Bluefin Trip out of Atlantic City, NJ

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by peterb, Aug 2, 2008.

1. peterb

peterb Member

Took a 31' down east style boat out of Brigatine NJ (near AC) yesterday. We left the docks at 2am and went about 50 miles out (to a place called the lobster claw). We fished in about 160 feet of water. The water was about 74 degrees and dirty.

We were chunking and jigging. Fish were being marked but no takers. The capt goes all the way down to 30 pound floro leaders. 10 minutes later the system 30 rod next to me starts screaming. I pick it up, throw on my fishing belt and it's game on. 15 minutes later we boated the fish (a 110 pound bluefin that was 57" long).

Here are 2 pix of the fish. In the first pix it looks like I am sleeping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An hour later another reel starts screaming. The other 4 guys took turns fighting this fish for the next 1 hour and 40 minutes. It broke off. I climbed up on the fly bridge to watch. I am guessing that it was a 175 to 200 pound fish.

They got it down to the leader about 4 or 5 times but then "the devil fish" would go on another big run.

All in all, a fun day on the water. I will be bringing down my SeaCraft to LBI next week and am ready to target the BFT's.

Peter

2. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

badass fish bro

3. gmack

gmack Senior Member

How does the limit work for bluefin? Isn't it something like 1 fish per year?

4. peterb

peterb Member

You have to buy a federal permit if you on a rec boat. The charter guys get some kind of other permit. On all boats it's the following regulations

1 bluefin between 27" and 47" (commonly referred to as the "under" fish.
    " " " 47" and 73" (commonly referred to as the "over" fish)

I think (and I could be wrong) that anything above 73" is considered a giant and the charter captain gets to keep the fih in the name of the boat (even if I caught it).

Peter

5. peterb

peterb Member

Oh, and the under/over fish is on a per trip/day basis.

6. wavewalker

wavewalker Junior member

Congrats on your nice fish.

There is no difference between a charter and rec HMS permit. Some charter operations also hold commercial permits to catch and sell bft during the commercial season. You are correct in the size classes and fish counts. One "over" and one "under" per vessel per day. The permits are per vessel. But it is one fish per year 73" or greater for each permit. This slot mostly goes unused with the majority of permits. As far as the captain keeping the over 73" fish. That should be worked out with the captain before going on the trip and has nothing to do with the permit. We've been getting bft in the same size class solid for the past month or so just south of you in Cape May. Catch'em up.

- Capt. Bernie Walker

7. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Very nice fish Peter.
    30 pnd leader wow, that wouldn't have even entered my mind chasing fish that big.
    Was the second fish caught on 30 pnd leader also,and what was the outfit used.

8. peterb

peterb Member

The second fish was also on a system 30 w/a 30 pound floro carbon leader and circle hook. A whole squid was the bait.

I think that the drag setup was around 12 pounds, because of the light leader size.