Bled, gilled/gutted?

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by Dobhar-Chu, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Hello all,

New to the board. As I look at the deep sea and multi day trip pictures I don't see the catch gilled and gutted in any pictures. If an angler prefers to immediately bleed, gill and gut his catch right after landing the fish is that OK?

D-C

2. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

All Yellowfin caught on the NewBucc are Gutted and Bled, then placed into a ice slurry to drop the core temp.

gotmuddy and Illy like this.

3. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Thank you Capt. Matt. Are the Snapper, grouper, and Amberjacks treated the same?

D-C

4. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

They are not. There wouldn’t be enough time for the crew to gut all the bottom fish. The main reason I have them gut the yellows is to allow the ice water into the cavity and get the core temp down. I’m sure if you wanted to throw a healthy tip to one of the mates they would be happy to take care of it though.

Gonefishings likes this.
  5. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Thank you for the replies Capt. Matt, classy...

I am relocating and am seeking Gulf of Mexico long range trips, boats, and captains to become familiar with. I frequent the west coast boats for long range (three a year, (8 day, 10 day and a 16 day) as well as local 1.5 day trips every week during the local tuna season. I look forward to trying Gulf tuna trips as well as bottom fishing and can see there will be adjustments to be made...

Once again thanks for the response Capt Matt.

D-C

6. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

I hope to take you fishing in the near future. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Gonefishings and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  7. moranmd

moranmd Senior Member

The crew on the NB do a great job taking care of your fish. Your tuna will be sushi quality every time. Even during a wide open bite, they get those fish chilled quickly and I have never seen any issues.

Capt.matt likes this.
  8. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Thank you Moranmd. High quality meat, not just Tuna, is essential to me, three freezers and fish 6 days a week...

D-C

lite-liner likes this.
  9. Illy

Illy Active Member

how long after you catch them do they stay sushi grade?

10. Fish Killah

Fish Killah Member

Yeah there are differences. West coast long range boats usually cool the catch using a saltwater slush. Bleeding and gilling is essential there. However, ice keeps fish a lot fresher even with gills. I'm a fan of bleeding fish as I bleed just about everything that I catch. It makes a difference. I'm not a huge fan of the west coast slush.

11. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

Totally agree, it only takes a second to pull a blade and slit through gill membrane to bleed everything. Like Matt on NB, we spike, bleed, and slurry all tuna as they are a warm blooded fish. White meat fish just get bled and iced. (capt Fred aka hyperman, new kittie, er... scat cat.)

Capt.matt and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  12. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

Illy, Most sushi grade you eat in restaurants have been frozen. We do all we can with the round fish to keep it sushi grade, when i get home and have a chunk of yft tuna, if i keep it dried and plastic wrapped, in the fridge, i can sashimi it it for about ten days. If i properly dry and vacuum bag, deep freeze and protect from micro defrosts by providing a secondary air barrier (ie: take six packes and put in a ziplock, preferable a paper bag, better still, bubble wrap bag, it is sashimi grade for 6 months if you follow sashimi guide to defrosting.

Capt.matt and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  13. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

I think it’s actually recommended to freeze tuna for 24-48 hours before consuming raw. Not sure if there is any truth to it but it’s supposed to kill the bacteria. I just make sure to clean them on a sterile surface and keep the meat on the skin with the skin down until it’s ready to bag. So far so good.

14. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

Here are a couple chunks from a 110 caught two nights ago. Some of the best quality YFT I have had. Gutted, bled and left in ice slurry for 45 minutes. 904A37D7-19CC-4987-9BB6-868DD0A57CB5.jpeg

15. Dobhar-Chu

Dobhar-Chu Active Member

Matt, pretty meat... what was in their bellies? what are they eating...

D-C

16. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

That fish was completely full of our chum with only one flyer. I’m surprised it even ate my popper.