Big E Question

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by etan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

On the trips when tuna were caught on yummy or frenzy flyers was there any time of night they worked best?

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the first hour or two were the best times on our trip, but you've really got to fish all night since the bite can happen at any given time.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

They also worked at daybreak.

d-a

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah we only had blackfin at daybreak but thats true. they were going nuts....but no yellowfin unfortunately.

5. etan

etan Senior Member

The reason I'm asking is I have a lot of techniques I want to try and I'd like to designate a certain time to use the yummies. Has their been any success on yellowfin with yummies this year. I could care less about catching blackfin.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The reason I'm asking is I have a lot of techniques I want to try and I'd like to designate a certain time to use the yummies. Has their been any success on yellowfin with yummies this year. I could care less about catching blackfin.

Etan

Theres gonna be a time during the night that the bite will slow down. That time is when they should work the best. Kind of chunk with them. I would have 2-3 rods rigged up and sitting on the Ice boxes ready to go at all times just for what ever you want to try.

d-a

7. etan

etan Senior Member

That is my plan. My problem is I always have so many things to try is I forget half of them. I always have a written plan of attack. Must be old habits of 25 years of basketball coaching!

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Never sleep and don't stop fishing.

9. jig

jig Senior Member

One of the guys that's been of a few trips I have been on changed the wings to a clear plastic. He did very well on them. Others all hit or miss. I have hooked up on them twice by fishing like a chunk on the backside. But people who can cast them to the blowup do better. I just have zero accuracy with those things.

10. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

. . . My problem is I always have so many things to try is I forget half of them. I always have a written plan of attack. . . .

Nate,
    You're in good company--"No plan of battle survives contact with the enemy" . . . (Colin Powell and many other notables before him)

What to do? Work off a checklist?

Jep

11. etan

etan Senior Member

you are right! I make a check list and try to check them off. I also list which rod for which technique. 15 different things I want to do so far. Sometimes I forget to look at the list if the action is good. I'm sitting at my daughter's house in D.C. so you can tell I'm bored.

12. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

just make sure you put a stinger hook on your flyers.

with the trips i have been on i have not seen a set time frame when they work best except for when the tuna are chasing live flyers. on my second trip i had a few hook ups with artificial flyers between 1 and 3 am. (the moon disapeared at 1 am).

I would either sight cast them at fleeing flyers, or cast them and very slowly reel them in, just enough to keep the slack out of the line.

13. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Here's my observation based on 8 YFT trips in the last 18 months:

When the bite is hot, YFT generally hit whatever you throw at them.

When the bite is cool but they're around, try different baits/lures but always pay attention to what is working for those few successful fishermen. Popper/sub-surface lures and their colors are important on slow nights. Watch and learn.

Live fliers almost always work if there's YFT around. Keep your eyes open for fliers and be ready with the net.

I've seen many use yummies or artificial fliers but have yet to see a YFT caught on one (BFT yes). Many folks on this board have success with them so they do work.

Tie good knots and be sure your drag is properly adjusted. My preference is fluorocarbon leaders.

Once you do hookup - Use Maximum Drag :D :D :D and get the fish in the boat!

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When I fished on the Big E, a guy next to me got a few hit on his small yummie and tuna followed it a few times though he didn't have solid hook-ups. He just cranked fast with it. I thought someone can master how to present yummie right, the lure can be deadly.

15. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

When I fished on the Big E, a guy next to me got a few hit on his small yummie and tuna followed it a few times though he didn't have solid hook-ups. He just cranked fast with it. I thought someone can master how to present yummie right, the lure can be deadly.

I didn't see the guy Kil refers to, but I have caught a lot of YFT and I've seen others catch a lot of YFT on Carolina Lures Yummies; and, I cannot recall having ever seen a YFT caught on belly hooks or the single hooks supplied with that lure. (I'm not saying the regular Yummies can't/don't work; I'm just saying they wouldn't be my first, second or third choice.) What I have seen work is the Yummy re-rigged with a 4/0 or 5/0 Owner 4X Stinger positioned to extend to the fork in the tail of the Yummy and held in place either by embedding one tine into the yummy and/or by using 1 or 2 little rubber bands of the size sold at Target and elsewhere to secure braided hair.

I notice, however, that the Carolina Lures Yummy is noticeably larger than the Gulf's summer season flying fish; and, this may mean the smaller Frenzy model is a better shot until the local flyers grow a bit.

16. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

I notice, however, that the Carolina Lures Yummy is noticeably larger than the Gulf's summer season flying fish; and, this may mean the smaller Frenzy model is a better shot until the local flyers grow a bit.[/QUOTE]

i was out at boomvang this past friday night and there were large flyers out and they were at least 8 inches long which is larger than the yummies. the larger flyers were productive on the yellowfins and the smaller live flyers ended up in the mouths of blackfin.....rick

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

bigger lure, bigger fish!

18. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

i was out at boomvang this past friday night and there were large flyers out and they were at least 8 inches long which is larger than the yummies. the larger flyers were productive on the yellowfins and the smaller live flyers ended up in the mouths of blackfin.....rick

I'll go with your later info and suppose it's a question of finding the larger flyers.

My take was based on the few and small flyers I saw 7/4 and 8/6--in neither case did I see many or large flyers; and, in neither case did large flyer lures perform well. I myself haven't used the Frenzy flyers yet--still got a stock of the others to use up. On 8/5-8/6, with few flyers and no large ones and no quality YFT, Carolina flyers were just casting practice.

19. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Frenzy Flyer now comes with a 4 x strong treble out of the tail.
    On earlier models I would add a 2 prong 4 x (AHAI) hook to the tail.
    These would be rigged through the body with a rigging needle.
    I have also had to rig them on board with just tape as in photo
    attached.

I've had them eaten from casting to busting fish to drifting them back into
    a drift with a retrive, pop and rest style.

I also had one bite on a trip that was void of top water action.
    And the other action had also slowed. I was taking a break about 2 am and
    noticed 1 lone gull crusing around low above the water folowing something.

I tossed the flyer in the photo under the gull and was suprised by an almost
    instant explosion. I never really caught up with that fish as it made 2 quick trips back and forth across the transom then headed under the boat right up the center. I could not clear the transom and props. Mr Bill caught a photo of the resulting effort to clear the line.

Attached Files:

20. etan

etan Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. My flyers are all rigged with the treble thru the body. I may extend the hook an inch with beads.