Braid 2 Braid: FG?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by GARRIGA, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Fish runs under the boat, boat driver zigs instead of zags and then there is the mystery. Fishing at Petronius about 12 years ago was hooked up and the line was zipping across the water leaving a bubble trail and then nothing. Something with teeth hit it.

2. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Espanol. His post is now gone. Trolling about using double line Uni.

3. espanol

espanol New Member

Sorry, who's Wager or Anthony?
    I was just confused how you double your line to tie a uni2uni? You must love those guys :D

4. Kim

Kim Senior Member

doubled-uni-knot-step-02.jpg doubled-uni-knot-step-03.jpg doubled-uni-knot-step-04.jpg

5. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I win. That was Anthony. ;)

6. PE Pete

PE Pete Member

Bro I just tried it. No go it slipped pretty much immediately.
    I reckon back to back uni would probably be my choice.
    That said when I've had mid spool breakage up at the three kings we just discard the remaining line and respool.

7. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

That’s the best solution. Perhaps I carry small filler spools with enough capacity to fill each reel twice to be on the safe side. I fish three different lines most trips.

The double uni2uni sounds like the best backup plan or where going Light prevents carrying extra spools.

8. PE Pete

PE Pete Member

I go to my friendly tackle store and get 3 or 4 300m spools of PE8 on appro before heading upto the three kings, that way if I or mates use them we pay for them if not I just hand them back.
    I take my Bees Knees line spoiler with me to make sure we can respool properly.

9. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Member

If I'm splicing braid to braid and the two lines are within one size of each other, them I use a blood knot. It is easy even with a bouncing boat. It is plenty strong. If the two braid lines are very different in size or different types of braid, them double uni. Braid to mono (or flurocarbon), them fg or pr knots have held for me.

Can't imagine an fg knot working in a braid-braid app.

:)

10. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Have the Bees Knees. Yet to use it. I think I have the rod holder option. If not I could get it. Would be an option for my long range trips. Not for day trips. I travel light. Three rods. Husky tool bag on wheels. Not sure there’s room for Bees Knees but I’ll check. Didn’t think of that. Thx.

11. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I’ll check out the blood. This is the second recommendation.

12. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Member

For close size lines to be joined I wouldn't use anything except a blood knot. You shouldn't notice it when it goes through your guides unless you look down and seer it.

:)

GARRIGA likes this.
  13. Kim

Kim Senior Member

If you guys are taking equipment to respool, you could probably splice the solid braid with a 10 foot section of HC and run about 5 feet of the solid into each end and anchor the juncture with a nail knot of some half hitches and a Rizutto and do it faster than taking the remaining line off and respooling.

On the plus side you will save $$ by not tossing half a spool of perfectly good braid, you won't have to take the Bees Knees with you and most likely save some time. Not only that the only equipment you would have to bring to do this is about 6 feet of solid SS #60 wire of so doubled up and coiled and some serving line.

14. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Haven’t been able to splice 60 JBHC. Same with 100 although that was Blue and I’m told harder to splice. Haven’t tried 100 TL. Only one I’ve been able to splice is 130 JBHC and that took time. I just suck at splicing. Could be I should have used reading glasses. Might help track that needle entering and weaving. I think.

My only realistic options are L2L connections or respooling. The latter really only viable on long range trips. Day trip would depend how much time between stops and how much needs to be removed. Removing takes me considerable longer than spooling. At home I use a power drill to strip. I’m not bringing another tool with me.

Realistically. For me. L2L most practical. I’ll checkout blood and nail knots. Assuming those exceed the capability of doubled over uni2uni.

15. Obatgalau

Obatgalau New Member

have you try aussie plait? its made for looping up line but i think it should work to join two braid.

16. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Have not but that would be similar to creating a Bimini or five turn Surgeon loop. Avoiding loop to loop connections. Looking for smallest union to reconnect new line to damaged main.

17. Kim

Kim Senior Member

G, I think it's time to Google search for some molecular glue!

18. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

We’ve had that discussion few years back. No such miracle exists. At least not braid to Mono/fluoro. Could there be for braid2braid. That be Batman awesome. :)

19. byrne edwards

byrne edwards Member

Try 2 fg knots and a 1 foot section of hard 100lb. mono.

20. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

That would work.