360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While bluefin jigging slowed down in Lobster Claw out of NJ, bluefin in Cape Cod started to hit jigs finally.
Angelo, Yong and myself fished with Capt Dom in Cape Cod today. We went to SW corner of Stellwagen Bank early in the morning as some nice bluefin were caught there last couple of days, but we found the area is loaded with bluefin and dogfish without any sign of bluefin.
As usual, Capt Dom ran 40 more miles in search of bluefin and we finally found area with many whales and birds. When we got there it seemed action was over as all birds were sitting on the water.
While we were casting blindly, Dom hooked up a bluefin near the bottom on famouse 7.5 oz flat hammered diamond jig/assist hook.
Yong and Angelo fought the fish together. While fighting, the rod tip section got broken even it was not in high sticking position. It was thrid time I experienced rods got brokine while fighting big bluefin this year. The rod has pretty good reputation as durable. There must be some defect on the rod. Even the rod got broken, we managed to land the fish which turned out to be 65 incher.

even Dom joined the fight. :)

I brought new Hots 5'6" One Pitch Slider 56XH jigging rod to test with big bluefin. I had a nice hit while jigging up and down in 100 ft down, but I missed it. It dind't take long when I got second chance. While I dropped my Sevenseas glow Hooker Darter 220g, I noticed line went sideway. I hurridly crank fast to get rid of slack line and set the hook as soon as I felt weight. Fish is on !
I fought the fish to the end as I wanted to test the rod's strength and to know how the rod performs. It took about 25 minutes to get the leader line with the use of Stella 20000FA fillled with 80 lbs Tuff line/80 lbs Yozuri pink fluoro carbon. The fork length was 66 7/8
inches (about 170 lbs). The 56XH is super light (under 9 oz) and looks fragile, but it handled the big bluefin superbly.
I was told that the newe Hots One Pitch Slider rods are much stronger than Hote Wei World and I believe it now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tunacapecod08-14-09036.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tunacapecod08-14-09037.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tunacapecod08-14-09042.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tunacapecod08-14-09050.jpg

Angelo got the third bluefin on a jig. It was again on my 7.5 oz flat hammered diamond jig. After he fought about 15 minutes, tuna pulled the hook. He was using 8/0 Gamatatsu Siwash hook.

We didn't land any tuna on poppers, but nobody complained as we had excellent jigging instead. :) We are going to have excellent bluefin jigging in Cape Cod from now on as good jigging usually continues to the end of season once bluefin start to respond to jigs.

Capt Chip's boat nearby.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ksong/2009/tunacapecod08-14-09060.jpg

·
2,924 Posts
great report Kil, Congrats to your crew and Dom. Sounds like you had a great trip. I have always liked Hots rods, oddly enough I like the 52XH better than the 48XXH in the Wei World. You believe these rods are stronger? Will you be carrying them?

·
2,753 Posts
Very Nice trip out Kil.
Bluefin on jigs already at cape cod? My hopes for lobster claw have started to diminish. Great job on the catch!

Jie and I will be up to see you next week with Willy...

·
1,025 Posts
Great catch Ksong!!! Thanks for the report and pictures!

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great report Kil, Congrats to your crew and Dom. Sounds like you had a great trip. I have always liked Hots rods, oddly enough I like the 52XH better than the 48XXH in the Wei World. You believe these rods are stronger? Will you be carrying them?
I've seen several Hot Wei got broken. That is why I was reluctant to carry them because of warranty issue. When I was told new One Pitch Slide is much stronger than Hot Wei World, I got to test them myself.
Once I landed a 170 lbs bluefin with the rod, I would say the rod can handle for any fish we catch. One Pitch Slider 56H weighs slightly over 8 oz while 65XH whille 56XH weighs slightly under 9 oz.

While it is pure joy to jig with short and light 48" Hot Wei World, I found there are some advantages of using 5'6" rod. As One Pitch Slider indicates, to make sliding effect of long jigs, 5'4" - 5'6" rod is more effective than shorter rods.
As some already know, tuna jigging doesn't require super fast cranking. I got many tuna hit by long slow jerking even with short jigs.
And I feel a little longer rod is safer when fighting a big fish on a boat, especially when I fight on a boat with outboard engine.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also ... were you yo yo'ing or jerk crank?
I got the first hit when I jig up and down and I got the second hit when my jig fall down. I saw line went horizontally and set the hook after get rid of slack line. Dam and Angelo got hit while they were jerking/cranking.

Many fishermen outside West Coast use 'yo yoing' for up and down jigging motion, but the phrase was originated from West Coast and 'yo yo' jigging means 'cast/drop and crank' for them. But if everybody uses 'yo yo'jigging for 'up and down' jigging, the meaning can be changed. :)

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very Nice trip out Kil.
Bluefin on jigs already at cape cod? My hopes for lobster claw have started to diminish. Great job on the catch!

Jie and I will be up to see you next week with Willy...
Enoch,
It is mind boggling that the best bluefin jigging and popping in Cape Cod didn't start yet. :)
Insead of spending money at my shop, let go fishing to Cape Cod with that money. :)

·
580 Posts
Nice catch Kil,
Too bad I couldn't come with you guys, too many ppl were off that day, next time I'll call a sick of work day off to join you :p
Cya next week with Nochy and Jei at your office, we'll have some beers and talk tuna! :cool:

·
Banned
223 Posts
I just bought a 500g Jigging Master from kil and he sent me the One Pitch Slider to compare and all I can say is WOW it is so light and feels very strong i think i will be keeping both, have a trip planned this weekend out of Venice for tuna and rig, will also throw some Heru poppers from Kil as well

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just bought a 500g Jigging Master from kil and he sent me the One Pitch Slider to compare and all I can say is WOW it is so light and feels very strong i think i will be keeping both, have a trip planned this weekend out of Venice for tuna and rig, will also throw some Heru poppers from Kil as well
I sent both rods to compare and choose one, not to buy both of them. :) Hots rods are finesse rods compared to JM rods.
I forgot to include Heru wahoo or Ulua stickbait. I am gaining confidence of stickbait for tuna.
I'll join you soon as I need to test some tackles in Gulf of Mexico.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts