Boys a quick tip making ur own Wire Assist rigs

Discussion in 'JiggingWorld.com' started by Deepblue water, Jul 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Deepblue water

Deepblue water Active Member

The reason why I’m making the wire assist hooks Is because on my last trip to Dry Tortugas i got cut off multiple times by king fish we all lost hooks jigs and i said not no more

Attached Files:

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  2. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

I've got a 200g OTI Jaeger jig rigged with a set of wire assist hooks on top and about a foot of #7 single strand wire going from the swivel at the split ring to a swivel, then to my top shot. If I want to use a different jig I can switch it out easily. Another rig I've thought about is to just put a single hook on the split rings at the top and bottom of a jig and using a length of wire leader from the swivel at the split ring to the top shot, with a swivel between the line and the top shot, of course. I'm going to try to stay near the bottom as long as I can so I might not have as many problems with toothy fish.

Deepblue water likes this.

3. Deepblue water

Deepblue water Active Member

I liked the idea how you have yours set up i just try to avoid the wire from the jig to the leader that way I don’t lose the action on the jigs

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  4. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

The jig should swing freely on the split ring so I don't know how much action will be lost. Also i think most fish will hit the head of the jig so that's why I have a short wire leader. I've actually rigged this jig for the chance that we might see some positive signs of wahoo while drifting. Drop the jig 100-150 feet down and snap it back up. It's just rigged up in case something crazy happens. I've got couple of other surface plugs and shallow running plugs and couple of 3/4-1 oz. bucktails ready too, in case we come across a good weedline.

Deepblue water likes this.
  5. Kim

Kim Senior Member

A couple years ago I went through the same thing with the bite offs. I got several recommendations here and I tried every kind of wire of modified wire and my experience was that I got a lot less hook ups. What I ended up doing was to use #500 Kevlar assist cord. I still get bite offs but I'm happy with my hook up rate.