Bluefin tuna blitz

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by ksong, Nov 21, 2006.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Washington Canyon 11-18/19

I thought last Tues/Wed tuna trip was my last tuna trip locally this year, but I had to make another trip hoping I could land a 200 lbs bluefin tuna on my jigs.

I didn't land a 200 lbs bluefin on this trip, but I must caught and released 15-20 bluefin in 50-70 lbs range on jigs.
    I couldn't take pictures on this trip because I left memory card of my camera. When my friend send me pictues to me, I am going to post a picture of screen loaded with tuna marks. It seems bigger tuna were deep, but I couldn't get down to deep because bft hammered my jigs on the way down !!!

I experimented glow 220 g Hooker jig at night as other guys used usual Metallic Sardine or diamond jigs. To my surprise, I had many hit on the jig. However for some reason, I had many miss hit.

I gave up using treble hooks and used 10 oz hammered diamond jig with 8/0 Gamakatsu Siwash single hook as drift was pretty fast and it worked great. I didn't drop any single fish on the setup. Tuna must knew I would release them.

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Ksong,
    I thought you were with the GEM guys on 11/18-11/19. You must get off the plane and go straight to another dock. You must have the fishing fever real bad. Hope you don't get the fishing burnout. How did the GEM trip go? Did you catch any YF's on jigs?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksong,
    I thought you were with the GEM guys on 11/18-11/19. You must get off the plane and go straight to another dock. You must have the fishing fever real bad. Hope you don't get the fishing burnout. How did the GEM trip go? Did you catch any YF's on jigs?
    My daughter invited my wife and me to go to Italy in late November to early December without knowing that I had a GEM trip. So I asked to replace me and I promised I would go or I pay my share if I coulnd't go, if they couldn't find any replacement. Fortunately or unfortunately they had a replacement for me. After they got my replacement, my daughter told us she couldn't make the trip because she had a new assignment from her company. I really wanted the GEM trip as I always like to try the area where I've never been before.
    Too bad they had to fish only one night due to weather. I am going to get more information from guys who made the trip and I might organize the similar trip from June to September when weather is more predictable.

I don't think I can get the fishing burnout as I always has a new goal on each trip. :)
    I decided to stop tuna fishing for a while until giant bluefin show up in NC and concentrate on some bottom fishing. Jigging grouper is also my favorite. :)
    I have a 44 hour trip on the Viking Super Star out of Tarpon Spring, FL in early Dec. I am going to catch some nice gag or red groupers on jigs on the trip.

4. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

K Song..

Looks like we will be going on a 2day/ 48Hr Trip in April with Capt Tomney if that suits you;..
    Should be warm enough for a Topwater bite then.

Bazz

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

K Song..

Looks like we will be going on a 2day/ 48Hr Trip in April with Capt Tomney if that suits you;..
    Should be warm enough for a Topwater bite then.

Bazz
    I wish I could go, but I have a trip to New Zealand in late April.
    I can not join the rescheduled Cinco trip on May 4-6 because our 31 years wedding anniversary is May 5. I don't go fishing on my wife's birthday and wedding anniversary for the peace of my family. :) I sent an email to Ragman to take my spot.
    The report of GEM06 convinced me to charter the boat and I asked TOO to contact the boat. The three night/four day trip will be for jigging and popping only. I think I got enough guys already after I posted about the trip on a site in our area yesterday. :)
    However, if you have any overnight trip planned in the future, let me know.
    I'd like to fish in Gulf Coast as much as possible from tuna to flounder. :)

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I finally got a picture of the screen which shows bluefin tuna marks.
    I wish every tuna trip is like this. :)

[​IMG]

7. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

Ain't that a pretty sight...

Brad