Biggest you've Ever Caught on Kayak

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by rmasse10, Dec 7, 2014.

1. rmasse10

rmasse10 Supporting Members

So I have done Kayak fishing and never really catch anything big...what is the biggest and type you have ever caught and "kept"

Just curious...pictures would be nice as well

Gonefishings likes this.
  2. Captain Ross

Captain Ross Senior Member

I catch lots of adult tarpon in the kayak. Never keep them, obviously. Also caught large cobia, snook and grouper. I've only kept a few cobia, usually release the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonefishings and MarlinMaster like this.

3. rmasse10

rmasse10 Supporting Members

Nice...how the hell do you get it back....??? LOL

4. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

90lb sail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of being towed by 7.5' hammerhead:

http://youtu.be/3k0udlj_ZXc

[​IMG]

Osage likes this.
  5. Tagdog

Tagdog Member

Nice fish! I get a lot of nice Kingfish and Cobia. Really would like to get a Tarpon or Sail. Someone caught a Sail last year during the Bluewater Kayak Classic out of Port A. BNZ, you should come come down for that next year. It is usually in August and there are over 100 kayakers there. Biggest King, Ling and Reef fish take prizes. Usually a food spread. Lot of fun!

6. porcha

porcha Broscientist

No saltwater experience but I've caught a few nice cats

Attached Files:

7. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Doesn't appear that the yak forum gets much love. I'll bump this old topic with a quick hello and what's up to everyone.
    What up minnow
    I have caught quite a few large cobia, sharks and kings on the yak. Not sure of weight but cobia over 30lb and kings upwards of 52 inches.
    Nothing like a good BTB trip

[​IMG]

8. porcha

porcha Broscientist

fun stuff -- where ya fishing out of?

9. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

I fish out of Port Aransas in Texas. Usually launch off the beach. MP rigs or Bob hall rigs. Sometimes fish a few reefs off Padre Island National seashore.
    Heading out today to catch s few stripers in the Brazos. Been slaying them to 24lbs.

lite-liner likes this.
  10. kboi2005

kboi2005 New Member

Biggest fish I caught here on kauai, HI. is a amberjack (kahala) we call them here.. couldn't weigh it but it was a fighter

Attached Files:

11. Jaro

Jaro New Member

How much pressure - that is rod and line rating can you develop on kayak guys? I only have 70# european catfish and that is not a pelagic it fights like wrestler. I still assume that going after bigger fish - I still plan my adriatics trip for tuna I could keep somehow lighter gear on assumption I ll be towed anyway. Do you backpedal or deploy chute when towed?

12. porcha

porcha Broscientist

the resistance from the kayak will be enough to wear down the fish. I would steer with the paddle or backpedal if available

I'd just cut off a big shark or ray, not going to be worth the ride. I've heard of big sails and wahoo towing for miles though -- and you dont want to be paddling back against the tide