Bimini Knot Problems

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by feeder, Jul 13, 2008.

1. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Hey Guys,

Has anyone else had any problems with their Bimini knots slipping when using braided lines? I've been tying everything from a 12 turn - 25 turn knot with 2-3 locks and finishing with the reverse uni as usual. A 40 turn will hold but it's way too big for my taste.

The problem only happens when I put the line under serious strain like tying it off to a stationary object and pulling on it with an iron rod. It basically slips down to become a hangman noose. I've even tried super glue to keep it from slipping but it just cracks and flakes off. Any advice?

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Is your braid coated with wax or something?

3. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Is your braid coated with wax or something?

I've tried it with SpiderWire Stealth, JB, Stren and PowerPro (both new and line that had gone through a season of fishing).

The JB (hollow core) seems to hold a little better but stills slips and I'm pretty sure that's uncoated. If the line has a coating it definately slips though.

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I use a seven turn surgens knot and no longer have a problem.

5. bigfishjaeck

bigfishjaeck Junior member

Agree with the surgeon knot comment... I've never had problems.

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

I would pull an end loop in JB hollow core and forget the knot. Much more streamlined.

The 40 turn bimini should be longer and not fatter when properly tied.

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Tony,
    Loops are the prefered method, but not all spectra or dyneema is hollow.
    Anybody can tie a seven turn surgens knot in seconds.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jerry Brown himself says that no knot is greater than 70 % in Spectra. The 7 turn Surgeon's Loop is one of the best--pull it up ssllloooowwwlllyy from both sides. The knot is a little fat but not too much so and very short.

Russ

9. feeder

feeder Senior Member

So you guys seemed to have had the same problem with the Bimini in spectra then I take it.

Are you just using the surgeon's loop or doing a sugeon's knot join?

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

whatre you connecting it to?

11. Deep_Sea_Gull

Tony,
    Loops are the prefered method, but not all spectra or dyneema is hollow.
    Anybody can tie a seven turn surgens knot in seconds.

There are several solid spectras that one can pull a loop into. I have had zero problems with a 40 turn bimini twist that was properly tied and locked with super glue.

All that said.... the 7 turn surgeons loop is a good second choice to form a quick end loop. Jerry Brown and Basil Pappas agree on this.

In the end... Practice your knots. Learn from breaking them. Tie YOUR BEST KNOT. Have confidence in your fishing...

I will pull an end loop first and then use a bimini twist in a rush or for spectra that I can not pull a loop. I have confidence in my method....

12. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Bimini is being tied in spectra for a connection to a fluorocarbon leader with an albright.

13. jureal

jureal Senior Member

This is a very significant question. Usually, the bimini is tied to either termninate in another knot using the doulble line or is connected loop to loop using a cats paw. Under either scenario, I have not noted any slipping.

The comment about JB hollow is also significant. If it is hollow or pseudo-hollow, you can just do a spliced loop and that will never slip.

What is your application?

14. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Bimini is being tied in spectra for a connection to a fluorocarbon leader with an albright.

Well, then slippage should not be an issue if both legs of the bimini is used in the albright.

BTW, my spectra biminis always have at least 30+ turns and I always terminate the bimini by tying a 7-9 turn uni that is then unraveled into concentric wraps by hand and then pulling the tag end to tighten.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I was just wondering in general. I've used a bimini a few times but ever since trying the PR knot I won't go back. The mid-knot is similar too and Kil uses it with success, obviously. These knots do not slip at all and have a smaller profile than the bimini. It looks complicated to tie, but once you watch someone tie it once it is actually very easy.

16. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I was just wondering in general. I've used a bimini a few times but ever since trying the Page Ranking knot I won't go back. The mid-knot is similar too and Kil uses it with success, obviously. These knots do not slip at all and have a smaller profile than the bimini. It looks complicated to tie, but once you watch someone tie it once it is actually very easy.

Bret, do you have a page that shows how to tie that knot? Complicated doesn't bug me as long as it's effective.

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

this one is pretty good - though watching someone in person is really helpful. i watched gman do 4 of my reels in person in north carolina and it's been a snap ever since.

Knots for Dummies

18. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

So you guys seemed to have had the same problem with the Bimini in spectra then I take it.

Are you just using the surgeon's loop or doing a sugeon's knot join?

I've not had a problem with a Bimini, but the surgend loop is so much faster on a rocking boat and the knot is not bulky.

Face it I'm lazy!:D

19. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I don't like tying the bimini, but have never had one slip. I've gone to the surgeon's knot too, very easy to tie, and I've never had a problem yet.

Of course I haven't fished 30lbs of drag for a significant amount of time with the knot either.

dbg

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Tom,
    That was the knot for both of those AJ's.