Big Reel slow pitch

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tugasangler, May 3, 2018.

1. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

If I’m to understand correctly these guys are slow pitching with ocea 4000 and 5000 in both 4.9 and 4.1 in very deep water . I would like to know more about these rods that can handle reels of that size for slow pitch

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    flyguy and GARRIGA like this.
  2. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I’ve suggested that. Idea wasn’t appreciated. Lol

3. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

ummm like that ?

Attached Files:

Hoogan and tugasangler like this.
  4. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

What do you want to know?

5. PE Pete

PE Pete Well-Known Member

I use a BV400 and have used BX500N not sure if that's as big as they get for SP I'm guessing probably not.

tugasangler likes this.
  6. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

There probably fishing deep as hell, more for line cap i would bet

tugasangler and north coast like this.
  7. north coast

north coast Senior Member

^^^^this

Was going to say the same thing.
    With the power some of these little reels have today, especially the two speeds, the only reason to go big is line capacity. Deep ass water.
    Also, if you notice in the vid, most of them weren't really using the rods to fight the fish. Too much fish for most slow p rods.
    The way the fish were floating up
    50 yds from the boat with their eyes and bellies popping out says a lot about the depth these guys are fishing.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    jiggingnut and tugasangler like this.
  8. buddyclaude

buddyclaude Senior Member

Holy Cow! What a video to watch. Very interesting to watch their technique. And what an amazing haul! Makes want a slow pitch rod.

tugasangler likes this.
  9. benwah22

Alright. So there's two ways you can keep a consistent retrieve on a reel while fishing in very deep water. You can either 1) have a wider reel, like a Torsa 20; or, 2) you can have a very tall reel, like a Marfix N4, with a narrow spool. Something like a Marfix S5 or a Ocea Jigger 5000p have slightly wider spools and are also very tall, so you can keep a constant retrieve in even deeper water.

The reason why they are using these reels is for the line capacity. The amount of drag matters little at that depth, and you probably don't wouldn't need a reel that puts out any more than 10kg of max drag.

These guys are fishing in water up to 800m deep, or about 2400 feet, from a spankered boat. The rods are usually very, very stiff. It looks like they are using an Evergreen HPJ501 and a Deep Liner Mania Fellows in the video.

Super deep water slow pitch jigging is an entirely different animal.

tugasangler likes this.
  10. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I can winch a 25# AJ from 300 feet with a 4000/5000p but not happening with my 2000NRPG. I can also comfortably fish 800g at 900 ft but not as effortlessly with 2000NRPG.

I’m sure line capacity factors in but in the end having to crank fish or lures from depth always going to be easier with bigger gears. I think many have this preconceived notion one should go small when they fish small. Oddly, notice some where vertical crank jerk fishing. Those lures were anything but small. Go Big. :)

tugasangler likes this.
  11. benwah22

Alex, I love you, but you've got to stop talking out of your ass. You can catch large fish on an Ocea 2000. I've done it. I've seen it done. Hell, I've caught a 40lb+ AJ in 300ft using an Ocea 2000 and Suffix 832 20lb. It's very doable.

Bigger gears aren't a factor. It's the amount of retrieve of the reel and keeping it constant. A smaller reel will have a slower retrieve the closer the line gets to the bottom of the spool. As a result, a smaller reel like an Ocea 2000 will have less of a retrieve at a comparable depth to a Marfix N4, all other factors being the same. This is why the Ocea will not be as easy retrieving a jig from depth - because for the first 1/3 of the way up, your retrieve rate is half of what it would be closer to the surface.

As for the jigs, they are using big jigs because they are fishing in deep water. The size of the jig matters little to the size of the fish. I've seen large fish eat small jigs, and small fish eat jigs twice their size.

Zerodropper400 and tugasangler like this.
  12. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

So the capacity keeps more line on the reel so the retrieve ratio isnt changed much... makes sense benny

tugasangler likes this.
  13. benwah22

Yes.

And another issue happens with the drag. The closer the line gets to the bottom of the spool, the more the drag increases - which is why its important to fish lighter drag in deeper water.

tugasangler likes this.
  14. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I landed a 200# plus Goliath on a 2000NRPG and Trevala MH. I’m not saying you need big reel to catch big. I understand as diameter reduces from line going out IPT reduces, although, drag goes up.

I’m merely stating that bigger gears act as better winches which make the laborious task of raising a 2lb lure from 900 feet easier as well as a fish that may have grabbed it. Not all deep hooked fish pop. At least, not immediately. Having more winching Power helps when bite happens that far down.

Yes. I know big fish eat little lures and big lure here was likeky due to weight but I like Big. My thing. I applaud them. Don’t care why they chose it. However, long slender can be replicated same weight with short stubby. Making for lower profile and quicker decent. They didn’t choose that.

BTW, not all were slow pitching. Saw quiet a few good ole speed Jigging. Some cod style now coined long fall. Not sure that video was specifically about SPJ.

Been fishing a longtime. Long before some born on this thread. Don’t assume it’s coming out of my ass. Consider the experience behind it. ;)

tugasangler likes this.
  15. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

They were in 200-300m which it 600-900ft . Side note .. I’ve never ever seen queens that big .. but thanks for the answers ... I’m going to stop fighting it and get my second accurate of my whole life ... by next trip I’ll have a slow pitch set up . Gravitate on dfs ... I don’t go against the grain... I try to tell people who wanna fish bait .. what works works .

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Fightingfish likes this.
  16. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

655A6605-D3A3-4F03-BE02-88901397417A.jpeg That still won’t stop me from using these guys

GARRIGA likes this.
  17. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

2BC43CB0-DC0B-444B-99B0-950CF2024999.png

6 power slow pitch rod ?

18. benwah22

Evergreen has a different rating system. It's about the same stiffness as a Levitate 3 power, but with less backbone.

tugasangler likes this.
  19. Kim

Kim Senior Member Supporting Member

That was an eye opening video. When I saw them pointing the rod at the fish, first thought was of the Big G. That's kind of how you back up a few steps the walk forward reeling in to get line trolling for palagics.

tugasangler and GARRIGA like this.
  20. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Nobody mentions the awesome tunes lol