Big Game Hook Remover

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by fishr1989, Dec 6, 2007.

1. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

Has anyone tried to make a hook remover like the ARC dehooker with the curled wire on the end of a gaff handle or part of a rod blank?

I would like to create a dehooker like it for sharking instead of having to cut the wire and leave the hook in the shark's mouth.

any ideas as to

handle material?
    wire diameter?

2. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

When TJ and I were at ICAST in Las Vegas, we met a guy that had patented a new hook remover that was the best idea AND the best quality I've ever seen.

You can select the length handle you need -up to 24 or 36"- and it will cut the barb off ANY hook so that the shank would just fall out. Very cool!

He demo'd it for us by cutting a 4x treble, some multi-strand wire, and even spectra.

I'll try to find the info we took, then post a link or contact info.

3. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

When TJ and I were at ICAST in Las Vegas, we met a guy that had patented a new hook remover that was the best idea AND the best quality I've ever seen.

You can select the length handle you need -up to 24 or 36"- and it will cut the barb off ANY hook so that the shank would just fall out. Very cool!

He demo'd it for us by cutting a 4x treble, some multi-strand wire, and even spectra.

I'll try to find the info we took, then post a link or contact info.

That sounds great, I was hoping to be able to make a hook remover rather than having to cut the hook, as the ones we use, which rust out of a fish in days, are $6 each! I appreciate any info I can get.

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

5. gman

gman Senior Member

great product especially for sharks

6. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

what size one did you buy?
    the 4'

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks Gman! I think I will get one and try it out. I have been looking for something like that for a while.

8. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

you see what they want for just bending a piece piece o'wire??!!!

ridiculous!....... (but we're talking selling to sport fisherman here i guess)

haven't tried mine yet...... it's home made but exactly like their big-game dehooker

the ony way you can tell it's not the geniune artlicle is if you look real close you'll see it's obvious the pigtail curl wasn't done in a machine...... other'n that, Perfect!

had mine made 40" long with 5/16" SS rod ......... i wanted 40" because the bottom of my feet are above the waterline in my boat and i won't have to bend over as far

i don't think you'd wanna go over 40" with straight 5/16" rod because there'll be a bit too much flex with anything made longer....... 3/8" rod might work but would be too heavy at those lengths without being mounted on a pole handle IMO

when you start using long gaff handles it's also gonna turn into a 2-man job

i may eventually have some made up for poles in 5/16 and 3/8" just for S&Gs (and big green blues ;))

if you have one made, the trick is to make sure you have that crook in the rod so it'll put the center o'the pigtail's circle dead-center of a straight line drawn along the entire rod.............. even if you're making a short pigtail for a pole