Big E Charter Short on People TUNA!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by SpecialK, Mar 3, 2008.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

too early for me to make a call....at first glance I'd be interested.

Though - when has fuel been under $3.20/gallon? Diesel I got last week was 3.45....

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I think when they buy it in bulk it is a little cheaper. Plus they are not paying the highway tax upfront... Thats a little chunk in itself.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

way too far away to book

5. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'm gonna send Willie a check in the morning for a couple of slots. This is THE best time of the year for YFT. If they've got to buy diesel at $1 more per gallon it'll come out to less than $100 per fisherman.
    If you wait till Oct to look for tuna trips, they'll be harder to find. Get em while they're easy to plan for.
    Oh, and by the way, the Big E 52 hour that went out last weekend got YF skunked. Louis (Gigabite) went and said one YF about 20 lbs was caught. It's getting late in the TX winter season. It'll get better later.

Fred

6. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Good point Fred!

We need to remember that if we want these types of charter offers to stay around, we need to support them!

To plan and execute one of these, involves a huge administrative effort to secure a date, a vessel and sign up anglers and handle the deposits, payment plans, final payments, float plan, and communication of all this. We also need time to contact Mfrs and Dealers to begin trip sponsorships on the longer trips in order to distinguish them from open and shorter trips.

Unless you're okay with taking your chances on an open trip (if the trip is available, type of crew, where/what/how you fish etc.), then we need to begin making long-term trip planning part of our trip process each year.

That also means getting the word out to those you know (who don't frequent fishing forums too often), especially those from other parts of the U.S. or international locations.

The boats all have varying requirements, but they all want a certain level of commitment in order to block out a boat's availability. The long-term planning also helps the CharterMaster work with those that need or want a payment plan to finalize the costs.

If we want these charters and longer, more exploratory trips, we need to plan to and commit ASAP so the effort to make them happen will continue.

As more and more of these trips successfully happen, they'll draw more interest and more possible anglers, but also the boat owners will more confidently deal with the CharterMasters that they have a makeable trip.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

well put Ragman.
    your going to grace us with your presence right :)

8. TOO

TOO Senior member

Well, as a rule we do not go on the boards to post charters unless those that have hired us tell us to do so, but since SpecialK has posted, I'll try to add a few bits of information.
    This private charter at 39 people will cost $667 a person, a open charter spot cost $650 with no idea of who will be fishing next to you or how they'll work with you if action is needed.
    So far, this group from the TFF is made up of mostly somewhat to very experienced fishermen with couple of sophomore long range tuna fishermen (radicus, SpecialK,SpecialK senior, etc)
    The TFF Tuna trips have been going on since 2001 starting as a 12 hour run and gun BFT trip, moving to a 24 hour the next year and then to the current48/52 hour trips.
    All of these TFF Tuna charters have had one thing in common, teamwork; they fish with the goal of helping others out. There has never been a TFF Tuna trip that had any problem with folks needing assistance, help, recommendations, suggestions, etc.
    The TFF group's on these charters as well as all of T.O.O.'s organized long charters are put on a group email that keeps everyone on the same page on what is expected, might happen, philosophy of the fishing charter, etc. That helps a whole lot when out there fishing and you need to move due to an angler coming down the rail, you get a tangle, etc. Everyone is one the same page and willing to help each other out. It makes a charter that more pleasant.
    The TFF folks may not have the total long range experience that other forums have, but the friendliness and teamwork is second to none, anywhere.
    Quatro Tuna folks might remember Galveston1602 having a cold stick on that charter, at the end of the trip everyone was pulling for him to hook up so he could fight a Y-fin as he was one of the few that hadn't hooked up. He hooked up at the very last moment and everybody was fired up for him. He broke off a bit later, unfortunately, and the boat had to head in, but everyone was frustrated for him for not catching a Y-fin. That is what makes up the TFF Tuna trips as well as the TBB trips.

Bottom line, as Gimmedeal said, come November this charter time period will be in demand. I'd say there is a 99% chance if an angler sends in his deposit and has to pull out before the trip, that they will be able to sell their spot at cost. That's assuming they let folks know that they need to sell within a reasonable time before the charter departs.
    Putting down $250 to reserve a spot knowing you have a 99% chance it would be bought if you have to sell is smart planning in our opinion. We had 5 spot changes on Sies Tuna the last two weeks before the trip and filled all spots, and have done the same on other long range trips, so we have experience dealing with folks selling spots.

Can't make it any clearer, the TFF trips are made up of folks that are great to fish with, you'll have margarita's while on board and you'll know what the game plan is and everyone will be working together. A great charter for a great price.
    BTW, just got a call from a very, very well known fishermen that is sending in a deposit for a spot just to make sure if he can make the trip he'd be on board. That's confidence that he'll get his spot sold if his other plans do come through and he has to pull out.
    If interested call us at (210)215-3877 or email us at : [email protected]

9. jureal

jureal Senior Member

How is the weather window in November? I need to fly in from CA and I was thinking of an Oct trip. Already have the airfare paid from the cancellation of the Dec trip last year. The tickets expires in Dec 2008 so need to use it before. Hate to lose the airfare if this gets cancelled due to weather.... and I do know that you cannot predict weather but need to know the odds. Thanks.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am somewhat surprised the trip is not booked yet as mid November is the prime time and you can fish with good groups.
    I could not decide as I am on the waiting list of Wahoodad's 10 day trip out of San Diego in mid November to fish cow on jigs and poppers.
    But I sent a deposit to T.O.O just in case I can not join the Wahoodad trip and I hate to see this kind of fishing trip is canceled due to deposit requirements.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ok ok im in. its a ways out, but i plan on going regularly this time of year anyway, so why not. TOO - i'll email you shortly.

12. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Jureal,
    The November weather window is usually pretty good. The winter weather pattern hasn't typically set in and Oct and Nov into Dec are normally the best of times for these trips. It's real hard to predict weather and fish patterns(look at Venice's Lump performance this year), but again, this is prime time in the Gulf.

Fred

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ok ok im in. its a ways out, but i plan on going regularly this time of year anyway, so why not. TOO - i'll email you shortly.
    Bret, you made a good decision. You can sell your spot easily if you can not make the trip and you don't have to cancel your flight as you live in Texas. :)

14. TOO

TOO Senior member

Mel, the weather is a bit hit or miss in November, but a lot better than in December. We have options on dates if folks want to adjust, but it is a lot easier to adjust as a paid customer than to continue to ask for changes with out any commitment to them.
    We have a earlier date for TBB 08 reserved on the Big E, but that charter seems to be falling through due to reasons unknown to us. We've been fortunate to have U.E. allow us to offer TBB 08 at a reduced cost, lower than TBB 07 and have found interest to be lacking for some reason.
    Mel, can you email me at [email protected], the email I have of yours comes back as "undeliverable" I need some input from you on a few things

15. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Ok, thanks for the answers. Looks like the timing may be ok for me. A bit close to turkey day but do-able. I'll send in a deposit. Look for my email.

16. gman

gman Senior Member

Im in plus 1 for Anthony. I will send out deposit

17. TOO

TOO Senior member

Gman, got your email regarding you and Anthony taking two spots on Seite Tuna and replied to it. Same with you Bret and jureal. Welcome aboard the TFF Seite Tuna charter folks.

18. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Count me in Willie.

Scott aka Fins aka Bellyup

19. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I signed up on the TFF board! Will be a great trip!

Tom - DBG

20. gman

gman Senior Member

should be another allstar cast, hopefully this time is sails

Lets get a roll call on who is attending seeing as Im bored and its damn winter up here so far I know

1.Gman (Glenn)
    2.Gmanjr (Anthony)
    3.Bretabaker (Bret)
    4.Kilsong (Kil)
    5.DeepBlue (Tom)
    6.Bellyups (Scott)
    7.Jureal (Mel)
    8.SpecialK
    9.Gimmedeal (Fred)