Bluefin jigging out of Cape May, NJ is imminent.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It looks long waited bluefin jigging just started.
    When it happens, it'll be very hard decision whether to go up to Cape Cod for bluefin popping or go down to Cape May, NJ for bluefin jigging. :)

06-28
    Rob and Myself had Mike,Rodney and Mike aboard this morning for a little Bluefin scouting mission.
    We worked the 20 fathom lumps and tried a little of everything
    First off was a couple hour chunking session followed by a little trolling session to try out the new riggers and spreader bars(Sterling Tackle bars are nice!)
    We ended up stopping on some awesome marks and I hooked one up on Mike's Trevalla rod with Avet LX reel and 10oz Hammered Jig
    After a half Hour chase and some great teamwork we boated a 63 in,153 lb. Bluefin Tuna,great job on the fish Guys

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

nice, why not jigging at cape cod also?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

nice, why not jigging at cape cod also?
    Yes, they do. But you have to concentrate on one thing at a time. Besides, you can catch bluefin on jigs here and there untll fall comes when you have more consitant bites on jigs.
    Lumps out of Cape May, NJ are strictly for jigging as bluefin stay close to bottom. When action is good, you can hook up bluefin on every drift.

4. north coast

north coast Senior Member

"When action is good, you can hook up bluefin on every drift."

That sounds sweet, but I'm gettin on in years, as much as I love it ,I don't know how many I'd want to tangle with in a day. I fish the NW corner of Stellwagen frequently. Several Years ago, (Smaller fish) I would fight 6 or 8 fish in a day. last year ,after one I didn't even want to hook another one LOL.
    Don't imagine it will be any different this year.These fish kick my butt.

Could I bother you for an opinion? I'm thinking very seriously about pulling thr trigger on an accurate boss xtreme 600. strictly for jigging bluefin (mostly rubber and some metal) where I mentioned. can you recommend THE rod?

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Hey Kil,

It's a long haul from here to Cape May ;) . I'll just have to work through the ups and downs of CCB.

How hard is it to locate the productive waters and lumps around Cape May?

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

"When action is good, you can hook up bluefin on every drift."

That sounds sweet, but I'm gettin on in years, as much as I love it ,I don't know how many I'd want to tangle with in a day. I fish the NW corner of Stellwagen frequently. Several Years ago, (Smaller fish) I would fight 6 or 8 fish in a day. last year ,after one I didn't even want to hook another one LOL.
    Don't imagine it will be any different this year.These fish kick my butt.

Could I bother you for an opinion? I'm thinking very seriously about pulling thr trigger on an accurate boss xtreme 600. strictly for jigging bluefin (mostly rubber and some metal) where I mentioned. can you recommend THE rod?
    I believe NW corner is one of the most consistant location for bleufin jigging up there. clam bed off NW corner used to be my favorite cod jigging spots. :)
    I didn't have much success around Peaked Hill Bar area until fall. I had three nice bluefin on jigs there within an hour last fall.

I suggest 500g rod with Ex2 600 as the average sizes of bluefin this year is much bigger.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hey Kil,

It's a long haul from here to Cape May ;) . I'll just have to work through the ups and downs of CCB.

How hard is it to locate the productive waters and lumps around Cape May?
    Most lumps out of Cape May are well known locations and it is pretty easy fishing. You don't have to jig all day. Bites are usually good early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Unlike CCB, bluefin out of Cape May don't stay long. By the end of July, they leave lumps and scatter around.
    We still can find bluefin behind scallop draggers throughout summer.

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Encouraging words Kil.
    I have a charter headed out july 18th from Cape May leaving 3:30am from South Jersey Marina.

We will probably troll as we get to the grounds, chunk when we get on the numbers and then jig the slick. Just about any way to get on the bluefins.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Encouraging words Kil.
    I have a charter headed out july 18th from Cape May leaving 3:30am from South Jersey Marina.

We will probably troll as we get to the grounds, chunk when we get on the numbers and then jig the slick. Just about any way to get on the bluefins.
    You have to get there eary before dawn as bites usually stop by 9:00 am - 10 :00 am. You can troll or chunk later.
    We leave dock before 2:00 am to get there early.

10. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Agreed! The bite is going on now I feel but its being kept pretty top secret. There where two boats that I know of that I had BFT this weekend, unf. I was not on either one :(

We made wrong decision to work the Baltimore Canyon and while the water was very good it had no tuna to speak of. Several boats including us had some very nice sized Mahi and Triggers - perhaps that and the bait we marked are very good signs of a successful season to come.

The best days jigging bluefin last year - boat was in the slip and washed, fish cut by 1PM. You must get out early as Kil said and mid week vs. weekend is much better fishing as soon as word gets out - there will be 50 boats on the lumps.

My goal is to do as much Bluefin fishing in my "backyard" as I can. If anyone is looking to come down has the desire to get out and get some fish - especially mid week I'm game to share work/cleaning/expenses. Fish are in close - ideal fishing is a 26 to 32 Center console with 3 to 4 guys no bait, light on the gear the fish are shallow they can't sound. My fastest fish #130 at 8 minutes on an Avet JX buttoned down.

No cases of beer or giant hoggies needed - fish bite from grey light to mid morning and then its done unless you are going to camp out and wait till early evening - pretty tough to manage a bite until late in the day - so I like to hit em hard "magic hour" get our two fish, be having them for lunch that day - at the harbor not the boat!

My house is a mile from the harbor and my driveway accommodates a trailer - so if anyone is interested send me a P/M.

11. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

How far offshore are the humps/lumps where the BFT are holding??? My boat is probably way too small but I am curious to know how far the guy's are running to get to the grounds???

12. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

13. Boston Tangler

Two popular Cape May Capts report hooking fighting and losing a large BFT when #40 Flour chafed through this past Wednesday. They where not terribly far out.... I cannot give spot.

We are hopeful that it busts wide open anyday now but who knows when it does you will surely hear about it.

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

im going out tonight (tmr) at 3am

boston tangler, are u fishing this weekend?

cape may bluefin dont like thick leader. I will start at 80 and work down if I need to. Risky business. but 40 pounds??

15. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Encouraging words Kil.

Enoch,

I am looking forward to this trip.
    Is it possible to bump up the departure time as per Kil and others suggestion?

Ty

16. Boston Tangler

Hey guys - I wish I was - I've more than a few offers but actually while loading the truck last night to come down at 4AM to avoid traffic, my Wife slipped on the running board (it was rainy), whacked her head, passed out cold, drove her to ER, Cat scan the whole bit, so had to cancel plans for anything offshore. Maybe some fluke on Sunday I'm still up in Havertown.

I would advise #60 Flour - that was the ticket last year. #40 is what I use for Fluke and sea bass LOL. Maybe try to get your meat fish and then go down in weight for some fun. Early is best as lumps are somewhat small / med sized area and it is fourth of july weekend, lots of boat pressure.

17. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I still need to finish spooling two convential jigger reels (Gorilla 12 and Ishidai Z40) for the BFT trip on the 19th with Enoch.

For each reel I was going to use 300yrd TufLine XP 80# (yellow) connected to 150 yards Diawa Boat Braid PE6 (80#) + 25 feet of Windon Leader.

Which leader and leader material do you suggest? Flouro or Mono? 100#, 80#, 60#?

Thanks,
    Ty

18. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

... my Wife slipped on the running board (it was rainy), whacked her head, passed out cold, drove her to ER, Cat scan the whole bit, so had to cancel plans for anything offshore. Maybe some fluke on Sunday I'm still up in Havertown ...

Sorry to hear that. I hope she have a speedy recovery.

Regards,
    Ty

19. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. I hope she have a speedy recovery.

Regards,
    Ty

Family over Fishing.
    Godspeed her recovery.

:cool:

20. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

So can you pick your days with a small CC (20 ft.) and get out there safely??? I do the CC Bay thing in my boat quite often and feel very safe doing it in my boat up there providing I pick the right days and keep my eye on things. Never can be too safe and never having taken my boat out off of the shore down that way I have nothing to go on. I would think it is similar to CC Bay sea state wise?? It would be awesome to get out there and try some jigging for the fish down there as it is a great diversion to the frustrating CC Bay fish. I regularly do 100-130 mi. round trip when up in CC Bay with plenty of fuel to spare (80 Gals.) and the Honda is super on gas 4-5 mpg. I would chance it if you guy's thought it wasn't doable but 30 mi. isn't very far provided the conditions are favorable. Thanks!