Boomer

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by tracker12, Jun 19, 2008.

1. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Anyne have any experince with the Calstar Boomer Rod. I am looking for a cheap jig/bottom fishing rig for an upcomig mexico trip. Found one for a pretty good deal just don't know much about this rod. Looks like it would work for my application.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

we do alot of those
    mostly tuna and shark rods
    lot of backbone
    should work
    the JR is nice

3. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I think there are three versions, a Baby Boomer, Boomer Jr. and then the Boomer itself. Good Glass rods, strong and reliable.

DBG

4. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I have 7 Calstar Baby Boomers and 3 Bajia Boomers that I built as roller rods. I have 5 Baby boomers for my Tiagra 30W's used for trolling, and the other 2 are for Avet EX4/0 for chunking.
    The 3 Bajia Boomers are matched with Tiagra 50WLRS reels and are used for Billfish trolling and live baiting.
    As you can tell from how many I own, I love these rods... They are very powerful but also provide a flexible tip section and they are glass so they are forgiving..
    Here is a couple of pics of one of the Baby Boomers in action with between 25 and 30 lbs of drag.

Attached Files:

5. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Rhale
    That's a pretty good indorsement. For a custom baby Boomer at $100.00 I think I will go for it. I can't seem to go wrong.

6. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I had a Baby Boomer wrapped a number of years ago and regret getting rid of it. A lot of very large tuna have fallen victim to the various Boomer series rods over the years.

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

boomer is a great blank,
    good price and with 3 models
    you can usually find one that works
    i do one with both ends cut:eek:
    for the macho guys:D

8. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

got the fishy in the avatar on a cut 5' Boomer Jr....great rod

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

got the fishy in the avatar on a cut 5' Boomer Jr....great rod
    SWEET...love those cut boomers:D :D

10. tracker12

tracker12 Guest

Picked up the rod this weekend, Actually the daughter did out in san Diego so I still have not seen the rod. Guy claims it was ony used 3 times and no reason to disbelieve him. It was made by Carl's customs rods somewhere in Ca. Don't know much about the builder but the rod was made for this guys father in law who is a long time longranger so he should know what should go on a rod. Can't wait to fish it.

11. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Picked up the rod this weekend, Actually the daughter did out in san Diego so I still have not seen the rod. Guy claims it was ony used 3 times and no reason to disbelieve him. It was made by Carl's customs rods somewhere in Ca. Don't know much about the builder but the rod wad made for this guys father in law who is a long time longranger so he should know what should go on a rod. Can't wait to fish it.
    good luck with it, they are great sticks
    and you cant beat the price ..about 1/3 of new