360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a short notice from Lee Brumlow weds night for an overnighter. Meet up with Lee at 1pm and left freeport jetties with a crew of five along with Lee Sr. his dad's friend Price owner of LLC Seafood and Lan one of Lees's close friend around 2pm WITHOUT A FIGHTING BELT. First stop was at Tequila water was combat blue, made a quick troll and picked up 3 kings immediatly. Trolled a bomber and caught the first king. Than drop the plug down again not even 10 sec later the reel sings another king on the boat. As soon as I was fighting my fish Lan hooks up using trolling a mackel. Dropped the oti butterfly jigs a couple time to see what elese was home but the hardtails were thick, last drop brought up a 15lb bonita and bait was made. Headed out on the quick 30 min stop and found a nice rip with weeds, 5 miles from Tequila after a 15 min pass around the rip we decide to run to boomvang for the evening bite. Hit the floaters and was greeted by a sport boat. As the crew was setting in I jumped on the bow of lee's nice 31ft CC and worked the top with an OTI "nemo" popper first cast got blown up by two tuna I let the popper sit there for a couple of mins and on the first chug caught a 20lb football. First fish in the ice box under 10 mins not bad... Helped the crew with the rigging. Dad, Price, went strieght to jigging and lan was free linning piggys. After the crew was set up I jumped back up to the bow and made an olympic cast and popped... popped... pause. Then I quickly twich my rod tip then Booom! A 77lb YFT blew my popper 10ft out of the water. First initial run he ripped out line at 20lb of drag. I quickly turned him brought him beside the boat, yelled "double gaff" and had the first offical tuna on the boat in 15 mins. The sun was retrating and I thew Lee one of my poppers and handed Lan my pooping outfit. when I was checking on Dad and his friend they were jigging and chunking up black fins. Price hooked up on a blackfin, The fight fight was on! We couldnt tell who was winning but at the end I grabbed the gap and das yelling "were all falling a sleep watching you fight the fish" I saw color and grab the gaff, 10 mins later price caugh his first fish a 30lb BF! Through the night the big E rolled in when things started to slow down, a couple BF caught here and there. Most of my BF caught was around 250 ft of water with my line marked by a pemanent maker I consistently caught BF with OTI jagger butterfly jig. Playing around round with the colums couldn't hook up with a YF on jigs. I switch to chunks, things started to slow down. Dad and his friend Price hit the sack when the bite was about to turn on and around 3am me and Lee was catching BF when Lan rod started to rip out line. I boated my 30lb BF with no problem with my TLD 30, I looked back and Lan was still on his fish I thought It was a BF becuase he hooked up when I did, So I cut me a new fresh chunk of BF and got a hookup as soon as my bait fell in the water colum and got a minor backlash I let the fish take off at 25% of strike to free the backlash while still looking at Lan, when the line on the reel was free I threw the drag a little past strike. The fish took alot of line when I had the drags lightly applied, wanting to recover line I push the lever between strike and full then my fish went hay wire, he ran HARD dumpping line on my reel trying to stay in the boat. A couple mins later the line went slack, must of pulled the the hook. This all happend in 30 mins look back Lan still fighting his fish! So I decide to to join Lee and Lan on catching his "BF" tuna. An 30 min went by, smoke a cig then a that point me and Lee was falling asleep. We cracked jokes trying to staying awake and watching the fish Kick Lan's butt! He keeps yelling "get the gaff"... But behold the tuna was playing mind tricks on him. as soon as he thought the fish was done He would take another run. This was the first tuna trip for Lee and his crew.. Poor Lan was fighting this tuna with a Albu Garcia 700 on a noodle stick used for kings. After an hour and a half of chasing it down with the boat this fish kept thaking line. By that time I knew this fish wasn't a black fin, I looked at the charter and we been chasing this fish more then an hour. The screen on the charter looks like one of the red sketchy pad things we use as a kids, Lol Lee has screen pics. Lan was totaled the battle became a two man fish! He hands over the rod, then Lee buckled down on the drag a little bit more and cuts off the motor and put a beating to the fish. Lee thought to battle was going to be over in 20 mins! Wrong... Welcome to tuna fishing buddy! He maked the fish work for every inch recoving line. By then I had two cigs and the battle was in the second hour, good thing thier wasn't any kids. Lee was cussin like a sailor. Haha watching his face was priceless, I know next time hes going to bring bigger gear! After hurting watching Lee fight the fish, I couldn't imagine his pain. I started to see color, by then we knew he was big! The plastic came off the gaff and Lan gabbed the other one. After a couple pass the YF tuna came to the surface. Lan ninja gaffs it then I pierce another one behind him. Congrats! Welcome to the tuna club Lan and Lee!!The big tuna 60lb YFT in the boat in 2hrs and 20mins! We Dad and Price woke up we caught a couple more BF and Lee got a good run on a live 2lb hard tail. By morning time Lee dad I was the only up. The crew was tired and after a couple cast with the popper with on bite. The crew decided to head back in.
It was an awsome time, great stories great friends and near perfect conditons. Most fish was caught on butterfly jiggs half way to the bottom on the drops and fluttering torwards the surface with quick erratice action, diamond jigs and chunck of bonita and BF. Hopfully the crew will add to the story and Lee will be posting up pics!

Fish count:
3 kings
18 BF
3 tuna YFT biggest @77lbs

Disclamier:
Sorry for the spelling and grammer. Im still beat up.

G

·
thanks for the nice read and the photo's. there should be more reports coming in with all this calm seas and light winds...rick

·
638 Posts
Great report. I haven't been fishing in so long that I may have forgotten how. You said it was the first tuna trip for the crew and I'm betting it won't be the last. Sounds like a really great time, even for the guy fighting one for a couple of hours.

Fred

·
1,718 Posts
If that was your first tuna run with the crew, you did well. Good job!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts