360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the past couple of hours battling a virus on my pc. Happy to report all cleaned out. This ones called Alureon and is quite nasty. To start killing it you have to open task manager and close it's service and then your anti virus can deal with it

Under services tab in task manager there will be a whole list of cryptic items. These are things currently running on your pc. Many are required but a whole heap will be nasties either missed by your anti virus/spyware or garbage loaded by programs that you hardly use or need and they tie up system resources.

It is possible to stop the nasty and unneeded ones from loading at system start. The trouble is finding which ones are good and which ones ratshit. I wouldn't recommend searching on google info on em as I came across some malicious descriptions stating the opposite of what they really were

One thing we can do is help each other and compile our list of what services are running on our pc, what they really do and how to deal with them. If anyone wants to know about a particular service running in their task manager then post here and we'll disect it

·
2,924 Posts
That why you should get a Mac for christmas ... virus free. You make amazing looking rods by the way my friend. Very unique and detail orientated

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will they be serving mac turkey!, sorry, couldnt resist that one....lol

The mac's are not bad but there is an elegance about MS windows when it comes to mucking around and having a million different combination of things you can do. Unfortunately this also means its vulnerable to easy mischief. I have now been running this particular installation for many years and had my share of battles, a funny one was where a music file had a trojan and the hacker managed to break my password. The monitor was off and I could hear clicking. Turning it on and the pc is logged on and files and folders being opened. Getting control back wiping it out was furious and a bit of a weird rush!

Getting to know what happens on the pc and how your can goe around getting better control of it definitely helps

·
1,703 Posts
Go to Malwarebytes.org and download their tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.42. There is a free version and their free version does more than most pay software. It is the only thing that has gotten me out of some serious jams. Get it and run in once a week. Malware is almost, if not worse, than some viruses. (note: it take an hour+ to fully scan so do it in your down time)

·
1,448 Posts
The mac's are not bad but there is an elegance about MS windows
that is the first time ive ever heard that!!!

you make a mean rod by the way. i wish you weren't so far away or i could use your help.
Merry christmas.

·
175 Posts
+1 for malwarebytes

also try running msconfig on your system and stop everything that doesnt look like something you need. if your using xp& newer its smart enough to not let you kill something you shouldnt. it wont kill most viruses or malware BUT, it will usually help identify the issue and an added bonus is that it will almost always speed up your machine.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
I think he meant there's something elegant about MAC that Windows
doesn't have; but he's the kind of guy that does not like simple/elegant
interfaces and prefer the complexities of Windows OS :)

more complexities = more things to do

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is the first time ive ever heard that!!!

You gotta admit, when it comes to enthusiast use, there is nothing finer. Even Apple is taking a bite now!

Merry Xmas all. Its 6am christmas morning here in Sydney. The temperature is already almost unbearable. Been working whole night, finished the underwraps on 'the phantom' earlier and just finishing the unders on the 'salti strikes back'. Oh and the rum has been flowing freely whole night and my face feels like its lit up like a globe. Thanks for the compliments. Its a difficult market here when it comes to jig and pop rods as the Japanese brand worship is a very big factor and for a 'gaijin' to make a living by competing with it is difficult

·
1,095 Posts
You gotta admit, when it comes to enthusiast use, there is nothing finer. Even Apple is taking a bite now!

Merry Xmas all. Its 6am christmas morning here in Sydney. The temperature is already almost unbearable. Been working whole night, finished the underwraps on 'the phantom' earlier and just finishing the unders on the 'salti strikes back'. Oh and the rum has been flowing freely whole night and my face feels like its lit up like a globe. Thanks for the compliments. Its a difficult market here when it comes to jig and pop rods as the Japanese brand worship is a very big factor and for a 'gaijin' to make a living by competing with it is difficult

Saqa,

Merry Christmas, brother! The japanese may make good production rods, but they do not come close to your creations! Keep it up!

Wishing you the best for 2010!

Butch

·
3,718 Posts
Just purchased a Mac for the family. will fire it up tomorrow. My dell with XP is still fine ,but it's a continuing battle to keep it trouble free. looking foreward to a little break in that Dept.

I just finished a new creation for a fishing buddy of mine.(for free:cool: ) I've been having fun rebuilding a bunch of my old rods and experimenting with "different" color combinations. and doing some fancy diamond and chevron stuff. This new one is a 4' 10" 400G rainshadow blank.that I did,from scratch,as a conv. jigger,and a little differently than the few of my own I did recently. I'll post some pics a little later. came out Sweet!

Merry Christmas to all 360ers.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just purchased a Mac for the family. will fire it up tomorrow. My dell with XP is still fine ,but it's a continuing battle to keep it trouble free. looking foreward to a little break in that Dept.

I just finished a new creation for a fishing buddy of mine.(for free:cool: ) I've been having fun rebuilding a bunch of my old rods and experimenting with "different" color combinations. and doing some fancy diamond and chevron stuff. This new one is a 4' 10" 400G rainshadow blank.that I did,from scratch,as a conv. jigger,and a little differently than the few of my own I did recently. I'll post some pics a little later. came out Sweet!

Merry Christmas to all 360ers.

Good to see you are trying different things mate, the new stick looks nice.

Saqa sleep now, hopefully I have been a good boy and there will be something from santa when I wake :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts