BFT jigging reel?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Smitty 20, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

I am looking for a conventional jigging reel for specifically blue fin tuna. i would like it to be able to handle around 200 lbs. and under and the boat is maneuverable. 80 lb braid with topshot? i don't know but please will someone let me know what will best suit this. thanks

2. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Smitty,

Star drag, or lever? How much do you want to spend? I just did a bunch of research on whats out there for the same application you are looking for. What I decided on was the Alutecnos Gorilla 12. Lever drag reel, capable of 40 lbs. of drag, about 27 ounces, 4.4:1 Gear ratio. There are a lot of nice reels though. Consider the Shimano Trinidad 40 or 40N, or the Penn Torque 300 if you want a star drag reel in the $350 range. Those would be the more reasonable options. There is also the Daiwa Saltiga conventional series. Lots of options depending upon what you want and how much you want to spend. Good luck!

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

There are several good choices and many good opinions on here...

Look at reels based on line capacities and drag that you want it to be able to put on fish. This is going to shorten the list. Forget "topshot." It's not needed for jigging. Short mono/flouro leader only.

Determine reel capacity by how much PE8-12 will completely fill the reel. Then do as already mentioned and decide star drag or lever, and 1-sp or 2. If dedicated jigging, I like star drag. But all have their merits. These will shorten it more.

My choice would be between:
    Star - Daiwa Saltiga 40/50, Shimano Ocea Jigger 5000P/4000P or Trinidad 40/40N.
    Lever - Alutecnos Gorilla12/12C, Accurate BX2-600/B2-30.

4. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

i have been looking level drag however star is certainly an option. i would really like to spend 600$ or under. which is right about where most options fall into place i believe. i have heard that 2-speed would pay off in the long run so i am kind of prone to looking at reels with this feature. accurate boss series any good?

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you're thinking you'll get fish to about 200lbs (which is likely this year in cape cod) then you should go with reels like b2-30, gorilla 12, trinidad 40/OJ 5000P.

you're going to want good line capacity for bluefin. even though in cape cod bay the water is shallow, i'd still prefer to have more line for big bluefin. you may be fine on reels like a saltiga 40/50, trinidad 40N/ocea 4000P and new bx2-600, but those are reels with less line cap (saltiga and bx2-600 are 3/0 and the other is a narrow spool 4/0). nice thing about the accurate is its a 2 speed which would be nice for fish over 150lbs (in which case i think b2-30 might be a better call).

its all a tradeoff in some way shape or form.

anywya, just my opinion on those. any of the ones listed will likely fit the bill just fine.

6. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

awesome thanks alot guys for the help

7. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

i have not fished it but the avet HXJ also looks like a nice 100-200lb jigging reel. lighter than a trinidad and a two speed with i think 26lbs of drag.

8. SteelingHeads

Smitty,

Where will you be fishing (just out of curiosity). Are you fishing for Bluefins in the Cape Cod / Stellwagen area, or elsewhere?

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i have not fished it but the avet HXJ also looks like a nice 100-200lb jigging reel. lighter than a trinidad and a two speed with i think 26lbs of drag.

HX is a little undergunned. the drag is 22lbs at strike, 28 at full which is less than ideal - and the gearing is off (high speed way too high) and the cranking power is compromiesd. on smaller fish i think itd be OK, but large bluefin i think there are better reels for a similar price. i know angelo said he had problems just cranking in a 10oz jig

10. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

I saw another company's site that is taking preorders for
    Accurate Bx 2-600Ws.

Reel Spec's are:

Gear Ratio: 5:1 & 2:1
    Weight: 26 oz (0.79kg)
    Mono Line Capacity: 50lb's/350yd's
    Spectra Line Capacity: 65lb/725yd's

Sounds like another good option.

11. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

yes i will be fishing stellwagen out of beverly MA

12. SteelingHeads

Smitty,

Great! It's good to see other New Englanders from time to time (no offense intended Texans!). I will be seeing you out there very soon!