Big E OTI Report

Discussion in 'Underwater Expeditions Lounge' started by Underwater Expeditions, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underwater Expeditions

Underwater Expeditions Site Sponsor

60 YFT landed last night between 50-80lbs. A couple maybe in the 100's Raul said. Everyone was asleep this am as they headed out to bottom fish for the day.:)

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

nice....sounds like a successful trip already.

3. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Oh yea! that's great. The fishing gods were not smiling on me this year for sure when I had to cancel due to my wife getting crunched up in an accident. All is well now and hopefully next year will make up for it. They are going to have an exceptional trip I think.

4. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Glad to hear that the guys are having such a good trip. Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story".

5. Underwater Expeditions

Underwater Expeditions Site Sponsor

Total 80 yft, a wahoo and some nice marble groupers.

Evonn

6. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

Oh yea! that's great. The fishing gods were not smiling on me this year for sure when I had to cancel due to my wife getting crunched up in an accident. All is well now and hopefully next year will make up for it. They are going to have an exceptional trip I think.

sorry to hear that dude, hope yer wife is ok..... next year will be yer year! (I'm hoping mine too)

7. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Thanks Evonn.....sounds like another great trip!

Richard

8. WahooMaster08

WahooMaster08 Senior Member

Thats awesome, can't wait to get the story either.

9. red34

red34 Guest

Does anyone throw Wahoo Bomb type lures on these trips like the Cali guys do?

10. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

It was a great trip. An awesome group of anglers from all over the states. I'm worn out and fixin to hit the rack. A long ride but lots of tuna. Most of the bite was on shibukus and poppers but the chunk bite was pretty good too. Hats off to the OTI guys for getting this trip together.

Dale

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Dante just called. He had 8 yellowfin on poppers and one wahoo and Brian got 9 yellowfin on poppers. They were first time fishing in Gulf of Mexico, but NY guys did very well. :)
    He caught the wahoo with Shibuki which had a broken lip.
    Most guys look for Shibuki with lip, but I have been telling Shibuki without lip is as good.

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

shibuki had a broken lip and hole in it from the cuda that attacked it earlier. It was a sinking shibuki!

13. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

sidenote:

UE has some excellent deals on the trip this upcoming weekend 36hr and the 60hr on Dec. 4

14. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

It was a great trip. We started by meeting up at willie joes, had a few drinks and shot the sh**. Everybody was hyped up with anticipation from the great weather. we called it a night and met back up at the dock around 0500 to load up. I was suprised that there wasnt as many rods brought than i expected, lol. The plan was to make the 211 mile/10hr run to the redhawk spar. Here is a pic of the ride out
    [​IMG]

As soon as we arrived at the spar there was plenty of action on top. A couple of YFT were caught on lures from the start but then became obsolete. Chunks were to be the star of the show. many YFT were starting to hit the deck.
    anthony with a nice tuna
    [​IMG]

After a few hours the tuna started responding to lures. shibuki/brabus minnows became the lure of choice for many anglers. I reluctantly tied one on since i was in denial about the lack of a topwater bite. I soon hook up into a tuna that took everything i had and laughed in my face. the fish literally had me pinned down and wouldnt bugde. There were a few times where i thought my carpenter tn87 was goin to explode but it held up fine.
    [​IMG]

After about 40min(according to other people) i did the unthinkable and handed my rod off the doug. This was the last thing i wanted it to do but i absolutely had nothing left. the combination of miller lite and bud lite didnt help either. the fish ended up breaking off and swam off with my pride. thanks to steve for the coaching he gave me on this humbling experience.

Doug with his second YFT of the night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took a break and got back in the action. Shortly after, i hooked into 2 more YTF that both came in under 5 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my second tuna
    [​IMG]

the bite was insane and fish was hitting the deck at a fast rate all the way into to morning. 55 YFT's were harmed the 1st night! i managed to get a 30lb yft in the morning and saved him for some sashimi later in the day.

jim with his first yft of the trip
    [​IMG]

The next day we headed to the bottom fishing grounds. the bottom fishing was very slow and off.

later that evening we headed to the tuna grounds. We arrived at Gunnison which only produced a couple of blackfins. We ended leaving and proceeded to go to the Auger spar.
    Auger
    [​IMG]

Althought not as many tuna were boated here(only 27 lol), we still had many successful drifts. This night was slow for chunking but very productive with artificials.
    Standing in victory after a short battle
    http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9941/dscf2443.jpg
    my 4th tuna
    http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/259/dscf2448h.jpg

jim with his second tuna
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3442/dscf2452k.jpg

a very hungry tuna!
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7193/dscf2454b.jpg

my 5th tuna of the trip
    http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8465/dscf2461c.jpg

there always seems to be something weird happening in all of the trips i go on... the 1st night a tuna breaks off and circles the boat with 70-100 ft of yellow braid trailing behind. the second night another tuna breaks someone off and just circles the boat with some green braid trailin. the deck hands managed the grab the line and doug quickly spliced the lines and dewayne finished the fight on a rod n reel. i cant believe the tuna was that cooperative while the deckhand held the braid tightly
    http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7949/dscf2465.jpg

other interesting moment- chris was using an accurate sr30 and the handle stopped working while fighting a tuna, one of the deck hands began to hand line this fish. As he was pulling in line, chris was manually turning the spool by hand. you had to be there to fully appreciate the visuals.

the trip was a success, met many new anglers and got to fish with some partners in crime. good to see y'all again. The crew was top notch. these are only a few pics i took, hopefully many more will follow. especially the final catch photos. i ended up catching 6 yft and i was no where near the hot stick of the trip. well done guys!

15. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Wow. I cant wait to see the catch tomorrow in person.

Got a call from willy and message from dante, seems like they crushed it and the MVP was from the east coast ;)

16. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Awesome report guys and congrats on the kills!

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

big tuna went to kevin. dante got the largest nontuna category with that wahoo

18. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Danm Brian, you really slaughter them on this trip.

What kind of rod is that with the SR-30?

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Danm Brian, you really slaughter them on this trip.

What kind of rod is that with the SR-30?

It was a ripple fisher.

d-a

20. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

ripple fisher infinity brighten 7'6", this was the first time i used the rod and was very pleased. this might be the perfect rod(for me atleast)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.