Big tuna disabled my Saragosa reel

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I made a bluefin jigging trip out of Cape May, NJ yesterday. We were at the right place at the right time and tuna were in biting mood.
    We released many 100 lbs class bluefin tuna on jigs. I hooked up a big tuna when I was experimenting my new Shimano 500g Jigwreck rod on Saragosa 18000F reel with Japanese style jigging. The fish made a spectacular run at amazing speed though I had 22 - 24 lbs drag on my reel. This was the first time any tuna made such a run since I caught a 283 lbs yellowfin out of Puerto Vallarta years ago. My reel got almost spooled and we had to chase the fish. But unfortunately the drag became lock-down drag. Eventually we lost the fish under the boat when split ring attached to the hook got opened. :eek: Before the incident, the Saragosa reel performed beautifully with 100 lbs class tuna. I used the reel out of box and find out what caused the problem. Anyway, I feel that any reel couldn't have survived after such a long and fast run except Stella, Saltiga or Twinspin.

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Those big tuna can be frisky. I killed a #575 two years ago on tiagra 50. It took several hours on that reel. Do you think you can get carbontex washers from smoothdrag.com and fix it?
    Cheers,
    Jim

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Thanks for the report Kil. I better target tunas under 100lbs when using my Sara. Why you rig split ring to hook? Ha ha hear I am questioning a great expert, just real curious why. Too bad you lost that fish. Exciting life we fishermen live.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks for the report Kil. I better target tunas under 100lbs when using my Sara. Why you rig split ring to hook? Ha ha hear I am questioning a great expert, just real curious why. Too bad you lost that fish. Exciting life we fishermen live.
    I let Mike, owner of the boat use my Jigwreck rod/Saragosa 18000F. He constantly dropped tuna on a jig with assist hook. And I suggested to ue any conventional jig he have and he used his diamond jig with a single hook which was attached by a split ring.
    While he was resting, I just wanted to experiment Japanese style jigging and used the setup. As it was in releasing mood, I didn't really care about terminal tackles. :)

5. jig

jig Senior Member

Kil, same type question. You said no reel but Stella, Saltiga or Twinspin could survive. Is that based on out of the box performance? So the failure was drag material and/or configuration? I looked on Shimano schematics and the drags do not even appear in the diagram. Is it built in the spool, and therefore not replacable/upgradable? That would be a major disadvantage in the reel design!

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: With your slow diamond jigging on the July 3-6 trip, were you using a single hook on the bottom for both bottom fishing and tuna OR were you using an assist hook?

Also, did you use a diamond most of the time?

Thanks.

Russ

7. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I looked on Shimano schematics and the drags do not even appear in the diagram. Is it built in the spool, and therefore not replacable/upgradable? That would be a major disadvantage in the reel design!

They are very replaceable. For some reason, Shimano doesn't list the drags in the schematics. I guess they prefer to sell you a new spool. The Spheros is the same way. When you send them back to Shimano, they have replaced the whole spool. Smoooth Drag has replacement washers, I believe

8. jig

jig Senior Member

Yeah, I replaced my Spheros drags with the Smoothdrag carbotex with Cals grease, and I have been very happy. But I have not had a run like Kil described (I've caught plenty of 85#-90#ish YFT on it, but have yet to break the 100# mark). I gotta think (at least I hope) that the failure is something that would be fixed with Carbotex and Cals.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, same type question. You said no reel but Stella, Saltiga or Twinspin could survive. Is that based on out of the box performance? So the failure was drag material and/or configuration? I looked on Shimano schematics and the drags do not even appear in the diagram. Is it built in the spool, and therefore not replacable/upgradable? That would be a major disadvantage in the reel design!
    I used Saragosa out of box purposely to experiment. I don't know what caused the problem. I'd like to talk directly to Shimano rep before I send it to Shimano to know the cause.

10. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I made a bluefin jigging trip out of Cape May, NJ yesterday. We were at the right place at the right time and tuna were in biting mood.
    We released many 100 lbs class bluefin tuna on jigs. .

Sounds like a great day Kil! So you experimented using Japanese Speed Jigging Technique with a Hammered Diamong Jig and it worked! I like the blending of both traditions into one style :)

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil: With your slow diamond jigging on the July 3-6 trip, were you using a single hook on the bottom for both bottom fishing and tuna OR were you using an assist hook?

Also, did you use a diamond most of the time?

Thanks.

Russ
    I was about to send PM back to you.
    I always carry diamond/hammered diamond jigs whenever I go as they are effective and it doesn't cost much even I lose some of them.
    I seldom use assist hooks on diamond jigs, but assist hook should work with diamond jigs.

Diamond jigs are definitely my favorite jigs, but I use many other jigs.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

some pictures of the trip.

my 53-54 incher which was probably around 100 lbs. Most tuna were in the same range.
    [​IMG]

Mike fighting a nice tuna on my Shimano 500g Jigwreck rod/Saragosa 18000F.
    [​IMG]

Brian using 400g OTI jigging rod and Accurate 665 two-speed
    [​IMG]

Releasing tuna by cutting leader line.
    [​IMG]

How can you miss bites.
    [​IMG]

13. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

what happens with lock down drag? have the washers or drag material melted? would love pictures. thanks

Andrew

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the report Kil, at least we now know to what extent of abuse it can take. I sent you PM

15. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

dartanium drag washers probably melted.... shimano really should put carbon fiber drags in these reels!

16. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

good report Kil, what do you think of that JigWrex now that you've pulled a bit on it?

17. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about my 14000 I just bought

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

good report Kil, what do you think of that JigWrex now that you've pulled a bit on it?
    Mark, the rod tip looked fragile and it bend too much for my liking. I was concerned whether the rod can take beating of big tuna. But it was a big surprise that the rod handled big tuna easily and had enough backbone to fight. I am heading down to Virginia now and hope I have another chance to bend the rod with big tuna.

19. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Kil,
    Is this still the Alaska trip? :D