360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
369 Posts
I don't mean to offend, but I don't get it. What is the point a lighter like this? I don't have any problem cutting line already. If someone wanted to use a lighter to cut their line, what is the advantage of this device over a 99 cent Bic lighter from the grocery store checkout line?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BryanC said:
I don't mean to offend, but I don't get it. What is the point a lighter like this? I don't have any problem cutting line already. If someone wanted to use a lighter to cut their line, what is the advantage of this device over a 99 cent Bic lighter from the grocery store checkout line?
This lighter has a protector so that the other side of line don't get burnt by accident.
Frame is very small and precise.

------------------

http://www.jignpop.com
http://www.jignpopforum.com
http://www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Retired Member
4,949 Posts
Like Kil said it's not mandatory but recommended. It is a great tool for finishing knots. It has an adjustable precise flame and a V notch knot guard protecting the knot from the heat. So what you get is a nice round ball on the tag end.

Benny

·
1,363 Posts
I have one and liked it so much that I got another one. They come in very handy for tying P. R. Knots and a bic from the store won't be as effective at balling up the end of the leader material and they are hard to use for that for a number of reasons (not the least of which is a bic will do you no good if there is any wind). There are alot of higher end fishing tools that come in handy for jigging that most of us get by without....I at one time felt the same about alot of the stuff on the market but after seeing how it makes my time on the water easier and more efficent I tend to buy and use all these neat little items. I know most of yall dont tie P. R. Knots but after fishing this way for a goodly number of years (before there were butterfly jigs in stores in the southeast) and I have learned that there aint a knot out there that holds up to a P. R. Knot and these types of lighters are required (the butane jet type lighters) to tie this knot. You never, ever accidently burn your mainline, leader or through the knot with this particular lighter.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enoch,
Your illustration and explanation are great.
When ever I see any good product, I try to introduce to other fishermen.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
2,753 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Kil. Here are the photos and blog I posted:

----------------------------------------------------
New ADDITION to the gearbox.
I've been hawking this butane lighter for a while now and recently was able to pick up the BOUZ Line Cutter II and use it for tying FG knots on PE & Mono. Being a model 2, I figured there is alot of improvements over the pilot model. I've never seen the original so I cannot comment.

The lighter is a refillable butane lighter made in China by a Japanese brand.

PROS:
- Single feature that makes it worth it is the black flame shield that allows one to place a barrier between the flame and the rest of their line system. This will probably save a few fingers from being burnt and also create more confidence in your knot.
- The black shield pictured here doesn't heat up until after constant usage for over 10 seconds.
- Accuracy for both PE & Mono & Fluorocarbon braid and leader.
- It comes with a handy manual which describes the different usage and steps for refill.
- There is a nice slotted "hole" at the bottom left corner where someone wanted to attache a lanyard.
- The PE line cutter is the actual flame that stays ignited (from electric spark) as long as you wish.
- There is a nice spring loaded lid that meets an O-RING seal at the base of the cap.
- Also exist is a lid lock, where you can swing the lever over the quick release button for a lock-down of the lid to prevent water penetration or whatever.
- The BOUZ also has a radio dial on the bottom to adjust flame height (denoted -/+).

Other colors are: Black, Red, Blue, and I've heard CLEAR is available but have never seen one. Perhaps that's the original model.

The color Yellow was chosen so that I can find it at the bottom of my gear back/pouch.

Enjoy!

ksong said:
Enoch,
Your illustration and explanation are great.
When ever I see any good product, I try to introduce to other fishermen.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts