratis, I was a little over it. It takes over an hour to do a test and determine the results. You can then see the work that has gone into those listings.
    Even today I ponder about shutting the site down as the costs keep increasing, although a lot of people not only fishermen use that facility to source good lines, or should I say delve between the good and bad.
    I have had some People send in 10 lines and 6 knots, that's more than a full days work, some of those lines had already been tested.
    Lines generally do not change a lot as you can only do so much with the available strands being used renaming and changing colour does little.
    I think that the biggest problem you have would be for a manufacturer change the brand or type of fibre they use, like from Spectra to Dyneema, or from a top of the range Dyneema to a lower class, or cost cutting quality as a way to increase profit. With some of the lines I would worry, as the info is now aging.

I think that a lot of companies got good PR and info on the cheap from my work, many so called manufacturers do not have or have ever had testing capabilities and were relying on me to do free work, so these days I do charge Au$35 per braided line Au$10 per Knot as I got sick of the fishos buying the cheap EBay lines (many fake) and then saying Paulus will test them to see how good they are,,,, no longer for nothing.
    Paulus