Big E Tuna Report

Discussion in 'Underwater Expeditions Lounge' started by Underwater Expeditions, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underwater Expeditions

Underwater Expeditions Site Sponsor

The boat arrived at the dock a little after one with over 90 yellowfins aboard. Blackfins, groupers, scamps, AJ's and Kil Song has a new state record grouper!

Hope everyone had a great time and we will see everyone soon for the 52 hour this weekend!

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I had lots of expections on this first ever 76 hour trip and the trip didn't disappoint me. The Big E didn't mind burning fuel to find fish as we covered Gunnison, Red Hawk, Auger and back to Gunnison.
    I had my yft on my first cast on first two nights. In addition to yft, big blackfin were eager to hit my poppers.
    In addition to catching yft on poppers, I finally caught two decent yft and lost two on jigs. It seems guys cranking fast were catching smaller yft.
    The final tally was 6 yft on poppers and two yft on jigs while losing many.
    It was like a chartered trip by 360tuna. :) I finally met many fishermen whom I have known through this site. They are all great. I was short of tackles because I had to come to the boat directly from Alaska trip and everyone wanted to help me. Thanks guys.
    Angelo who came from NJ were in awe to see how comfortable the Big E was and how nice and courteous fishermen were.
    I don't know when crew ever slept for the whole trip. The boat constantly moved when fishing slowed down and mate were there all the time when their assistance was needed. I expect more East Coast fishermen will fish on the Big E and enjoy the fabulour fishing on the fabulous boat.

Here are some pictures of the trip.

My first day yft caught on Shibuki, Heru lure and Dorado slider.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve's nice 144 lbs yft on Shibuki
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave's nice blackfin and yellofin on poppers

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

The dorado really does look like the tailwalk i used. angelo said his tailwalk worked very well.

he said the trip was really fun and liked the boat a lot. I kind of wish I went, but I'll be on at least 2 more big e trips this year :)

4. sami G

sami G Site Sponsor

Steve
    did you use a teaser on the back of your lure?
    congratulation

5. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Looks like a great trip! Congrats! Got to get on that boat. Scheduled on a 52 with Bret in Nov.

And I hope Snagged is feeling much better. Would suck to be airlifted. But congrats on the 2 big AJ's! No wonder he got dehydrated!

6. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

That's a NICE yellowfin. Congrats on a great trip!

7. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Sami, Wish you could have made it, awesome trip.
    (Kil, caption wrong above, I don't know when the man sleep , I think he fished the whole 76 hr and posting pic early this morning:D )
    lure was O.t.I. Goanna Cruiser-Green Flyer with Siden assist covered with.........you know!

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

It was like a chartered trip by 360tuna. :) I finally met many fishermen whom I have known through this site. They are all great. I was short of tackles because I had to come to the boat directly from Alaska trip and everyone wanted to help me. Thanks guys.
    Angelo who came from NJ were in awe to see how comfortable the Big E was and how nice and courteous fishermen were.
    I don't know when crew ever slept for the whole trip. The boat constantly moved when fishing slowed down and mate were there all the time when their assistance was needed. I expect more East Coast fishermen will fish on the Big E and enjoy the fabulour fishing on the fabulous boat.

The 360 Tuna board was almost lifeless while you guys were gone. lol

9. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Congrats on the big one Fathom. Nice fish! What rod is that?

And no, we don't know what that OTI popper and Siden assist hook were covered with.....please do tell :)

10. awesum

awesum Senior Member

lure was O.t.I. Goanna Cruiser-Green Flyer with Siden assist covered with.........you know!

Steve .... I'm curious now. Did you have a lot of action with that particular popper or just the big 'un? The reason I ask is that I spent some time throwing that very popper (with trebles) and had no takers or lookers that I know of.

Bobby

11. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Another picture,,, that thing was a beast. Steve asked if i could help carry it, i was hoping he was talking to someone else, just kidding. Congrats on the big fish!!

Attached Files:

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Both of thsoe AJ's took gold $1000 and $200 first and second place.
    Kind od a funny reason I got into the Fiesta, my Friend Bellyup was ribbing me that I might catch a large hardhead or jackcrevale and win something. When I noticed it was the Lions club I was willing to waste my money as they do a lot of good.
    We hit the deep drop and I wanted a big grouper ( I don't like AJ's, they hurt) so I pinned on a 10 or 12 inch hardtail. It took about ten minutes and the rod tip quivered like a crappie tapping a minnow. Next thing was the rod bent and the line moved off, I just increased the drag a little past strike because it felt more like a shark to me. More drag was a mistake!:eek: That fish got pissed and took off, I went to full drag, and it kept going. I then tried adding some thumb pressure to the LRS Tigra, BIG mistake!:eek: :eek: The deckhand came to my side as it was obviously a big fish to clear rods and lines s needed, he even tried a thumb on the reel :D :D :D for a very short second:D After a dew trips back and forth around the stern, using low gear only, a few line wraps including a handline that had to go over my rod and myself the crew stuck a couple of gaffs in the fish and I got to see it.

13. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

After a dew trips back and forth around the stern, using low gear only, a few line wraps including a handline that had to go over my rod and myself the crew stuck a couple of gaffs in the fish and I got to see it.

Pics, please!

14. fathom

Jerry with 2nd. winning A.J.

Angelo with nice A.J. on jig.

Happy camper with first yellow fin (T.J. talk him into eating heart)

approach to Augur platform

Attached Files:

15. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I forgot he ate the heart! That was something.

DBG

16. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Those are some nice AJ's!! Way to go! Must have been brutes to fight!

17. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

There was no way I could have picked up the second AJ

18. sjohn464

sjohn464 Guest

Who all tried out the new 8'6" OTI popping rods? Just wondering how folks liked them compared to the 7'6" rods.

steve

19. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I just converted from conventional popping gear to a 7' 6" 50lb OTI with Shimano 8000 reel. Casts further than my conventional and never backlashes! I was a long-time hold out for the conventional, but now wish I had changed sooner.

I watched TJ use the 8'6" rod to launch poppers farther than anything I've ever seen thrown out! It was awesome! I should have tried it, but was still getting used to using spinning gear for the first time.

DBG

20. fathom

Feeder,

Rod was carpenter tn8' 7" with stella 20000 65lb. izor braid, 80lb. seguar floro leader .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.