Big E and Capt. John...Difference?

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by red34, Aug 8, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

What would you guys say the difference is between the Big E and Capt. John long range trips, as well as the boats themselves? I noticed a pretty large price difference on their websites and was wondering why.

I was looking at the 50 – 52 hour trips.

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Night and day

3. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

No bunks...on C John....just a bench

No casting room for throwing tops

No live well for you bait

You have to eat what they sell on the C John....as they dont let you bring your own food

Your catch gets to hang for an hour in the sun on the way in and while they call your number....

4. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Big money vs. little money. You will get what you pay for. But I think it depends what you want to catch or eat. I actually like Captain John trips as much as the Big E trips. With Capt. John trip you will be brining back a load of snappers, not many YFT if at all, and sometime all the BFT you can catch. I personally like to eat more snappers than tuna and the taste of YFT and BFT is no different. If you want to catch YFT, trophy grouper, be comfortable, and spent more $$$ then take the Big E trip. For the price, Capt. John trip is worth the money and also fun. Two different kinds of trip and you can't go wrong with either one.

An

5. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Accomodations: The Big E has nicer accomodations (has showers, tvs, bunks, a grill) and generally is a nicer boat.

Crew: Both crews are great and know what they're doing although in my experience the Big E has the tuna drift down a little better.

Food: As mentioned before the Capt John requires you to buy their own food which is ok and fairly cheap, but if you have special dietary needs then it's not a good option.

Gear/Rodholders: Both have ample room for rods and gear and allow rod holders. No coolers are allowed on the Capt John though.

Bottom Fishing: About even although the Big E has live wells which sometimes makes a difference if the fish are finicky.

Tuna Fishing: Big E hands down. Especially if you're wanting to throw topwaters.

Fish Handling: Both have good ice boxes, but the Capt John guts all tuna to keep the meat fresh. This however is completely negated when they take your fish out and string them up under the top rail in the path of the sun when you're way outside the jetties. They need to put the stringers back in the ice boxes.

The best way to find what you like is to try both of them if you can.

6. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

It is not even fair to put them in the same sentence. JV ain't close.

Big E would be like the NFL and the Capt John is like pop warner, well maybe jr high. I have been on both. Then again, I have only been on a private charter on both boats. The John was a fun trip, but you just cannot compare it to the "E"

7. red34

red34 Guest

I’ve read through the fishing reports on both. Capt John seems to be mostly diamond/butterfly jigging or bottom fishing w/ dead bait. Big E seems to cater to the top-water throwing guys and has the capability of live bait.

How is the live bait done? Will they go out with full tanks or do yall stop to make bait and fill the tanks yourself?

Do you guys simply set up and drift near a rig or is there chumming with shrimp boat cull like on the 12-hr trips?

Last question based on $$ value and fish caught:

50 hr Tuna Safari on Capt. John for $500 vs. 30 hr Big E for $450

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I’ve read through the fishing reports on both. Capt John seems to be mostly diamond/butterfly jigging or bottom fishing w/ dead bait. Big E seems to cater to the top-water throwing guys and has the capability of live bait.

How is the live bait done? Will they go out with full tanks or do yall stop to make bait and fill the tanks yourself?

Do you guys simply set up and drift near a rig or is there chumming with shrimp boat cull like on the 12-hr trips?

Last question based on $$ value and fish caught:

50 hr Tuna Safari on Capt. John for $500 vs. 30 hr Big E for $450

Red

the big E had live pinfish and piggy perch in the tanks before we left the docks. We made a bait stop but that dindt work out. On the way to the tuna grounds we stopped to bottom fish, there we caught bait as well as jigging some at the rigs.

d-a