BFT popping/jigging in october

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ono87, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ono87

ono87 Senior Member

Hi all,
    Finally managed to gets some time off to pursue my second favorite fish
    (GT #1). I would like to schedule 3 or 4 days popping and jigging for BFT. My question is where on the east coast during the first part of october will they be? I hear they go up to canada to feed, not sure I am willing to go that far. Need help. Thanks

ED

2. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

They hang out in Cape Cod, MA and Cape May, NJ during those times, but if your specifically going for them via popping, then I would consider Cape Cod, MA.

3. ono87

ono87 Senior Member

They hang out in Cape Cod, MA and Cape May, NJ during those times, but if your specifically going for them via popping, then I would consider Cape Cod, MA.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple of questions. What type of weather should I expect? I know anglers-proshop has there charter service, is their anyone you would recommend? It just me so far and maybe a friend of mine from France, but he hasn't committed at this time. Lastly, how difficult is it to find someone to share a charter? Thanks

ED

4. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple of questions. What type of weather should I expect? I know anglers-proshop has there charter service, is their anyone you would recommend? It just me so far and maybe a friend of mine from France, but he hasn't committed at this time. Lastly, how difficult is it to find someone to share a charter? Thanks

ED

Ono,

Weather in this area in October can be very unpredicatable. It can range from absolutely beautiful "Indian Summer" days that are sunny and 70 degrees with no wind, to 45 with rain and a stiff northeast wind. Expect something between the two. As far as a charter, I would recommend Rich Antonino in Green Harbor, MA. His website is: Black Rose Fishing Charters of Cape Cod, Green Harbor, Buzzards Bay, and Mass Bay . Rich specializes in "Running and Gunning" for Tuna, and he truly loves doing it. Super friendly guy who is most concerned about you having a good time.

5. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Contact Capt Dom on this site, great captain. He'll set you up on a split charter

6. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

PM me with dates if you decide to try a split charter, I'd probably be able to swing it.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

South Jeresey can be good, but not bluefin fishery is not dependable.
    Edward Island of Canada is giant fisherry.
    Oct is the prime month of bluefin tuna in Cape Cod, but weather can be a problem.
    Capt Dom, Capt Rich and Capt Chip are all good and they work together.
    Try to book as early as possible because you don't get any date soon.
    It is my unerstanding that Anglers Proshop arrange with Capt Chip for split charters on certains dates and I doubt they allow split charter in Oct as they have no problem to fill dates in Oct. I suggest to book a few days in cases of weather and ask Capt to find guys to share with you. I don't see any problem to get guys in Oct.

8. ono87

ono87 Senior Member

Thanks for the offer it's good to know if my friend bails:rolleyes: on me, I have a backup. How much experience do you have in jigging for them, rods, reels, jigs, etc... I will admit I haven't been jigging in over a year, I am very excited about the prospects of going after +75kg BFT. I plan on bringing 2 popping rods OR 8' and Smith GTK-77 Keyorlho and two jigging outfits Smith WGJ 50H and Fisherman Spinoza 5122. My plans should be firmed up by next wk. Thanks for all you input.

ED

9. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I have a trip on October 13-16 with Capt. Dom and Associates, might have a spot or 2 available.

10. ono87

ono87 Senior Member

Hey all,

Captain Rich Antonino just emailed with information on his charter services. Because of the unpredictable weather in October its best I block out most of the week to better my chances for a 3 day charter. So I will most likely be scheduling the 5, 7, 8, and 9 October dates. If I decide to take this option, how easy or difficult is it to get two other anglers to share the charter? So far it just myself, not sure if my friend will make it. Do I get two primary anglers and backups for the days we get to fish? How about the day I don’t use? How would I arrange that? I guess I could fish another day, but it’s still a big bite if I have to cover most of the week’s charter myself. Popping and Jigging fishos any interest in these dates? Anyone have this type of experience? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Ed
    PS I’ll be flying from Seattle which airport should I fly into? And I need a rental, small home or condo any ideas?

11. ono87

ono87 Senior Member

Hey all,

Captain Rich Antonino just emailed with information on his charter services. Because of the unpredictable weather in October its best I block out most of the week to better my chances for a 3 day charter. So I will most likely be scheduling the 5, 7, 8, and 9 October dates. If I decide to take this option, how easy or difficult is it to get two other anglers to share the charter? So far it just myself, not sure if my friend will make it. Do I get two primary anglers and backups for the days we get to fish? How about the day I don’t use? How would I arrange that? I guess I could fish another day, but it’s still a big bite if I have to cover most of the week’s charter myself. Popping and Jigging fishos any interest in these dates? Anyone have this type of experience? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Ed
    PS I’ll be flying from Seattle which airport should I fly into? And I need a rental, small home or condo any ideas?

12. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Hey all,

Ed

Ono,

If you ask Rich to post those dates on his website as "Shared Charter dates" I imagine he will do that for you. Rich posts Shared charter dates all the time. You can fly into Logan airport in Boston. It's only about 30 minutes drive from Green Harbor. If you don't want to fly into Logan there is also TF Green in Providence, RI. Probably an hour drive from Green Harbor. As far as renting a home for the week there are plenty of Vacation Rental sites like VRBO.com . I found this one in Plymouth in just two minutes of searching:

Plymouth, Massachusetts vacation rental by owner: 1 bedroom Cottage rental that sleeps 4. Cozy "Sycamore" Cottage