BHP Fluorocarbon Break Test Data

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Basil, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Here's the first round of break test data using the Com-Ten 95FS. I will be publishing data for a wider range of line products in the future, including mono and braid. One interesting result to note, and one I have always stated from pulling on all of these different fluorocarbon lines on my bench: Seaguar has the most stretch. In fact, in two examples below the machine never broke it as the line stretched to the maximum travel of the 95FS.

090lb Momoi fluoro 1.05mm 110.7lb
    090lb Seaguar fluoro 1.05mm 103.2lb

100lb Blackwater fluoro 1.07mm 121.7lb
    100lb Seaguar Premiere fluoro .91mm 109.0lb machine limit stretch; no break
    100lb Yo-Zuri Pink fluoro .979mm 105.7lb

130lb Momoi fluoro 1.11mm 136.7lb
    130lb Blackwater fluoro 1.20mm 168.2lb
    130lb Seaguar fluoro 1.28mm 099.2lb machine limit stretch; no break
    130lb Seaguar Premiere fluoro 1.05mm 136.0lb
    130lb Yo-Zuri Pink fluoro 1.22mm 128.5lb

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle

2. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Wannabe Tuna Fisherman

Interesting results. I remember a similar test done by other professionals that found the seaguar (regular) was the most consistent of the major fluoros. And that it stretched more than the others. It was also the most abrasion resistant. Good to know I don't need to change anything in that department from what I have always used.
    Can't wait to see your spectra test results.

3. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

IMO,
    It has the best color (or lack thereof) also. Some the flouros have a whitish look to them and I think you better off with fresh mono over those.

4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

IMO,
    It has the best color (or lack thereof) also. Some the flouros have a whitish look to them and I think you better off with fresh mono over those.

What line looks like OUT of the water can be completely different than what line looks like IN the water. There's a lot more to it that I believe has been discussed on here before.

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Here's the first round of break test data using the Com-Ten 95FS. I will be publishing data for a wider range of line products in the future, including mono and braid. One interesting result to note, and one I have always stated from pulling on all of these different fluorocarbon lines on my bench: Seaguar has the most stretch. In fact, in two examples below the machine never broke it as the line stretched to the maximum travel of the 95FS.

090lb Momoi fluoro 1.05mm 110.7lb
    090lb Seaguar fluoro 1.05mm 103.2lb

100lb Blackwater fluoro 1.07mm 121.7lb
    100lb Seaguar Premiere fluoro .91mm 109.0lb machine limit stretch; no break
    100lb Yo-Zuri Pink fluoro .979mm 105.7lb

130lb Momoi fluoro 1.11mm 136.7lb
    130lb Blackwater fluoro 1.20mm 168.2lb
    130lb Seaguar fluoro 1.28mm 099.2lb machine limit stretch; no break
    130lb Seaguar Premiere fluoro 1.05mm 136.0lb
    130lb Yo-Zuri Pink fluoro 1.22mm 128.5lb

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle

Great data for all of us. I believe that it is critical to know the ABS (actual breaking strength) of the lines that we use. I look forward to further data on other lines.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Thank you for these test.

Couple of questions for you.
    How much did the two Seaguar's stretch before they reached the limit of the machine. I noticed on the specs of the Com-Ten 95FS has a 20" travel distance. I assume that you used up at least 15" of that space before you did your test.

In your opinion, what percentage did most of lines stretch before breaking?
    Example. The line was 15" after you set the test up. It broke at 18". Therefore, it had a 20% stretch before breaking.

7. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

neat stuff here. i use 8# seaguar in the freshwater stuff, and have pulled up christmas trees/brush piles with it- and have broken a few lightwire hooks in half by handlining the snag... its the only fluoro i trust

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

What line looks like OUT of the water can be completely different than what line looks like IN the water. There's a lot more to it that I believe has been discussed on here before.

I did my own IN water testing in the bath tub with 6 different brands one day back in the spring. Seagar was the most transparent out of the brands I had. I tried to photograph it, but couldn't get a good picture, so never bothered to post it.

9. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I did my own IN water testing in the bath tub with 6 different brands one day back in the spring. Seagar was the most transparent out of the brands I had. I tried to photograph it, but couldn't get a good picture, so never bothered to post it.

the thing is freshwater in bathtub isn't gonna give you any real information what to expect on an mostly cloudy day with a 3-5' choppy sea and the sun is hitting the water at a 45 degree angle and your line is 35 feet down at a 10 degree angle from the boat yada yada yada...conditions are always different and there isn't going to be any one line that will always be best suited for all conditions. there are simply too many variables to consider.

experiment each time until you see whats working and then stick with it!

10. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Great information Basil. Would love to see the same info. on braid. You have spooled two of my reels with JB hollow 60# but the breaking strength was about 100#'s. That good info was the reason I went to 60# as opposed to 80#.

11. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Wannabe Tuna Fisherman

Something else I would love to see is the breaking strength when there is a smal nick, let's say one strand is frayed. I wonder how much strength is lost? Not too scientific unless you can accurately fray one strand, but ballpark, what happens to line strength when the line has been used for a little while.