Bluefin Fun in NJ

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by peterb, Aug 28, 2008.

1. peterb

peterb Member

Went out to the claw yesterday with two other fisherman. Anchored up short before six and started chumkng. Had the first fish on within 15 minutes. Took 1 hour and 50 minutes to get the fish in. He was 59" long and had a 38" girth. Estimated weight was 130 pounds. He was caught on a sys 30 with a light leader and drag.

Over the remainder of the morning we had 10 additional bites and caught 3 more fish up to 62". Five of the bites were on jigs. Talk about fun. There is nothing like getting a jig hammered. Also, out of the fish lost, two of them were white Marlins. Great day to be on the water.

Peter

Here are some Pix.

[​IMG]

IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/peter_boyle/danbluef2.jpg[/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Congratulations for your fine catch.
    We planned to go on Wed or Thurs depending on weather, but we decided not to go as weather was questionable.
    I am going to try tomorrow on the way down to NC.
    I'll pick up my Zeebaas XZ27 today to test it for bluefin tomorrow.

3. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Nice report with pictures. Thanks

Good luck to you Kil.

Wife and I are heading down to San Diego for some tuna fishing over Labor Day. Fish are way small in comparison but fun anyways.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

We planned to go on Wed or Thurs depending on weather, but we decided not to go as weather was questionable.

are you still going to NC?

5. peterb

peterb Member

Kil,

Hammered diamond jigs were the jig they loved yesterday. I threw some shimano butterfly jigs and some other types at them. They did not get touched.

Also, out of the six fish on, 1 hit 3 feet off of the bottom, 3 were at about 110 feet down, 1 was at about 50 feet down and 1 hit about 20 feet from the surface.

Also, biggest tip is to fish right in the middle of the claw. The water was bubbling. While we were nailing fish the 50 to 70 foot charters were trolling around us. i don't think that they were hooking up as much.

Peter

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice report
    we may try to get a crew out next week

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,

Hammered diamond jigs were the jig they loved yesterday. I threw some shimano butterfly jigs and some other types at them. They did not get touched.

Also, out of the six fish on, 1 hit 3 feet off of the bottom, 3 were at about 110 feet down, 1 was at about 50 feet down and 1 hit about 20 feet from the surface.

Also, biggest tip is to fish right in the middle of the claw. The water was bubbling. While we were nailing fish the 50 to 70 foot charters were trolling around us. i don't think that they were hooking up as much.

Peter
    How did you jig with hammered diamond jigs ? Just up and down.
    It happened on one of our trips. Diamond jigs outfished any other jigs. :eek:
    As we drift, we can cover many different areas.
    Canyon Runner was there ? Capt Mark said he would fish there from Wed afternoon. Thanks for the info.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that report makes me wish i still lived there :)

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

man that sounds sweet!

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

that report makes me wish i still lived there :)
    roadtrip:D :D fishings good..
    looking to start throwing poppers down here;)

11. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Does the Zeebaas have the same line-lay problem (hour glass shape) and resistance while reeling as the Van Staal does? I've been wanting to try one because of the weight but did not enjoy my experience with the Van Staal. Does the handle seem comfortable for fighting fish?

Thanks,
    Bao

12. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

We will find out soon, Kil have one and I should have mine by next week.

13. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Nice! I can't wait to see it. I'm sure you're getting the bail model.

14. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Bail model is not available yet should be out soon that what I heard.

Mine is dual manual pickup.

15. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Those guys at Zeebaas told me to pre-order one from a distributer so the demand would force them to release them quicker. That was in March. I wonder if they're ever gonna release it.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Does the Zeebaas have the same line-lay problem (hour glass shape) and resistance while reeling as the Van Staal does? I've been wanting to try one because of the weight but did not enjoy my experience with the Van Staal. Does the handle seem comfortable for fighting fish?

Thanks,
    Bao

Rob explained that the reel is designed to get more lines at the base of spool.
    I'll find out whether there is any line-lay problem tomorrow.
    Reeling is pretty stiff. Rob said it get smoother once I catch a few nice fish.
    But when I checked proto-type Offshore reels, reeling was much smoother.
    I intend all the Zeebaas reel I carry have oval power knob. The regular round knob looks nice, but it is not for big fish. I'll find out the oval power knob is adequate for big tuna or AJ. If not, I'll make recommendations to Rob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. peterb

peterb Member

I was using a 7 1/2 foot glass rod made by Kevin Bogan. I would just looked at the ff and try to fish where the marks were. With the long rod I would lift it up and then drop it. Most of the hits came on the drop. I have caught many striped bass this way, but never tuna.

My captain was on the blower with Capt Mark. Sounded like Capt Mark was doing an over nighter there last night. Was does that tell you about the canyon fishing?

Also, saw Capt John from Caveman Sportsfishing.

It was very cool to have three guys on a 26' cc all hooked up at the same time with the mega boats just circling us on the troll.

18. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Thanks Kil, I look forward to your report about the reel. I'm torn between the ZX27 and and the new 10000SW.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

nice deal peter....ive got a few bogan rods as well. he does nice work

20. peterb

peterb Member

The bogan rods are certainly hevier than the new Shimano/Star jigging rods, but the Bogan rods have a heck of a backbone. This picture is of a Bogan rod that is hooked up with a nice 100 pound+ tuna.

[​IMG]