Bonefish in Aransas

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by Pope, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Pope

Pope Senior Member

My buddy caught these in Aransas Bay behind Traylor Island.

Attached Files:

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Wow, thats really cool!!! never seen bones in tx waters.. Thanks what did he catch them on??

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

That is cool. Tell him to release next time... I wonder if they will start showing up in bigger numbers.

4. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

yeah, why would anyone keep a bonefish? Was he trying to identify them?

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Neat. They look pretty fat too.

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

He caught them in a net and they were hung in the mesh. They would have died. The bay's waters are very warm this year and if we continue to warm maybe we will be fishing for these in the future.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Ah I see with the net... Still pretty sweet to know that they are around. I went fly fishing for bonefish in mexico just north east of cancun. They put up a great lb for lb fight!

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

just an FYI- They've been catching them about that size in the back of San Diego bay in SoCal for a couple years now.
    Sure is cool to see them coming back coast to coast!

I'm waiting to see who catches a striper in Galveston bay this year, seems to happen every year.

9. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I've heard of them being caught in the S. Padre-Brownsville area before, and not surprised they are moving North! That's really cool!

If it were me I would keep one of those guys and make a small "print" of it for the wall! Beautiful fish!

Tom - DBG

10. Pope

Pope Senior Member

just an FYI- They've been catching them about that size in the back of San Diego bay in SoCal for a couple years now.
    Sure is cool to see them coming back coast to coast!

I'm waiting to see who catches a striper in Galveston bay this year, seems to happen every year.

The bones in San Diego are thought to have been brought there by ships pumping the larvae out of the bilges and they stay in the back of the bay near the power plant.

I have wanted to go back there and fish for those fish. Never had the time.

11. Ross

Ross Member

The bones in San Diego are thought to have been brought there by ships pumping the larvae out of the bilges and they stay in the back of the bay near the power plant.

I have wanted to go back there and fish for those fish. Never had the time.

Brandon, who caught them? That's pretty cool. I might have to go search for them on the beachside of Traylor. :D

12. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I've been tod they're down by the plant, and also on the flats
    @ imperial beach. but since I'm 1500 miles away, who the hell knows!:confused:
    sure like to try 'em , though. hell a 12" er would be a trophy!