Boat Bottom painting: (sorry, didn't see better category)

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Jul 29, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Bottom Painting: What are your thoughts on this? I am buying a used boat and have seen a few models of the same boat, one which has been painted and one which has not. I intend to trailer it, but may want to put it in a slip at some point (which would make this moot) They are varied greatly in price due to extras, electronics etc. The less expensive one has the bottom painted.

What effect does this have on the life and/or performance of the boat? Does it slow the boat down? Do you need to do this eventually, regardless of whether you trailer your boat?

2. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

imo you should get the boat you want first and worry about bottom paint at a later date..... you might find the one with the bottom job needs to be re-done already or you might wanna remove it and and re-paint it for trailering

you'll definitely want bottom paint to store in the water and yes it'll slow the boat a bit but not a helluvva lot

although there's alotta new paint out there nowadays that's slicker'n a teflon banana peel

trailering a boat with a bottom job would be silly imo unless the trailer had rollers instead of bunkers (that would rub off the bottom paint)

count on new bottom jobs every one-to-three years depending on storage and use

3. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I certainly wouldn;t choose a boat based on the paint, but I think I may have made it sound that way. It's a heavy Grady 247 Advance, with twin 150s, so I doubt the paint would make a huge difference.

4. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

A friend has a glacier bay with bottom paint that is made for trailering it does not rub off on the bunks and has not slowed it down at all.
    If you plan on in water storage I would recommend it.

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

A friend has a glacier bay with bottom paint that is made for trailering it does not rub off on the bunks and has not slowed it down at all.
    If you plan on in water storage I would recommend it.

I ran the same year 26 Glacier bay as mine with same motors with out bottom paint. It ran the same speed as mine did with bottom paint. I trailer my boat and I keep it in the water up to a month at a time. A good hard bottom paint is trailerable and protects at the same time.

d-a