BFT?

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by wakerider1424, Mar 2, 2008.

1. wakerider1424

wakerider1424 Junior member

I got a big question. We are getting the boat ready for our up coming East Breaks trips during the summer, and next weekend weather depending we are taking our boat 40-50 miles outta Matty. I was wondering what exactly to expect. The water should be from 180 to 220 feet. We were guessing AJ's, Groupers, Makos, and Wahoo but is there going to be tuna cuz that is what we are really looking for. And if so where should we fish for them? Rigs, Wrecks, Rocks, or anywhere? We got some good numbers out there. I need to know as much as possible by next weekend so PLEASE PLEASE any info is awesome! And also trolling live, lures, or chunking, or jigging? Thanks so much guys.

- Garrett

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I am not an East Breaks expert. However, I think the likelihood of tuna is marginal. If you happen to find a weedline I would shut down and start a chum line. A very organized and consistent one at that. Shrimpers, if there is any in the area, will hold tuna sometimes. Always investigate them when you happen to find them in deep water.

Considering how close you will be to falcon, I would try that. Jig around the rig at night and chunk. That should be the best bet for getting BFT in that particular neck of the woods.

3. wakerider1424

I am not an East Breaks expert. However, I think the likelihood of tuna is marginal. If you happen to find a weedline I would shut down and start a chum line. A very organized and consistent one at that. Shrimpers, if there is any in the area, will hold tuna sometimes. Always investigate them when you happen to find them in deep water.

Considering how close you will be to falcon, I would try that. Jig around the rig at night and chunk. That should be the best bet for getting BFT in that particular neck of the woods.
    Alright, thanks man. We had already considered that. But we just dont wanna take the risk in the cold cuz we got a pretty smal boat

4. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

okay... i guess i can give up a BF secret now

a 'loco joe' colored feather

[​IMG]

that's the straight vinyl skirt shown but that color is an absolute bf magnet when trolled way back in clean water...... especially during the summer

troll a couple when moving from spot-to-spot and troll back over any spot where you've catch one-r-two (if you can find any)

chark bait's website claims they might have a coupla feathers left (i doubt many if any tho cuz i prolly woulda bot'em last time i ordered from them folk).......... that color's been discontinued for over a coupla years now

and thanx fer yer post........ i did a quick search this morning and found 6 more for $2.17 each in the heavier 9" version and that's great.......... i can cut the skirts down if i want

i've bought out most every website where i could find'em and also bot out roy's and a few other stores that had some left

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Just so I'm clear - you'd rather catch blackfins than wahoo, amberjack, grouper and makos??? The wahoo/makos seem less likely than the Aj/grouper - but nonetheles those are 2 fun fish. Don't get me wrong, I love blackfins....but i'd take the others all day over them :)

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Alright, thanks man. We had already considered that. But we just dont wanna take the risk in the cold cuz we got a pretty smal boat

Just what sized boat are you thinking of using?

7. wakerider1424

Just what sized boat are you thinking of using?
    22' twin vee cat with twin 90 4 strks.

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

When you said small boat I had visions of a 16 footer :eek:
    If you buddy boat it could help you a lot.

9. wakerider1424

When you said small boat I had visions of a 16 footer :eek:
    If you buddy boat it could help you a lot.
    hahaha nooo. We arent that dumb. Its just my uncle is a king fish/snapper guy so he has not alot of experience with deeper than 120 feet of water. But they are still good fishermen. Dont get me wrong lol.