360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some drag pulls/bends I did with John today. We get bored easily!

Seeker 50-130 Long Range Fast Action Stand Up E glass (TSF55XXH):

Calstar 655XH 40-100#, I gotta rewrap this one with taller guides:

Am Tackle 80-130# Composite, also a fast action:

OTI 600gr:

OTI 7'6" 80# Popping rod

Yeah, I gotta clean my 30; its a litle jerky, hasn't been fully broken yet!

·
73 Posts
Gotta say I love the action of the seeker and Calstar. I wish there were more reviews like this of the bends of different blanks.

·
528 Posts
Great job Tim. Those are nice quick vids! I think I know whats next in my lineup!

PS- truck ended up not running yesterday, towed to the dealer today. Luckily warranty isnt up yet!

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Am Tackle 80-130# Composite, also a fast action:

Hey! dont you know that Amarican tackle stick is supposed to break the first time you look at it, so I heard around the place! LOL

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL Saga, I think I heard something about that! That blank would be very nice for a spiral roller rod since it shuts off pretty quickly. But it puts a good deal of strain on you compared to the Seeker.

Corey, I know all about trucks. My avalanche is rusting apart, especially the brake system. 2 sets of brakes in less than 4 months due to corrosion :(

I am going to strip the guides and redo the Calstar. I really like the All American Roller Guides, but the stripper especially is just way too low. For a fast action blank, maybe, but not a slow blank! The guides are very nice, lightweight, flexible and with good knot clearance, but other than that, the stripper is just too low. I will try replacing the stripper guide first and see how that goes.

My Fave is the Seeker 50-130#. Very soft and comfy on the angler!

·
Site Sponsor
1,249 Posts
LOL Saga, I think I heard something about that! That blank would be very nice for a spiral roller rod since it shuts off pretty quickly. But it puts a good deal of strain on you compared to the Seeker.

Corey, I know all about trucks. My avalanche is rusting apart, especially the brake system. 2 sets of brakes in less than 4 months due to corrosion :(

I am going to strip the guides and redo the Calstar. I really like the All American Roller Guides, but the stripper especially is just way too low. For a fast action blank, maybe, but not a slow blank! The guides are very nice, lightweight, flexible and with good knot clearance, but other than that, the stripper is just too low. I will try replacing the stripper guide first and see how that goes.

My Fave is the Seeker 50-130#. Very soft and comfy on the angler!

On slower action blanks perhaps add another small guide up towards tip which will allow you to bring that stripper on back some maybe is all ya need there I would think..gonna look at that vid again
Great pulling action there!
Got me fired up for some Grouper diggin if it ever warms up here in Fla,,cold as you up there practically,,Gulf is now in upper 40s and I cant remember the last time it was in the 40's! Dam I am moving back north where its warm ,,or atleast ya can snowmobile!

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it was my first tuna stick, and with the 50W I had originally on it, I needed the stripper that far away for clearance with the frame of the roller guide so it wouldn't rub the side of the frame. The AA guides are great, but just too small IMHO in the frame sizes. I emailed them to see if they could make a larger stripper guide and they told me they were just making those sizes. Kinda sucks!

·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the 30N Avet, and will add a Aftco Wind On 47 stripper guide; I have the clearance for the line in the frame window with the 30N now! Sweet! I don't have to redo all of the guides now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts