Boomvang 9/2 - 9/3, Chicken Cayon 9/5

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by BretABaker, Sep 9, 2009.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Pretty quick report from the last week…

9/2 – 9/3 Boomvang

Tom, Jim and myself headed out Wednesday afternoon for some tuna and made a stop on the way out. Produced a couple snapper – nothing worth writing home about. We then headed out to Boomvang where we found one other boat already there. Long story short – blackfin blackfin blackfin. Lots of them, most small as normal. The ones caught on surface were significantly larger, 20+ lbs and one up near 30.

I finally got a chance to use the new OTI Wave Dancer lure – worked really well. The lure has some great action. I tried a few different ways to work the lure but the one that seemed to be ideal in getting the lure to move was a pretty slow twitch. The lure really bounces from side to side if you get it going right. Unfortunately the yellowfin just weren’t there in a lot of numbers especially on the surface but no doubt it’ll work. I was using the Nemo color. The new paint on the OTI lures is awesome as well. It held up great to fish and the hooks bouncing on the belly.

Tom did manage to pick up a yellowfin on the chunk, nice 40-50lb variety. Jim caught at least 40 blackfin on jigs throughout the night to keep himself occupied! I grabbed one or two throwback yellowfin on jigs as well.

Tom’s yellowfin

[​IMG]

Chicken Canyon – 9/5

After a pretty worthless Friday morning at work I headed up north. Our original plan was to head out to Wilmington Canyon for an overnighter, but the seas sucked Friday afternoon for a 28’ CC so we opted to stay closer in and just go out Saturday. Michael, my dad (Tbaker), Ty (ty2philly) and myself headed out early Saturday for a nice long run from OCNJ up close to Chicken Canyon. Normally I wouldn’t throw the spots out – but given that we were greeted with at least 50 boats I don’t think it’s a big secret! The seas were pretty sporty on the way out but once we got there it laid down and was very nice.

I started out jigging an OTI 200g Jager in green and within about 20 minutes or so hooked up. After 5 minutes, the hook pulled (8/0 gama siwash). Kind of annoying, but hey that’s fishing. The fish wasn’t huge either so not too big of a deal. Given how quick we got into the bite I thought it’d be a good day but from there on out it was pretty slow.

A couple hours later Michael comes tight on a fish. Short while later a 46” (50lb) bluefin hits the deck. Mike’s first tuna! Nice fish, they’ve got a lot of fat on them now so the sashimi was excellent later that night 

A couple skipjacks and a chicken mahi later we headed in. Not a banner day but it was good to get out. The weather out there was great too – it was a nice break from the sweltering heat down here.

Mike and his tuna

[​IMG]

Me preteding I caught his tuna

[​IMG]

Butchering

[​IMG]

2. papio

papio Senior Member

Good report, good info, and pictures. I take it the Wave Dancer is available now? Blackfins will keep you busy for awhile.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice report bret.
    we are hoping after this blow that the tuna will still bee there.
    the billfishing has been great.
    and the tiles also.

the jumbo and jinkster have been working well up here also.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

wave dancer/sea dragon should be available from the dealers soon :)

5. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Nice report Bret, can't wait to try the new OTI wave dancer !

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Bret,

Thanks for posting the report. I had a great time out there with you Mike and your dad. Even though the fishing was slow it was a great chance to practice and any time I get on the water I am happy.

I am glad I got to use that OTI G3 400g rod, it is very light and nice action. It was cool to see Mike fight that tuna with his Hopper 400g conventional rod.

I see you got my shoulder in that last photo with me wearing that funky tie-dyed shirt.

Again, I had a great time and you are an incredible angler and your sportsmanship topnotch. I learned a lot that day.

Ty

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thanks ty :)

it was nice to finall fish with you. even though fishing was slow, it was still a nice day out. hopefully the canyons will heat up this year and we can go get more tuna there.

a couple other things were: mike's new 28' scout was really nice. that was the first time i fished on a scout and was very impressed. its not the heaviest boat in the world so we pounded a bit heading out, but as far as fishability it is awesome. 9'6" beam on a 28' boat is really really wide. having 4 guys on the boat was no problem at all.

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Bret,

Great report although the fishing was slow. I'm always optimistic with fishing that far out in the canyons. Perhaps the bite will heat up for you soon. Great commentary and report of OTI gear.

The waves look obsolete and it looks like you were out by pre-greylight. Good stuff.

Ty, I've seen that tie-dyed shirt before... :)

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah it was choppy 4 footers or so on the way out but once we got there laid down big time. it was like a lake at the end!

10. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

nice report bret.
    we are hoping after this blow that the tuna will still bee there.
    the billfishing has been great.
    and the tiles also.

the jumbo and jinkster have been working well up here also.

Hey Paul, I tried getting back to you the other day! We gotta get out together sometime, I wanna see some of your products! Im in the market for about a half dozen jiggin sticks :D

Have you have any luck ever jigging tiles in the 400-600' on the edge? Or is it a all bait deal? I have never caught tiles (never even tried for them) Any input would be helpful!

As for the tuna, I think we may see a epic season....good things are falling into place...Extended NE blow, cool temps, and Im begining to see well defined breaks... By late Sept early Oct, the bite should be off the hook! The eddies are begining to move and there is a freshing up by Atlantis/hydrographers, and reports are filtering in from the bigger head boats from waaaay up north....

Let me know if can find some time in your schedule and we try to make something of it!

Capt. Brian

11. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Brett, Looks like a good trip! We were out pounding the deep between the lindy,spencer, and wilmington... Had good intel from a LL and setup in that general area... Marked plenty of fish and jigged the hell outta that area to no avail.... I think the full moon played a major roll in the weak tuna bite!

The billfishing has been off the hook. We saw 9 whites in a couple hours trolling, had 4-5 hooked, and only boated one!!! We saw a big blue free jumping, walking and porpoising on the surface! Had on white go airborne and alost land on the bow :eek: And we trolling tuna style! Not bad, considering trying to clear 10 rods was a pain in the arse :D They would get all stretched out on us and put a big belly in the line....

Congrats! If you ever make it up this way and wanna get out, gimme a hollar, we put a hurtin on the bluefin earlier this year! Smallest was 140# :D

Capt. Brian

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hey brian im probably moving back pretty soon so ill let you know when im up :)

it seems like the inshore fish are a little smaller, prob 40-60lbs from most reports ive seen.

im hoping to get back for a canyon trip or two later in the season but we'll see

13. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

hey brian im probably moving back pretty soon so ill let you know when im up :)

it seems like the inshore fish are a little smaller, prob 40-60lbs from most reports ive seen.

im hoping to get back for a canyon trip or two later in the season but we'll see

Yep, the ones they have been getting on the 30 lines down south have been 40-60# I had a buddy go for 12 for 18 a few weeks ago in the toms, they were all 60-85# :eek: I think if we see a good chunk canyon bite, most will be quality fish!

14. TX_Sportsman

TX_Sportsman Junior member

Cool report Bret. Glad you got some fishing in bro.