Big E for sale

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Gunsmoke, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Anybody care to buy the Big E and all Elliott's other fishing boats. They are for sale. I don't blame the guy. Within one year we will probably only be able to put 1 yellowfin in a boat per trip.:eek: That's 1 fish, not 1 per person. Snapper limits also suck. Below is his statement. I don't know what will happen to all you people that have made deposits on future trips. If he is honest, he will return the money, but my guess is that the new owner will not.

Statement from Captain Elliott's Party Boats

First, I would like to thank everyone for all of their support and concern for our business. We have always strived to provide the best offshore fishing experience possible for our customers.

It is indeed true that we are in the process of liquidating our fishing business (commercial and recreational). All of our fishing vessels are currently for sale along with their permits. We feel that this process could take 2 years or longer and we will continue to do business as usual until the final boat is sold.

As many of you know, the NMFS is currently readjusting the TAC for red snapper which will reduce bag limits and possibly shorten the season even more. In the future, there will be more seasons set and bag limits reduced on other fish species that we target. We feel that the NMFS is ruining the gulf fishery and will cost many people their livelihood and other business will be forced out as well.

In addition to our fishing business, we have been in the crewboat business for 27 years, operating our vessels all along the gulf coast. After evaluating both businesses, we feel that concentrating our time and effort into the crewboat business is our best option.

What does this mean to our customers? We will reopen Captain Elliott's Party Boat office on February 1 and operate as usual. We will provide the same trips as we have in the recent past and continue to work to make our fishing trips as successful as they have always been. We will avoid selling any boats during the middle of the fishing season, but that may or may not be possible.

We have attended meetings and fought the federal government for years regarding the fishing regulations to no avail.
    The federal government seems determined to eliminate fishing in the Gulf and we will be able to take no more.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me (Casey Cundieff) at [email protected] or my sister Lari at [email protected]

Thank You

Casey Cundieff
    Lari Scott
    Elliott Cundieff

Captain Elliott's Party Boats, Inc.

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

They need to keep the tuna permit and we could charter the crew boats. Wide open spaces on the decks for sure. I am sorry to see the BIG E go. Good luck to you guys. I bet everyone will be okay. There is a lot of work in the gulf right now.

3. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

UNREAL.. Hopefully the texas reef project will get going and help us out a little near shore.
    What is going to happen when they do finally restrict the snapper fishing and lower the limit to just one tuna per boat? Looks like lots of fisherman will be without jobs and the economy in those areas that rely on fisherman and their extra income will suffer. Will Port A summers become slow like the winters? Will DD and DSH and other headboat operations be shut down too?
    What do you guys think is going to happen? I think this sucks. If they are so worried about over fishing, they should build more structure and give the fish more places to hide and for offspring to grow. Its sad that our coastal fishery could come to an end or very close!!!

4. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

gunsmoke,

where did you get this statement? elliots web site has no info on this.

I find it hard to belive he will give up commercial fishing.

his new snapper quota is like two 18,000 lb. permits.

FATHOM

5. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Fathom,

Casey posted that himself over on 2cool. It is completely true, their only marine business will eventually be crew boats.

6. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

So lets all pool our money and buy the Big E. Who's in?:)

In all seriousness, this is a really sad piece of news. I took my first ever offshore trip with Elliots and fished with them almost every year growing up. I just hope the process of selling takes several years like they say it will.

Brad

7. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Capt Gunsmoke's offshore charters... kinda has a ring to it... .... :) Skeet shooting on the way out off the stern...

8. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

When I was talking with Capt Tomeny about this type of thing, he stated there is a big demand for fishing boats (existing) set up similarly to the Big E and Caribbean Sea.

When and if these boats do sell, their set up is for fishing. I would expect the boats to continue to fish, but there is the chance they could be moved.

9. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

gunsmoke,

where did you get this statement? Elliot's web site has no info on this.

FATHOM

I've inquired with Casey about the price on the Big E. I think it's a pretty good deal for a boat of that size. Problem is where can you take it to make money. With the new snapper limits and the forecasted 1 tuna per boat it doesn't sound like a good investment. All the new restrictions being imposed on recreational fishermen are going to cause many to quit fishing. The Big E would have to be moved to San Diego, Mexico or Hawaii.

10. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

but there is the chance the Big E could be moved.

That's a 100% guarantee.

11. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I don't know much about this, but what are the chances of fishing Mexican waters from Freeport or Port A or Brownsville? Not sure what Mexican Gulf of Mexico limits are concerning the different Tunas and Snappers. Anyone have any ideas about Mexican fish limits and being able to bring fish back into US waters? They do it out of San Diego, but I figure things would probably be different here.

I'm waiting to hear if there is any word, or comments, from Deep Sea Headquarters or Dolphin Docks.

Tom - DBG

12. Pope

Pope Senior Member

It is five tuna a day on the Pacific side. I am not sure how they look at ground fish.

13. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I was gonna make a McGolfer/tackle-Ho joke, but it's too easy. J/K!
    How about that Mexican GOM stuff? can't be too hard, cause any boat in
    SoCal that can load up & make it is doing it. Mainly due to years of EXACTLY
    what we're starting to experience here. Overzealous appointees in the pocket
    of every treehugger & doomcrier they could find. back in the late '80's it started w/ the rockfish & "cowcod". then WSB, then entire sections cordoned off as "sanctuaries" (like the entire channel island chain was proposed at one time). virtually all the upper so. coast & middle coast sport outfits are gone now (that's right, virtually every one you can think of) the cold-water enterprises suffered the most due to lack of pelagics other than salmon/albacore, which sucked for nearly 15 years, comparatively.
    It's not all bad out there, though. There's a new group of guys chasing bonefish(that's right) in mission bay. the 'yak craze has really made apparent how many inshore big-fish opp's there are.
    I guess what my point is that adaptability is going to be the key to success
    whether on the business end or even the angler level. fisherman follow their quarry. period. any business that wants to profit from that will make it happen
    any SMART government that wants their cut/tax will make it happen.
    although I'm truly saddened by this & all the proposed new NMFS reg's
    As anglers we will persevere.
    -Brian

14. jig

jig Senior Member

I don't know what will happen to all you people that have made deposits on future trips. If he is honest, he will return the money, but my guess is that the new owner will not.

So, when is the question I have been wondering about gonna be answered (or even asked)? Not trying to be unsympathic to the situation, as I am truly devestated by this annoucement and what I think it means to my favorite sport. But the reality is that I currently have a few grand on deposit with a business venture that has stated its intent to liquidate in the near future. Not sure what to do about that, and not real comfortable even asking them. I will probably just hope they make the trips this year. :(

15. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

This just pisses me off. Quit quit quit.:mad:

Kevin

16. BIGFISH4YOU

BIGFISH4YOU Guest

THE IPHC TOOK AWAY ARE CREW FISH THIS YEAR AND ONLY ONE FISH IN JULY FOR CLIENTS....... WARNING

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I don't know what will happen to all you people that have made deposits on future trips. __________________

I paid in full for a trip around a year ago. I say my money is history. I guess I was never meant to go on the Big E. The trip got canceled and now I'm sure the re-schedule will never happen. That's the way it goes. The new tuna regulations that might go into effect this June really piss me off. I can sympathize with Capt Elliott's. It's out of his control. You can't make a living when 40 people try to split up one yellowfin.

The below picture tells my feelings on this and the weather lately.

Attached Files:

18. SkeeterRonnie

MrBill... not so fast... the boats going.. I already have the C-note frame planned, and will be "hand making" it. It will be better than any ol "store bought" junk. Guess when it happens one of us will be signing a 100 and giving it, and the frame to the winner.... lol.
    BTW~ how bad do spadefish taste??? all of us might be toting back coolers of them insteasd.. YUCK!!! I would rather sit in the bay and have a cooler of specks and reds
    Our trips in May... least it will be one for the record books if the regs go thru- betcha we come in with a boat limit....

19. SkeeterRonnie

MrBill... not so fast... the boats going.. I already have the C-note frame planned, and will be "hand making" it. It will be better than any ol "store bought" junk. Guess when it happens one of us will be signing a 100 and giving it, and the frame to the winner.... lol.
    BTW~ how bad do spadefish taste??? all of us might be toting back coolers of them insteasd.. YUCK!!! I would rather sit in the bay and have a cooler of specks and reds!

20. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I paid in full for a trip around a year ago. I say my money is history.

Why do you say that? Is there a limit on disputes for credit card purchases in this type of situation?

21. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Has anyone seen a nat marine fisheries statement about this forcasted one tuna per vessel? I am curious about the allocations commercial verse recreational.

NMFS IS TRYING TO PLAY CATCHUP FOR DECADES OF MISMANAGEMENT OF THE GULF FISHERIES.

CAPT. ELLIOTS HAS 3 18,000LB. SNAPPER PERMITS (COMMERCIAL)

THIS DOESN,T COUNT HIS PARTY BOATS. iF YOU LOOK AT THE TOTAL ALLOCATION YOU SEE WHO HAS BEEN GETTING THE LIONS SHARE.

IT'S IRONIC THAT THEIR BAILING OUT!

FATHOM

22. jig

jig Senior Member

MrBill, I feel the pain and then some. I have FOUR Big E trips paid in full scheduled this year. That's a lot of jack. I hate to see the situation, as I said, but if this does not pan out well, the reality of potentially losing payments for 4 trips is not going to be unfelt. Not to mention, I have paid-in-full overnight trips with other partyboat operators in Texas as well. God I hope this does not steamroll into them closing up shop as well.

23. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Guys, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about not getting refunds. If the boats are sold, there would be money to pay back the people that have paid in full. That's my thinking anyway.

We'll know more on Feb 1st when Elliott's opens and we'll see what they say.

Sometimes people take action just to posture themselves, or to make a statement... if all the party boat operations on the Gulf Coast start talking about selling... then maybe there would be enough ruckus to prevent some changes. Heck, it doesn't stop at Party Boats... how many charter boats will have to stop operating because they can't keep enough Blackfin or Snappers to make a trip cost effective for tourists. And what will all the condo owners in Port A think when they hear that they can't tout offshore fishing as a reason to come down and spend a weekend anymore.

DBG