BIG E Labor Day Weekend - 52 Hour

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by rtran, Jun 23, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Guys I plan to get on the Big E again for another 52hour. Moon phaze for this trip is slight to no moon - bite should be great. Just seeing if any of you guys are going so I can meet some new faces. If any of you guys that have been fishing around this time chime in, if this is a bad time to go I will cancel.

Rich

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Labor Day isn't a bad time to go, but I prefer late October-Early November.

The TBB 08 trip is the weekend after Labor Day, it's already full with a short waiting list of three people I think. That would be a heck of a trip to be on! Many of the people from the July 4th trip will be on it and it's a serious, top-notch crowd. Limited to 35 anglers btw.

Tom - DBG

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

im on the TBB trip........was thinking abt labor day but we'll see

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I didn't notice that TBB trip was posted. I will wait and see if anything opens up for that trip. If not I will try to get on this one.

5. DeepBlueGulf

6. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Hey Rich, I was thinking of going in October or November.

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I may be on the TBB trip. Is that the one where we may hire someone to cook all the meals?

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Hey Rich, I was thinking of going in October or November.

Send me some dates and I'll check em out. I got the itch already need to go ASAP.

9. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Go to texasfishingforum for details

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Grescobia,

I'm on that forum as well and just checked up. The TBB and Siete are booked full. I will just have to squeeze into another trip.

11. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Grescobia,

I'm on that forum as well and just checked up. The TBB and Siete are booked full. I will just have to squeeze into another trip.

There are usually last minute openings.

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

There are usually last minute openings.

I do not like to go last minute unless it's spur of moment.

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I will check later dates as some of my friends want to go at a later date. Thinking 1st or 2nd week of Nov before the Siete trip so we can catch all the tuna ha ha just kidding.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i'm on TBB and Seite......thinking of the July 4 trip now but we'll see. might be too many guys casting :)

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i'm on TBB and Seite......thinking of the July 4 trip now but we'll see. might be too many guys casting :)

That's what I'm worried about, I'm sure there are great fisherman aboard but I don't like it being too crowded. We had excellent space and room to fish on our recent trip.

I'm checking moon phazes right now to get the best date. TBB and Siete have pretty good moon phases. I would book the trip after the Siete trip but scared you guys will catch all the big boys. ha ha

16. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

From Aug to mid Oct our Gulf can have storms that will cancel trips.
    3 to 4 days prior to a trip can be the go -nogo time. If you are booking
    vacation or flights that can not be changed then this could be a problem.
    If you are flexible then this time of year is just a contiuation of summer patterns.
    From the better sea conditions of the last few weeks to Labor day
    Boom Vang and surounding floaters, platforms ect will have heavy pressure daily.
    The day of the Center console fleet stopping at 50 miles has changed!!
    The Go where no man goes plan has changed to Go when no man goes.
    When the seas go back to 4 to 6 avg and the Texas gun seasons are open then the Big
    E and other Gulf explorers (P-A boats) will be the platforms to chase Fall Tuna, Grouper,AJ, plus night time DoDo's.

In the fall and winter if the sea's are layed, getting an invite on a Sport fisher
    is the bonus plan for me. But having a trip booked on a quality head boat
    has a higher percentage rate of getting me out beyound the shelf.

Kev

Oh and I mean it in a nice way I thought this was classic.

"I do not like to go last minute unless it's spur of moment":)

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

From Aug to mid Oct our Gulf can have storms that will cancel trips.
    3 to 4 days prior to a trip can be the go -nogo time. If you are booking
    vacation or flights that can not be changed then this could be a problem.
    If you are flexible then this time of year is just a contiuation of summer patterns.
    From the better sea conditions of the last few weeks to Labor day
    Boom Vang and surounding floaters, platforms ect will have heavy pressure daily.
    The day of the Center console fleet stopping at 50 miles has changed!!
    The Go where no man goes plan has changed to Go when no man goes.
    When the seas go back to 4 to 6 avg and the Texas gun seasons are open then the Big
    E and other Gulf explorers (P-A boats) will be the platforms to chase Fall Tuna, Grouper,AJ, plus night time DoDo's.

In the fall and winter if the sea's are layed, getting an invite on a Sport fisher
    is the bonus plan for me. But having a trip booked on a quality head boat
    has a higher percentage rate of getting me out beyound the shelf.

Kev

Oh and I mean it in a nice way I thought this was classic.

"I do not like to go last minute unless it's spur of moment":)

When the bite is on, you got to go as soon as you can weather permitting. I am only pushing my dates back for my buddies that want to fish this boat with me. Although it will not stop me from getting on it myself. =) I am still thinking about going labor day weekend. I think all of us offshore fisherman know of how the weather can change at last minute for the best or worst. I just hope to get the best. :)

18. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

################################################Guys I plan to get on the Big E again for another 52hour. Moon phaze for this trip is slight to no moon - bite should be great. Just seeing if any of you guys are going so I can meet some new faces. If any of you guys that have been fishing around this time chime in, if this is a bad time to go I will cancel.
    ###################################################

Just saying......
    I might see you on it.... and would like to.
    But by labor day Boom Vang will have had the p!ss fished out of it.
    I've seen 34 boats trolling and drifiting it during a POCO turney.
    Your June trip was after a good 20 days that the fleet of 400 texas boats that want to fish these Spars could not get out regulary.
    I suggest waiting for the Gulf traffic and weather to settle.
    UE and Monte will have bottom spots to fish, but drifting the regular floaters???

Go out on labor day and expect to have Gonzo tuna that have not seen a plug, popper, chunck bait in the last week at Boom Vang is high hopes.

again it depends on your goals and where the trip winds up.

again my $.02
    K2

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

################################################Guys I plan to get on the Big E again for another 52hour. Moon phaze for this trip is slight to no moon - bite should be great. Just seeing if any of you guys are going so I can meet some new faces. If any of you guys that have been fishing around this time chime in, if this is a bad time to go I will cancel.
    ###################################################

Just saying......
    I might see you on it.... and would like to.
    But by labor day Boom Vang will have had the p!ss fished out of it.
    I've seen 34 boats trolling and drifiting it during a POCO turney.
    Your June trip was after a good 20 days that the fleet of 400 texas boats that want to fish these Spars could not get out regulary.
    I suggest waiting for the Gulf traffic and weather to settle.
    UE and Monte will have bottom spots to fish, but drifting the regular floaters???

Go out on labor day and expect to have Gonzo tuna that have not seen a plug, popper, chunck bait in the last week at Boom Vang is high hopes.

again it depends on your goals and where the trip winds up.

again my $.02
    K2

I appreciate your input, I will take into consideration. You are right who knows has been to the floaters between my last trip and now. Nansen and Boom vang are hot right now so everyone would and should of gone in this time frame. Time to stock up some some stuff and come firing later this year =)

20. DeepBlueGulf

The 52-hr trips I've been on with the Big E never went to Boomvang or Nance! We would hit Redhawk, Magnolia, Gunnison, wherever the good reports were. We never stayed in close.

DBG