Best way to rig plastic flying fish

Discussion in 'International reports' started by tunacrazy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

I know a lot of guys rig these baits with different hook set-ups. The ones I have just have the single large treble hook. Is this the best or can it be rigged better? Thanks Bruce

2. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

The single treble out of the tail will work fine. If you are using a pre-rigged lure you should retie the hook (assuming the prerigged is crimped like mine has been) I learned the hard way on the last trip that you shouldn't trust their crimping when I had one fail. sucks learning the hard way but, you never forget...

3. red34

red34 Guest

I added a 9/0 or so Jobu to the belly of mine and re-rigged it with better mono/crimps. Also trimmed down the wings a little for better hook-up access.

4. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

are you looking to fly one from a kite?
    if so check out my buddys pod cast on yummy rigging.
    just google chumlord fishing.
    lots of other great pod casts as well.

5. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

The single treble out of the tail will work fine. If you are using a pre-rigged lure you should retie the hook (assuming the prerigged is crimped like mine has been) I learned the hard way on the last trip that you shouldn't trust their crimping when I had one fail. sucks learning the hard way but, you never forget...

Ditto on learning the hard way. I now re-rig. Heck, it's much cheaper buying them unrigged.

6. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

the way they are rigged in the pod cast is two butterflied j hooks under the body with a circle hook stinger off the tail. proven method of the NC fleets.