Bluefin tuna lures for Calafornia

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by Dato, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Dato

Dato Junior member

Hello,
    I am from Australia and make trolling lures and recently had a customer enquiry from a bloke in Calafornia who is fishing for bluefin in August, my question is what size and type of bait do they feed on over there and for trolling lures is there any standouts.
    Thanks
    Kyle

Furysi likes this.
  2. jureal

jureal Senior Member

4 inch anchovies, 6 inch sardines, and right now a lot of tuna crabs in the water that they are feeding on. I have heard that the fish caught recently on the troll have been mostly cedar plugs. Mexico has closed sportfishing for bluefin and not sure if they will open once the commercial season ends. Bluefins now caught have all been in California waters. Sizes have been 25-40 lbs although a few caught over 100 lbs. This has been an unusual good fishing for California as the commercial purse seiners in Mexico fish heavily to populate the fish pens.

Furysi likes this.

3. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Senior Member

One of these run waythehellandgone behind the boat-also the Williamson or Halco equivalent

[​IMG]

Furysi likes this.
  4. manethon

manethon Member

Halco's are wicked. I have been wanting to import a ton of em

5. Dave Prendiz

Dave Prendiz Active Member

Watched them crash on small schooling flying fish. Very few caught on the kite that day.