Big-E Feb.1 - Feb.3 52-hour Trip

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by tunacrazy, Dec 28, 2007.

1. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

Just signed up for this trip and just wondering if anybody has done a trip at this time of year and what a guy might expect the fishing to be like. I have done a couple of overnight trips out of La. in the summer and fall of the year but haven't done any trips in the winter months. Thanks, Bruce

2. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

If the moon is right fishing should be O.K. How many are signed up?

3. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

I think at the time that Mike, Bob and I signed up it was around 10 or so. I'm hoping that everybody is ready to get out and get their lines strecthed. I know that sick of being cooped up and need to go fishing. New Moon feb.6

4. jig

jig Senior Member

I'm on this trip.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how is wahoo fishing down there at that time? I'm leaning towards a lump trip because I want a mix of wahoo and tuna, but if they get them on the Big E then I'll go there.

6. gman

gman Senior Member

how is wahoo fishing down there at that time? I'm leaning towards a lump trip because I want a mix of wahoo and tuna, but if they get them on the Big E then I'll go there.

you cant beat the lump for tuna and wahoo in february

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you cant beat the lump for tuna and wahoo in february
    thanks, gman........looks like i'll have to get something organized then. problem is i dont know 5 other guys who will definitely go.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

i would be in depending on the dates and i would suggest keeping the boat to 4 people. Less crowd more action. if its on a weekend i would probably take 2 spots

9. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

Last report was the wahoo have arrived at the lump. One report had a Wahoo just jump into the boat.

10. capn_billl

capn_billl Junior member

Where is the Lump??

11. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I don't have the numbers but I'm pretty sure they're easy to get. It's part of the Sackett Bank. The Lump is a salt dome that's top rises to about 200 feet deep. In Jan or Feb if you drive to the end of the world Louisiana, Venice, and launch early on the weekend, you'd just have to follow the crowd to the Lump. In the middle of Lump season there might be 75 to 100 boats anchored on top of the lump. I've been told that the top is 5/8 or 3/4 mile across. It's a parking lot with everybody chunking.
    The draw is that there is no better place in the US Gulf to catch a big YF or big wahoo. It's fishing though and the Lump can go cold on days. When it's on, you'll get worn out catching fish and possibly a really big fish. Last year in Jan was on a boat w 2 others and had a good day. 3 wahoo, 70, 70, 95, limit of AJ to about 60 lbs, and one 80 YF. Went in early. I'll be there this Friday and Saturday for annual trip. Might make it back later in the season.

Fred

12. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Attached Files: