BH Cape Cod Special Nano 76N, 80N, & 86N?

Discussion in 'Kilsong's Jigging World' started by RevPDP, Aug 11, 2017.

1. RevPDP

RevPDP Member

Hello Kil.
    I have an 80N that I really like. How different is the 80N from a 76N? Would you consider it lighter? Stronger? Do these 3 rods use the same exact blanks, then cut down to size? Are they cut from both ends or mainly from the butt section? I'm looking for a blank that is lighter than my 80N but that can handle PE5 (50#) and cast poppers and stickballs no bigger than 120g.

2. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Rev I have a BHCCS80N and that is one of my big dog lure rods. I have used reels with #50 threadlock on it but for me the optimum setup is Stella 20K spooled with JBHC #80 metred but to get a little extra distance casting I took off 100 yards of the metered HC and spliced on 100 yards of JBHC white, a much more limp and castable HC than the metered. This combo will launch a 4 1/4 oz lure no problem.

I can relate to your questions, I drive myself to distraction trying to find a rod that I like that gives me the casting distance I'm wanting with the lures I want to use. No such thing as one rod that will do it all but more like rod "X" for throwing poppers 22g - 43g, rod etc. Unfortunately we don't have a resource that breaks it all down for us making shopping for them a more exacting experience.

If you put price ahead of what you want the rod to do, you most likely will end up disappointed most of the time. I'm sure that there are exceptions to this and I'm still looking. I have two old Terez rods that have caught more YFT that the rest of my popping rods combined. I mounted Saragosa 18K F reels on them for my loaners and some of my fishing buddies really like them.

I guess what the deciding factors are is how particular are you for what you want and how much are you willing to spend. I think that the tackle shops that actually test out the gear they sell could make our lives easier if the rod specifications included the optimum set up with reel and line as well as the real "sweet spot" as far as lure weight is.

RevPDP likes this.

3. RevPDP

RevPDP Member

Hello Kim. You've described my problem to a "t'. lol. I'm too anal retentive and picking the right equipment drives me batty. I thought I could get away with 2 popping rods, but now I think I may need 4. A light, medium, MH, and H. lol.

4. John Cassius

John Cassius Member

You might "want" to buy a plain ticket to NY and visit Jignpop.
    Certainly , it will save you time and $ , if you are so anal about your popping rods.

I think , a fishing forum might not have all the information you ask for every single rod on your wishlist .

RevPDP, cchris and wadefisherman like this.
  5. cchris

cchris Senior Member

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and buy the rod you think will work for you. Even If the members would know every single rod it's very much about personal preference. What I like you might not and so on

RevPDP likes this.
  6. RevPDP

RevPDP Member

Haven't ruled that out JC. I have family up there and might have to pay to them a visit and drop by JigNPop again... and might as well visit Saltywater Tackle...
    ...and TackleDirect. Hehe

7. John Cassius

John Cassius Member

That dice roll might cost ya a fortune LOL

8. cchris

cchris Senior Member

Not a fortune but popping was never a cheap affair, I actually think it got cheaper than 6-7 years ago because there are more vendors, more used stuff on the market.

9. vincente

vincente New Member

Dude I just spent over 2k for 4 rods. I did not like any of them after I received.....

10. cchris

cchris Senior Member

First mistake...you make a custom after you fish a rod that you like very much and you want to have another one as a back up or want to try a different guide configuration, change the guides, custom wrapping etc...you don't make a custom after hear say ( told you as fishermen we are very subjective to what we like)

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Actionwise, there is little difference. When they make 7'6", 8' and 8'6", they make a little stronger for longer rods to compensate the length. You still use the same reel and line for 7'6" rod as you use the 8' rod.

12. John Cassius

John Cassius Member

Can you elaborate on those statements ? Very confusing.

13. cchris

cchris Senior Member

Sorry if I sounded confusing, basically don't spend a lot if money on a custom until you are certain you really like that rod. If you just want to try something out , put an add and try to get a gently used one/used in good condition for less money. If you don't like it and want to sell it you don't loose too much