360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has used this rod before for jigging? It's marked as a popping and jigging rod, but doesn't sound like many people have used it for speed jigging. At the moment I have a Star Aerial Jigging rod XH 6', 160-325 gram, and it has been a really solid rod. However recently on a 30 hour Tuna fishing safari trip out of Galveston I felt a little under gunned as far as having lifting power with the rod while jigging for BFT. A couple guys told me I needed a rod with a little more backbone and longer. I did notice a lot of people jigging with longer rods and was wondering what people here use or like using for a jigging rod while on a head boat. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
137 Posts
The 7'6" Cow Special is the perfect GOM Tuna rod for headboat versatility. It handles heavy jigs with ease and doesn't wear me out. Its also a great live bait pitch rod and can cast heavy Halcos snd poppers almost as well as longer specialized popping rods. The rods strong point however is in fighting big tuna. I also throw wahoo iron on the slide with it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great to hear! Do you feel like the rod is parabolic enough to work vertical jigs fast? I just got a Saragossa 20,000, it's not the new model but the 2014 model, I bought it before I felt how smooth the Stella is. I did noticed A LOT of Stella's on the party boat. The reel I was using was a 10,000 Spheros with 50 lb. braid and 80 flouro, attached with a PR. Hoping the Gosa gives me a little more cranking power.

·
137 Posts
The rod is a compromise between fish fighting and casting distance and between weight and strength. The rod is quite parabolic but with heavy lifting ease for a 7 and a half foot rod. The extra length of the rod is useful for keeping the fish off of the hull of a boat with rails but a longer rod like this will wear me out faster than a shorter rod of the same power. Your Saragossa will be a fine match for this rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts