Blue Fin Fishing at Cape

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by ALW, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ALW

ALW Senior Member

Planning a trip to the Cape Sept 15-19. Would like to get some Bluefin Tuna fishing. A 500 and 800 lb BF were brough in to Rock Harbor last weekend.

Ksong or anyone up there have any recommendations where I might get a spot on a boat?

Al

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Have you contacted Capt. Dom?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Al,
    I don't want to discourage you, but your chance to get a giant on a few day fishing is very slim unless you are extremely lucky.
    Besides, it is hard to get a split charter with other guys as most recreational fishermen rarely charter a boat for giant.
    Besides, giant belongs to the boat even you charter and catch one.
    When you fight a giant on your charter, you got to stand the abuses and curses from the captain if you make any small mistake as the fish is a big money for them.
    I am thinking about going up to Prince Edward Island, Canada for giant fishing where you have much better chance to hook up a giant.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

Al,

I am thinking about going up to Prince Edward Island, Canada for giant fishing where you have much better chance to hook up a giant.

Thats the place to go get them

5. ALW

ALW Senior Member

We are going to be staying in Orleans with friends on the Cape, so I booked a trip on the Helen H. Will be fishing the smaller Blue Fin. Couldn't find a spot on a 6 pack. Anyone fished on the HelenH? My friends sent me photos of a 500 and 800lb tuna caught at the cape a couple of weeks ago. The 800lb was caught on a 23 ft boat singlehanded and the guy had to tow it to the marina. He sold it for $10000. Just want to give the Bluefin a shot and excape the heat and hurricanes of the Gulf.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The Helen H is a good tuna boat. But they don't target bluefin, but yft or longfin tuna at canyons. They troll daytime. When they get hit while trolling, they usually jig. So be ready your jigging rod when trolling.
    At night they usually anchor and chunk for yft, lft or swordfish. Many guys on the boat like to jig. You might meet a regular guy who jig with 50SW all night. :) On the East Coast. most guys put to rod in rod holers by using sinker. So braided line on chunking reel is not allowed. However the HH allow the use of braided line for jigging. You'll see excellent and friendly mates there. Say hello to Matt and Dave for me.
    Peter814 used to be a mate of the HH and you might ask him about the operation of the HH.

7. ALW

ALW Senior Member

Ksong: Thanks for the info. I plan to do some jigging. Will put a longer top shot 100 ft for chunking and see if that's ok with them.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksong: Thanks for the info. I plan to do some jigging. Will put a longer top shot 100 ft for chunking and see if that's ok with them.
    Tell them you are my friend and you'll be fine. :)

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey ALW when do you plan on going up...i am planning to fish/work hard for the next few weeks on the HH

10. ALW

ALW Senior Member

I will be on the HH for the Tuna Trip this weekend 13-14. See you there.

Al

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

i replied to your PM Al