bluefin jigging at its finest.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

we had incredible jigging today. i'll post report and pictures later.

[​IMG]

2. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Kil, Looks like a great time!!!!!! I am very jealous. Our SJ bluefin bite was OK to say the best this year. The fish were very scattered

Congrats on what looks to be a awesome trip

Brian

3. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

[​IMG]

Kil,
    Where??? South or CC Bay??? I know you had said they were taking jigs up north finally but something makes me think you were south this time.

4. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

[​IMG]

Wait Kil, lemme super-impose myself into those pictures before you put them up... :D

Glad you all of you guys (kil, enoch, donte) had a fantastic trip! Just 1% jealous and 99% lying right now. ;)

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

We had 10 hook-ups with 160 lbs -200 lbs on jigs.
    Dante and Enoch fought and released 200 lbs range tuna on jigs too.
    They had a life time jigging experience. :)
    It was amazing all three of us hooked big tuna close to 200 lbs at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont know why the pictures arent showing for me :(

7. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Good job on the fish guys!

Thanks for sharing the pics as well!

8. gman

gman Senior Member

in new jersey Kil?

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

in new jersey Kil?
    No. It was off Chatham, Cape Cod.
    There are some decent bites in SW corner of Stellwagen Bank, but I opted to fish off Chatham as I know there are som nice blueifn there without much competition with other boats.

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

i dont know why the pictures arent showing for me :(

Bret try right clicking and go to properties. Coppy the image url and paste it in a new window.
    Ussually this will cause your browser to catch the rest of the images.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Kil, It was certainly a pleasure to find fish with you and it was certainly the finest quality jigging I've ever had. My first bluefin on a jig at 200lb range!!
    :cool:
    Fighting big bluefin tuna is a challenge and I did learn alot from fishing with you and Dante. There is a distinct fishing style difference between you guys and I got to learn the best from both yesterday. :D

For me, the last part of the fight was is the most important. By the time I got to leader I realized that doing the right thing to get the beast up to the surface is like an art. Give and take and then some serious muscle. :D :D

Thank God for flatside jigs! haha;)

12. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great job. congrats on your first jigged bluefin. 200 lbs! man thats the way to start off.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

There is a distinct fishing style difference between you guys and I got to learn the best from both yesterday. :D

I hope you don't learn anything from me as my style is very unorthodox and I utilize any object if necessary, and I don't recommend my style of fighting to anyone. :)
    But, I can tell you can fight long hours without fatigue with my fighting style. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Kil, that is some really un-orthodox ways of handling my new hots rod :D

I also have some un-orthodox ways to fight as well right?

15. bdfishguy

bdfishguy Member

What a great trip! What jigs were you guys using?

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Dante fighting fish.
    He used Jigging Master custom 500g rod/Saragosa 18000F.
    He really happy about the performace of JM 500g rod, but his Saragosa 1800F got frozen while fighting a 200 lbs bluefin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enoch had first two bluefin on his jigs, but he lost them ater fighing for a while. He used 400g Smith jigging rod/Saragosa 20000SW.
    I let him use my Hots One Pitch Slider 56XH to feel how it is. He was extremly impressed with the performance of the light, thin, but strong rod.
    Here are pictures of Enoch fighting a 200 lbs tuna with Hots One Pitch Slider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tuna08-20-09073.jpg

17. corybahr318

corybahr318 Banned

Kil, I'm leaving in the morning for a two day trip out of Venice with the one pitch, jm 500, jm 350, saltiga 6000, stella 20k, saragosa 18k, accurate 665n
    The tuna bite is very hot and expecting to do very well thank you for the inspiration. I'm going to call you on Monday and post pics
    Top water has also been great so i will be fishing the Heru poppers as well with shimano blue fin rod from minstor

18. MJ4

MJ4 Senior Member

Kil another great trip with great pics.Thanks for sharing.We are planning to go out of NJ after this blow.I hope to try Dan's new CM220 jig.Did you use it yesterday?I look forward to fishing CC soon.....Mike

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, I'm leaving in the morning for a two day trip out of Venice with the one pitch, jm 500, jm 350, saltiga 6000, stella 20k, saragosa 18k, accurate 665n
    The tuna bite is very hot and expecting to do very well thank you for the inspiration. I'm going to call you on Monday and post pics
    Top water has also been great so i will be fishing the Heru poppers as well with shimano blue fin rod from minstor
    I'll join you next time. I have some tackles to test for yft.
    Good luck and post some picutres.

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil another great trip with great pics.Thanks for sharing.We are planning to go out of NJ after this blow.I hope to try Dan's new CM220 jig.Did you use it yesterday?I look forward to fishing CC soon.....Mike
    I didn't use CM220. It didn't matter what jigs we used.