Big E 11/13 - 11/15 Rules/Regs/Pool, etc

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by BretABaker, Oct 28, 2009.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Anyone want a pool on the Big E? My feeling is at least a $20 biggest tuna, $20 biggest grouper. With 40 guys if everyone pays its $800 per fish. Not bad, just abt pays for the trip. i'm open to others and different amounts but we need a pool.

ALSO
    Anyone have any unwritten rules they want? I'd like to ask that people go easy with the tackle they bring since there is a bit less deck space up top i hear. I doubt I'll use more than 3-4 rods this whole trip. Anyway....wanted to start a new thread for any other things people are thinking about.

2. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I am in for a pool

with my luck I'll get the biggest snapper or shark

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

...there is a grill on board :)

4. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Deck hands should get a cut or share; any green horns, half-share, just like on The Deadlist Catch.

By the way BretABaker, can you talk to the capt. about playing Bon Jovi's dead or alive over the PA system when the fishing gets hot?

5. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

The winning Yellowfin must be one of the first (3) YFT of the individual limit? No culling or giving away? or just the biggest YFT or Bluefin? I know that the Bluefin are extremely rare, but it has happened before in GOM.

Let's have a second place for 1/4 share or something
    just suggestions

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

its what everyone wants. i dont really care i just want a pool.

7. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if people wanna split it however then thats cool..........i just think we should get one going. on top of the free OTI rod itd be a good contest :)

I'm trying to get a seesaw rather than a scale. i dont want people whining abt ozs.

9. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

anyone have any pics of the changes they made to the ride? Im curious how it affected things

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

from what it seems the top deck is smaller which is good in the sense that its probably easier to cast in the back...but cuts down on storage. someone also mentioned the galley takes up a couple bench spots. someone who has been on this year can confirm, but im just afraid we'll be falling over each others gear which leads to busted rods!

11. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I've been on it twice this year, the changes are minimal

top deck is only used for coolers and holding extra rods
    ; plenty of space in my opinion

Milk crates not needed as you can only fish 1 rod at a time;
    most people just lean their 2nd rod against the tank or
    lay on top of the ice bins

12. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

Speaking of the galley, what is the food situation this trip. Will they be selling, or bring your own??? I haven't been on the Big E in over a year. BTW, I'm good for the pools

d

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Here is the note from UE regarding the galley:

Customers do not have access to the galley or to the stove. They fire up the grill at night and they are welcome to bring meat to put on it. There is a customer-designated refrigerator that they can use. There is a microwave for their use as well as a coffee pot. The last time I checked there was plenty of coffee, cream and sugar.

14. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

ok- i missed the microwave part.

15. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I've been on it twice this year, the changes are minimal

top deck is only used for coolers and holding extra rods
    ; plenty of space in my opinion

Milk crates not needed as you can only fish 1 rod at a time;
    most people just lean their 2nd rod against the tank or
    lay on top of the ice bins

San I had all but three of my and my wifes rods under my bunk because of no room up top and I had one crate on the boat and no room for another because of no place to strap it down and we only had 26 or so fisherman on the boat.
    I have a feeling that with 40 fisherman it may be tight, there may be 40 coolers instead of 20 or so up top and with 26 or so fisherman all of the rod holder were taken before we got on board.

I do know that you can lay your rods down or lean them on something but some people will not treat your $1500 rod and reel with the same respect that you do when they move it out of the way.

I'm not displeased just saying room may be at a premium so be ready.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

keep in mind we'll have rods for people to use as well. Alutecnos is sending me some of the reels today, I think we're getting 6-8 from them, i'll put up more details when they get here.

in reality do you need more than 1 jigging rod for this trip? more than 1 popping rod? more than 1 chunking/bottom drop rod? i know everyone wants to use all the gear, but i just dont want to see someones swimbait rod get busted because its in a pile on the top deck. plus....the more time you spend playing with tackle and changing out lures, the less time the lure is in the water.

17. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'm in for the pool, it sounds reasonable. I'd even be in for a little unreasonable side bets. Rod holders will be at a premium though but I'm sure with a little innovation and care rod casualties can be kept to a minimum. We had a full load on the July 2 trip and these issues are manageable. I'm planning on bringing 4 rods, 8 or 10 rod holders and minimal tackle. I used to bring 80 or 100 lbs of tackle for these things but I remember Kil getting on one with tackle you could put in a shoebox and catching more YF than anybody. Travelling on airlines to go fishing made me realize just how little tackle you really need. Ice goes a lot longer in November than July so the huge ice chests aren't really needed either. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Fred

18. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Rod holders will be at a premium though but I'm sure with a little innovation and care rod casualties can be kept to a minimum.
    Fred
    fred, i promise to not hit your rod with my lure this time. LOL!

i got 80 short ribs korean style for this trip! someone else can grill em up. any volunteers?

19. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

San I had all but three of my and my wifes rods under my bunk because of no room up top and I had one crate on the boat and no room for another because of no place to strap it down and we only had 26 or so fisherman on the boat.
    I have a feeling that with 40 fisherman it may be tight, there may be 40 coolers instead of 20 or so up top and with 26 or so fisherman all of the rod holder were taken before we got on board.

I do know that you can lay your rods down or lean them on something but some people will not treat your $1500 rod and reel with the same respect that you do when they move it out of the way.

I'm not displeased just saying room may be at a premium so be ready.

You should have said something to me; I would have
    moved my rods out of the way for you; I end up using
    only 2 rods ( brought 4 )

I do plan on bringing rod socks and a big rod bag, leave
    2 rods in the socks/bag and just strap that to the rail
    on top deck. Will probably bring 2 jigging and 2 popping;
    4 shibukis and 10 jigs

send me pics that you and your wife taken on the trip;
    I like to have pics of the broken rod as well. I am putting
    together a Big E Tuna trip video with music

[email protected]

20. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I wonder if the Big E would be willing to weld a few more rod holders right to the old deck frame like this

View attachment 9144

Attached Files:

• ROD.JPG
      ROD.JPG
      File size:
      66.5 KB
      Views: