Better pack your long handles......

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Looks like N tx will get its first freeze of the season this weekend.. If your going hunting you better pack your long handle underwear. The nearly full moon wont help hunting, but the rut should be on.... Good luck to all that will be hunting this weekend. We have 3 hog traps set... so hopefully we will have some sausage makings by sunday. ;)

2. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i'd rather be hunting that fishing Fork tomorrow.. gonna be cold at 7am running 65mph across the lake .... brrrrrr!!!

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I had a tuna trip that was leaving this afternoon. Owner of boat doesn't like 12' seas. Therefore, he invited me hunting in South Texas. Then work pressure built up. Stuck at work this weekend.:mad:

Good luck to you guys. Deer should be moving. Moon's not the best, but the cold front will help.

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I had a tuna trip that was leaving this afternoon. Owner of boat doesn't like 12' seas. Therefore, he invited me hunting in South Texas. Then work pressure built up. Stuck at work this weekend.:mad:

Good luck to you guys. Deer should be moving. Moon's not the best, but the cold front will help.
    I'm stuck at work this weekend too... First weekend all year:mad:
    You will just have to join us on the cat next weekend...:D

5. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

skeeter,are u in a tournament sat?

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, yall didnt miss much.. but wind and cold.. The young deer were out.. but everyone else went underground.. no pigs and no bucks over 1.5yrs old.
    I did pop a fat doe sat morn.. Anyone else do any good??? That moon and 30mph wind didnt help much at all..

7. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Still had alot of activity at my place. Can't realy say the rut is on yet. Saturday morning in all the wind that damn big boar came out early - and still lives a charmed life. Guess either I haven't shot my AR15 enough or it's just not enough for his thick skull one. Tried a head shot, he turned ran, stumbled and kept on running. Never did find any blood. Whether he's dead or didn't quit running till he hit Graham I hope he's gone - it's the same damn boar the land owner reported shooting opening day :)

A little later a 4 pointer showed (he seems to show almost every hunt, really wants to be culled I guess). Then the nice 8 (3.5 years or so) that I'm wanting for Kyle showed up - only he spotted us up in the blind and so was wary. Didn't give Kyle a shot - plus the boy had his dang gloves on and was fumbling to get them off...uggh...

Yesterday evening we watch that 4 pointer along with a doe and yearling eating in wheat plot. Also a 5 pointer and a wide 6 together (again at least a 3.5 year old deer - 14-15 inch rack). Kyle was going to take the 6, but again he was a bit slow and the deer spooked. I have got to work with that boy on his movements. Either that or I need a buck that is as slow as he is :)

This morning was the first hunt this year that I didn't see a buck - amazing how much difference there is this year from last where we saw only the two we took. However, I did see the doe and her yearling and then 4 more doe.
    I don't think we are going to take a doe though since the place seems to be at the least 1:1 if not more bucks than doe. Plus I've allready shot 3 deer this year, I'm sure Kyle will eventually get one so that's more than enough venison - I'll be giving some to family members as it is.

Not giving any of the axis away though...that there deer is tasty. And the fellow I used in Kerrville makes some excellent dry sausage.

Earl